PDA

View Full Version : Advice for skills test

norton2005
9th Oct 2007, 17:56
I'm at the stage now where i'm looking to do another hour or so of general handling revision and then sit my PPL skills test. I've read the information I've been given about what will be tested etc, for both general handling and nav, and just wondered if anyone has any advice about the whole thing. Gotta say I'm a bit nervous and I don't want my nerves to mess me up as when I'm solo or with my instructor I do everything fine.

I was also thinking of taking one more hour to revise diversions as I know I will get one and it's been a while since I last did one, good idea or waste of money?

Also, I've never actually done any flight performance stuff before (other than for the written test,) but I've been told I will do for the skills test, what will the examiner expect to see? Things like take off and Landing distances etc?

And my final concern is that I've never had to use the track error methods during my training. It would seem that every nav trip I've done I stayed on track or if I was off track I was so close to my waypoint or destination I just flew right to it and so now I'm worried that if i go off track on the test, I won't be very efficient with the whole track error workings, any ideas or comments or opinions?

Thankyou for any help and advice anyone can offer.

StrateandLevel
9th Oct 2007, 18:39
The examiner wants to see that you can operate the aeroplane safely and make sensible decisions. The examiner will act as a passenger so know what you have to brief him on. You can expect to have to calculate the take off distance and determine if the weight and balance is in the envelope; if you have not done this before your training is lacking. How much fuel will you need for the flight (including reserves - he may ask you what you are including in your reserves). You will get a number of aural questions so know where things are on the aircraft and what they do. e.g. What are you looking for on your final Mag check and Why?

Your instructor should advise you if you are suitably prepared however it seems he has missed out some fairly basic training:
I've never actually done any flight performance stuff before
I've never had to use the track error methods during my training

Contacttower
9th Oct 2007, 19:08
I've never had to use the track error methods during my training

As long as your familiar with it (I'm sure it will be in your navigation training book) then it is easy to use. I'm not really that suprised that you haven't been given flight performance training; it does often get missed out. For my skills test I had to do W&B put not take off and landing distances (although I make a mental note that from my club's runway in ISA conditions the take off distance of a PA28-161 was 437m).

gcolyer
9th Oct 2007, 19:10
Don't worry about it. As soon as you start the engine you will slip straight in to procedure. The examiner will pretty much leave you to it bar telling you what he wants next.

As for what he wants I can only tell you about my skills test. Basically the examiner checked my plog and route and then off went. Pre flight, engine start, taxy and take off. I flew the first leg without him saying a single word, I guess he was making sure I was doing my FREDA checks and keeping a good look out plus updating my plog times. Half way to my second waypoint I was given a diversion (which I had not planned). rather than using the whiz wheel i semi cheated (**see note at the bottom**) I set course for my diversion, the examiner then asked me how long it will take, my ETA and fuel burn and how much fuel I will have left.

Once the diversion destination was in sight I was asked to start heading back to my departure point and to climb to 3000 feet. once I reached 3000 feet I was asked to slow down to stall speed plus 10% to do some slow flight and slow flight 360 degree turns. I was then asked to do a power on and a power off stall. once they were done I was then asked to do steep turns to the left and the right. With those doe I was asked to rejoin the circuit. I then had to do a standard landing, flapless landing, short field landing and takeoff, soft field landing and take off. We then changed runways to do cross wind landings both with flaps and flapless. On the final take off from the cross wind runway the examiner pulled the throttle to idle and told me to carry out a PFL, I had enough height to carry on round to the runway in use and land. I was surprised the examiner made me carry the PFL out to actual landing. We then parked the plane up the examiner shook my hand and said well done captain.
job done.

Things to make sure you do:

1) carry out all checks regularly, if it helps say them out loud as you do them....i did.

2) If you fluff up deal with it and dont give up.

3) Remember clearing turns and HASELL checks

4) Update times and fuel on your plog

(**My little cheat**)

Ok using the whizz wheel in the air is a pain in the arse. This is what i done and still do.

1) Get a pencil with no markings on it and make sure it is not round. On one face mark 5nm intervals and write each interval value next to the mark.

2) Rotate the pencil to the next face and at the 5nm interval write the time that it takes for that specific aicraft type to fly that 5nm at standard cruise and not taking in to account wind correction. obviously use the whizz wheel.

3) Rotate the pencil to the next face and at the 5nm interval write the amount of fuel burned for 5nm at what ever time it took to fly the distance. Obviously use the whizz wheel and refer to the POH for fuel burns.

Here is how it is usefull when i got my diversion. On the map i marked my current location and line the pencil up with my destination, from that i got a rough bearing (you can then line the pencil up in a compass rose to get a better more accurate heading). I used the NM part of the pencil to get a rough idea of how far way the divert is, I can then tell roughly how long it will take and how much fuel i will use, and obviously how much fuel i have left.

It is not 100% accurate but is good enough for an emergency divert. i have heard of other people that have done the same.

chrisbl
9th Oct 2007, 20:22
I cannot add to anything above but I would advise the following:

1) Make sure you eat before your test and get your blood sugar levels right. You will burn energy like mad both from thinking and working the aircraft.

2) Keep your fluid up. You will also sweat buckets so dont get dehydrated either.

3) Slow everything down to a pace you are comfortable - dont rush anything -thats when you could make a mistake.

