PDA

View Full Version : old wifes tales

dont overfil
9th Oct 2007, 13:36
Red sky at night shepherds delight- Red sky in the morning shepherds warning.
I can understand the first part, but what's the scientific explanation for the second part.
Of course I would never suggest using it as part of your pre flight planning!!
DO

Don Coyote
9th Oct 2007, 13:56
The higher level clouds that precede a weather front show as a red glow in the early morning sun.

Hence a morning red sky is a warning that worse weather is to come.

airborne_artist
9th Oct 2007, 13:56
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/red-sky-at-night.html

dont overfil
9th Oct 2007, 14:43
Hi dc
I understand that but why different at night?
do

Il Duce
9th Oct 2007, 15:25
and "red sky at mid-day, this must be Chernobyl."

Don Coyote
9th Oct 2007, 15:37
By night it means sunset.

After a front passes the height of the cloud rises and it is the sun against this high cloud that gives a really good sunset. There is no cloud further west to prevent the sun shining against this high cloud so therefore there must be clear weather following.

PingDit
9th Oct 2007, 15:42
'No red sky at all'....You're pi$$ed and you've just fallen flat on your face.

dont overfil
9th Oct 2007, 15:56
But- a front arrives at first with high cloud and most of our weather in GB comes from the west. I'm going to the pub to debate it there.

LH2
9th Oct 2007, 23:24
Wild guess here is by the time morning comes the front in question has already passed? :uhoh:

Mr_Hippo
10th Oct 2007, 02:20
Liverpool WWII version

Red sky at night, Sailor's delight
Red sky in the morning, Birkenhead Docks on fire!

airac
10th Oct 2007, 07:52
Hi dc
I understand that but why different at night?
do

dont overfil

Wild guess here number two Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that the earth spins . Think about it????:ugh:

Dave Gittins
10th Oct 2007, 12:29
I thought it was :

Red sky at night - the barn's caught alight.

Coat already on

Fright Level
10th Oct 2007, 12:36
I thought the red sky was created by sunlight diffracting through high pressure, so if the red sky was at night, the high pressure was in the west (and with prevailing westerlies, on it's way to UK). If the sky was red in the morning, then the high pressure is over Europe, east of us, with the low already approaching the UK. Take a look at some typical North Atlantic weather charts/videos and see how the systems predominantly move along from west to east.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/weatherwise/factfiles/forecasting/traditional.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northyorkshire/weather/2003/02/11/hudson_roundup.shtml

Dave Gittins
10th Oct 2007, 13:07
I think it depends on the amount of water vapour in the atmosphere and thus the amount of diffraction of the last of the sunlight as the sun drops below the horizon. If it is sufficinetly dry the red end of the spectrum is the LAST you see.

In the morning if it is sufficiently moist you see the red end FIRST as the sun rises. (often shining on the bottom of clouds )

dont overfil
10th Oct 2007, 14:59
eddnr
This sounds the most likely theory. Thanks to all. Oh yes! pigdit, the sky was black on the way back from the pub.
DO

jamestkirk
10th Oct 2007, 15:59
'Look at the sock or you're an absolute cock'.

yes, a bit offensive but it does roll of the tongue

Noah Zark.
10th Oct 2007, 21:48
When the plover takes flight, there'll be rain afore night. ((The late, great Benny Hill.)