PDA

View Full Version : Airservices Australia recruitment

wench007
7th Oct 2007, 10:35
What's the latest news on the recent AsA recruitment? I reliably hear that some offers have finally been made to Australian citizens.

ASD
7th Oct 2007, 12:02
Dont know... but hopefully there will be a global recruitment round 2 in a few years time again... and hopefully its for Tower / Approach Radar controllers :E

divingduck
7th Oct 2007, 18:56
They did recruit some tower and approach controllers....they just won't be working tower and approach! They will be on TOPs or something else without a radar:E

wolf_wolf
8th Oct 2007, 10:10
But I heard TOPS does have a radar, of sorts, now..... Isn't Broome Approach starting up next year ? :ok:

RAAFASA
9th Oct 2007, 12:32
Yep, they've offered BN enroute to one guy from Amberley. Other offers have been made to one each from Oakey, Townsville and Darwin (not sure if they're for Brissie or Melb). Course starts in Jan and runs for 17 weeks.

RAAFASA
9th Oct 2007, 12:41
If you like the idea of living in a capital city that's 1000s of kms away from the rest of the country, ASA are recruiting for Perth TWR and APP controllers as we speak. Check out the website. I imagine it will be quite popular - Perth seems to have quite an attraction for ATCs (evidenced by the fact that APP is still being done from there rather than from ML centre as originally planned!)

wench007
9th Oct 2007, 12:54
What were the pay conditions like with the offers? Are AsA still being tight %$#@& ?

CrocDundee
10th Oct 2007, 16:24
oh... nice to see again some motion on this thread

Course starts in Jan and runs for 17 weeks

Is it true a course about to start in January? :confused:

I know of some Overseas saying "no thank you" to AsA also just because of the short termed and communicated entry dates for courses scheduled in Oct and Nov...

mana
10th Oct 2007, 17:24
Hi "Mana",

Thanks for your enquiry.

The recent Global recruitment of ATC's is complete. Please regularly check our website for any opportunities that may arise in the future.

Kind regards,

Dyonne Campbell
National Recruitment
People and Change
Ph:02 6268 4973
Fax:02 6268 4365
E-mail: [email protected]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
Airservices Australia
Ph 1300 301 120 (within Australia)
Ph +61 2 6268 4111 (outside Australia)
Fax +61 2 6268 5683
www.airservicesaustralia.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

CAUTION: This e-mail is confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not disclose or use the information contained
in it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please tell us
immediately by return e-mail and delete the document.

Airservices Australia does not represent, warrant or guarantee
that the integrity of this communication is free of errors, virus
or interference.

wench007
11th Oct 2007, 14:25
Nice work on the official response Mana, I also like the inverted commas... nice touch. :D

Hopefully we'll hear more in the "not to distant" future about the result of their "Global" Recruitment!

Knackers
11th Oct 2007, 22:22
Perth seems to have quite an attraction for ATCs

Its called "lifestyle". Knock-off work and on the beach in 20 minutes.

We're now 45 short - this time last year we were 15 over!

SM4 Pirate
12th Oct 2007, 00:47
We're now 45 short - this time last year we were 15 over! By whose measure? ROSTIMA will take care of that; oh then the SDE, oh then the NAS G (ICAO G) for GAFA and then Free Flight with a functional FPCP and think of all those excess bodies.

Oh yes and lets not forget the 30 or so Team Leaders / UTMs / Aisle Supervisors that may get VR if the commission agrees with the union; re the Potentially Surplus issue. Maybe we are short after-all; did someone mention TIBA?

All this before we get into the CA/Collective AWA negotiations; We're in for more trouble waters, one would think.

aluminium persuader
12th Oct 2007, 09:37
Vacancy notice seems to have gone from the website! Has there been a deluge of applicants? :E

ap

suunto22
12th Oct 2007, 11:12
On the external website the other day there was Perth Twr and also Regional Twrs Ops Support. Apparently these had been placed incorrectly and should have been internal only.
As you would expect.

bluerider777
15th Oct 2007, 03:10
Just to clarify a little, the RAAF recruits will not be part of the international drive (IMHO), they are usually taken onto a 6 month (or thereabouts) length course to be trained for ENR. In general, they start at the bottom of the pecking order (pay wise) but sometimes git a leg up.