4) Do try and get a good nights sleep the night before. I makes a hell of a difference if you are well rested.

5) Try and relax. The "grip of death" on the control column does not help with smooth control.

6) If you make a mistake, dont worry about it and hope the examiner missed it. He will not have missed it so it is better to admit it, explain what happened and what you should have done. Plenty of bonus points for being effective at self evaluation and understanding what's going on than simply being able to replicate by rote learnt tasks.

Lunchmaster
9th Oct 2007, 21:18
I go along with most of the above but would just emphasise again - relax! The examiner is there to assess your judgement and safe command of the aircraft so if you make an error just admit it, point it out and take corrective actions.
I was very nervous before getting into the air but once established on track, getting my FREDA checks right and finding that my timings and planning were bang on put me at ease.
The diversion was my main concern but I nailed that and found the general handling went well after the pressure was off. There were things I wish I could have done better but I passed and that was the main thing.
Now the learning begins for real...
Very best of luck!
Lunchmaster

modelman
9th Oct 2007, 23:28
I was advised to take the test in 2 parts so I did the Nav first,landed for a drink and relax for about an hour and then did the handling part.
I found PFL's tricky so did some revision on them ( with an instructor) earlier that week.
On the diversion,make sure you are not going to fly through any hazards (mine would have taken me through a winch launch area but I noticed that and climbed above),don't spend too long calculating drift as the diversion will not be inordinately long,mark the max drift on your map before departure ( never been able to use a whizzwheel in flight myself),six minute marks on your diversion track can be very useful.Remember,you do not have to divert the moment you are requested to,pick a convenient landmark before turning to give yourself time to plan,assess hazards etc.Talk to the examiner telling him what you are planning,he is not an ogre but is looking at your general flying ability/safety.Point out other traffic when you see it,my examiner said (after the test) he would not be happy if he had been looking at traffic for 5 mins without me spotting it.
When lining up,I realised I had forgot to check the DI but confessed,set it ok and no more was said.I reckon a good,perceptive examiner ( which is what they all should be I guess) will make small allowances for exam fright.
Don't worry about asking the FE to hold items for you like you will do when you have a passenger,no need to balance every thing on your own lap.
Explain what you are doing when approaching to land (speeds you are aiming to achieve etc)
Try to get off as early as possible,as landing into a low sun is not a lot of fun.
Very best of luck,let us know how you got on.
MM

rusty sparrow
10th Oct 2007, 07:05
I did my Licence Skills Test (similar to a GFT, to revalidate my licence) last month. I was concerned about the PFL so walked it though on the ground - 2500' engine dead, and actions through to landing on the selected field.

Then I just decided to forget the nerves and enjoy the flying.

I made a mental note of the wind direction on take off and was lucky enough to have an smokestack showing the wind direction very clearly when the examiner called the failure. I immediately went to best glide speed and turned downwind - everything went according to the earlier rehersal right down to the 100' point when lined up for landing on the field and then climbing away.

Just relax - don't put yourself under pressure to pass as that can make you tense. Make sure you always have trim set so that you can fly by your fingertips - easier and less energy wasted.

Good luck:ok:

norton2005
10th Oct 2007, 15:07
Thanks for all the advice guys. Now all I need is a couple of days good weather.

DBisDogOne
10th Oct 2007, 20:10
The 'Marked-up pencil' trick gcolyer outlines is very useful, I used it myself. Just one thing to add and something that served me well was: When you make a cock-up in the Nav say, keep cool, 'fess up quickly, don't hope the FE hasn't noticed (they will have!),then go on to state why and what you are going to do to solve the problem and do it. That's what they'd prefer to see, someone who can sort themselves out and think on the fly rather than spot on perfection which is a little unreasonable for a PPL student with not alot of hours to their name.

Oh, and good luck!!! :ok:

kiwi chick
10th Oct 2007, 20:17
My instructor took me for a "mock test" the day before my F/W PPL flight test, which did a lot for my confidence I have to say!

My advice (I'll keep this short):

1) Lookouts
2) Lookouts
3) Lookouts
4) HASELL checks
5) Lookouts
6) If you cock up, ADMIT IT!

Good luck!

KC :ok:

norton2005
20th Oct 2007, 15:56
Hey Guys, thanks for all the advice, and just to let you know that I passed my PPL test on thursday. Could not have asked for a better day to do it on aswell. And just on a side note, does anyone know what's up with farnborough radar? I've tried to contact them 3 times in the last few weeks and never get a response, so I keep switching back to london info.

walkabout
20th Oct 2007, 16:40
The new east freq, 123.225, was down a couple of days ago due transmitter failure (according to a controller on 125.250) and its NOTAMed today as unavailable due staff shortages if I recall correctly.

125.250 has certainly been there the last couple of days and working their socks off.

Well done with the skills test, have fun flying.

W

CaptainDan
31st Mar 2008, 20:19
Hi folks!

I'm about to take my NPPL skills test and am getting a little nervous. Please could anyone give me any good advice? I'm worried about the diversion and temporaryly becoming unsure of my position. What if i'm asked to divert and there is no obvious features ahead, such as a large town where i can draw my line from to the diversion point. It would be hard to do this from a really small village in a cluster of villages.

Thanks

CD