PDA

View Full Version : turweston for grand prix

Vulcan607
9th Oct 2007, 16:15
Hi,

has anyone ever used Turweston for the Silverstone Grand Prix?

I'm looking into booking tickets for it next year and would like to fly down with a few friends, just wondered if there are easy transport links from the airfield to the racing track and if anyone can share any experiences from the past please do so.

Regards

scooter boy
9th Oct 2007, 16:27
Hi Vulcan,

I have used Turweston for the past 2 years in my R44.
It certainly beats the ripoff prices at Silverstone (£400+ landing fee last year and you don't even get race tickets - I can afford this but would rather spend it on other things).
in 2006 I did the trip following the 4 x 4 off roaders on my scooter (Di Blasi).
This year a very angry farmer blocked our way so we found an alternative route by road.

You could do it on a folding bike or moped or even pay £80 return per person to be carried across country in a 4 x 4 - the choice is yours, I'll be there next year though on my moped provided the weather is OK.

You can almost always get tickets from "unofficial sources" near the main gate so I don't bother to buy in advance just in case the wx is pants.

SB

tangovictor
9th Oct 2007, 17:30
Hi,

has anyone ever used Turweston for the Silverstone Grand Prix?

I would have thought, the main straight was a bit too short, and the lack
of proper corners, might not help, however a good view could be had from the top of the PFA building, or whatever its called now ! ;)

will5023
9th Oct 2007, 18:06
If you are going to use Turweston, make sure you know when you can leave, think they are strict on departure times, and you can not leave after airfield hours, as at some airfields.
Will.

robin
9th Oct 2007, 19:49
I used the service this year, and it was great - though expensive. The Land-Cruiser transfer was very efficient and saved oodles of time.
The transfer takes you to the Club Corner entrance, so you may have a long stroll to your seating area.
The problem for me was that, as a VFR pilot, I was caught in a nasty little trap of having spent a lot of money (non-refundable) for the transfer, I nearly got caught out on the return flight because of seriously nasty weather.
They need to have your money a month beforehand and you need to nominate an arrival time. In reality, there is a lot more flexiblility about the timings. Departures is not a problem either, so long as you are away by around 18.00 hrs

Vulcan607
9th Oct 2007, 21:31
would there be any problem if I planned to go in on the Saturday morning and depart monday morning/afternoon to head home then?

Cessna 210 Heavy
9th Oct 2007, 21:33
I did this in 2006 and it was very good.
I just dropped a couple of friends off who were going to the GP and got the 4x4 transfer, I went off to Bruntingthorpe for the day.
My departure to Turweston was delayed, due to RVR so I ended up getting there about 1hr late. I called them and they were fine with that. There are loads of restrictions for entering and exiting the zone so make sure you read up.
I was interesting but the radio was crazy, and so busy so make sure you have your eyes open.