PDA

View Full Version : Turboprop/Jet/Tropopause

sispanys ria
7th Oct 2007, 22:31
Hi, considering regional (short distance) ops, what would be the link between tropopause altitude and acft power source optimization ?
In other words, is a jet engine more advantageous than turbo under cold climates for short distance flights ?
If yes, does a turboprop become more interesting under hot climate for same distance ?

Pugilistic Animus
9th Oct 2007, 22:40
Well, there's a reason it took a while to find a hitter

the science /aerodynamics/ operational/legal economic/weather and performance issues that must be stated to answer your query requires a long and complex explaination to be thorough as all pilots are:

check out the practical test standards for dispatchers and you'll see you've asked a question that requires a long-winded answer:

I'll try to ponder a reasonable [ and short] explanation, but ---I hope someone beats me to it:ugh:

I hope I can at least give your post a new light---one little reply may just do it

barit1
10th Oct 2007, 00:27
Usually -

The turboprop uses less runway and less fuel for the same payload.

The jet (turbofan) covers the distance in less time, permitting greater daily ton-mile (or pax-mile) utilization. More round trips per day on average, with lower crew cost per trip.

So you determine the constraints on the problem first, then examine which plane/propulsion package pays off better.