The internationals are taken onto a short course (3-4 weeks) and put straight into ENR at higher salary scales, closer to the top of FPC.

BTW, anyone know why all the NZ's pulled out???? I assume they got a better home grown offer...

Blue :confused:
ps love those graphics :ok:

TinPusher
15th Oct 2007, 19:06
BTW, anyone know why all the NZ's pulled out???? I assume they got a better home grown offer...

No better offer unfortunately...... more to do with the nonsensical idea to bond people for the privilage of cross training to the Ozzy system I believe.

TP

SM4 Pirate
16th Oct 2007, 05:30
I've heard the 45 number is right on the money; taking into account the number of OS recruits due to start & rate before the end of February(sic); two courses of them, and then factoring in the huge staff savings by returning to single person night shifts, we will be 29 short at the end of February.

Another rumour was that an OS recruit made it all the way through the process before being 'caught out' that he'd never actually had an ATC licence; surely that can't be true, can it?

aluminium persuader
16th Oct 2007, 15:00
It's possibly technically true - not all states issue a licence. I know of one whose approach is "you've passed the course; you've got your certificate; you don't need another bit of paper with "licence" printed on it as well.

On the other theme I know of 2 UK guys, both currently Terminal controllers, starting on the 17wks Jan course. don't know who else may or may not be on it though.

ap

RAAFASA
31st Oct 2007, 12:57
16wk course for the RAAFies and no allowances/assistance with costs that the OS recruits are getting. Which seems a little on the nose given that whether you've come from London or Townsville, you are still out of pocket while living and studying in Melb yet maintaing your family home elsewhere.

Guess ASA are still relying on the "grass is greener" theory to make the RAAFies swallow their pride and permit their experience (one is an ex-Darwin APP supervisor which = international airport civilian traffic experience with the added bonus of understanding military ops for the next Tandem Thrust or Pitch Black) to be ignored.

What ASA offers mostly is location stability. Wonder what the RAAFies who jumped ship to stay in Brissie will think of the plan to move Bris centre to ML in the next 10 years? Better than Tindal I guess... maybe.

Fox3snapshot
31st Oct 2007, 14:48
Unfortunately mate, its been the same for many a year now and many more to come.

At the end of the day you need (as we all did) to tick the ICAO accredited international civil unit box to get out of the military circles. This for us RAAFy types, typically only comes with OZ and NZ so they have you by the bollox.

Why would they need to offer you extra incentive when basically unless you luck in with some random overseas UN contract or similar, you have nowhere to go on your SATC licence.

They certainly have never done the ex-mil any major favors over the years, and never will.

Might change though with the amount of the ol clan infiltrating ASA though :E

Knackers
1st Nov 2007, 23:08
Oh, I think they've got plans, heaps of plans. The managers live for big plans. The problem is that there aren't any implementation plans. Its the "crash through or crash" mangement technique.

bluerider777
3rd Nov 2007, 07:57
Wow, a management technique - where did they learn that???:rolleyes:

Blue
ps At least 2 TIBA tonight.

RAAFASA
3rd Nov 2007, 11:17
Yep, Fox, it's a case of "la plus ca change" between the two earstwhile civil servant agencies, isn't it?! As the nickname suggests, I've worked for both wonderful establishments and have to say the RAAF is actually better managed (never thought I'd say that out loud)!

ASA, of course, has much deeper pockets and far less impact on its employees (re: postings/deployments/uniforms etc) so I guess who you choose to work for depends on whether you prefer swings or roundabouts!

The ICAO licence issue seems to be popular with the younger crew who are keen to head OS. And, of course, the RAAF still mumble from time to time about accreditation (although they'd be nuts to do it. The current attrition rate is unsustainable - imagine if RAAFies had ICAO licences too! 44WG would want to install self closing doors and automated lighting pretty damn quickly!

My info on previous RAAF-to-ASA-controllers is that although they took the pay cuts and shoddy treatment initially, they managed to put in enough paperwork to get backpaid eventually (re: the old FPC system). The new guys are planning the same action and apparently have received encouragement from HR to do so.

And I've heard of two new offers in the last week to RAAFies (both for ML centre) - more OS people politely declining perhaps?

As to the 10 yr plan to move to ML - I believe it's in the mix at the moment. My source is reliable - of course ASA are not though - and 10 years is a long time, plenty of years to stuff it up (I hope!):hmm: