PDA

View Full Version : What's required to requalify as an Instructor

BoeingBoy
6th Oct 2007, 21:25
After many years of flying Boeings my time to retirement is starting to appear on the horizon. It's been suggested that I return to my roots and renew my FI rating.

I have not instructed for thirty years, but in the seventies had a full instructors rating and some TRE's on turbo props and GA types. I was a commercial instructor at AST before taking up air taxi work in 77.

I presume that a log book check at the Belgrano is then followed by the order to fly whatever is required, which will probably be near to the full course to requalify, but my question is really related to what the ground study syllabus will be. Do I have to go right the way through all my old ATPL syllabus or merely cover the PPL and IMC rating theory.

I have no trepidation of learning all the old patter again, nor doing preflight briefings, but the thought of a 40 minute lecture on induced drag is not filling me with enthusiasm whilst in my mid 50's.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Dave Barrington.

IRRenewal
7th Oct 2007, 09:38
FI(A) Renewal
For the holder of a FI(A) to renew the rating they shall complete items b) & c) as for revalidation within the last 12 months before renewal.
For a FI(A) rating that has expired by more than 5 years, application should be sent to PLD for endorsement together with the appropriate fee as per Scheme of Charges. In addition, applicants will also be required to submit completed form SRG\1153 to demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Authority that knowledge of the relevant parts of JAR-FCL and JAR-OPS has been acquired.
An existing FI who has not previously passed CPL level examinations whose FI rating has expired by more than 5 years will be required to pass the JAR-CPL theoretical knowledge examination before the FI rating can be renewed.
Not a lot to go by, but since you have been in current flying practice you should be ok on the JAR stuff and there will be no need to do any exams again.
Looks like you need to find an FIE, do whatever training he/she deems required, pass the test and attend one of those instructor seminars. Oh, and pay the CAA some money.
Download LASORS here. (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1591)

BoeingBoy
7th Oct 2007, 15:54
My deepest thanks for the reply IRR.

I will have a happy hour or three reading the LASORS.

BB

VFE
7th Oct 2007, 21:36
Lindsay Brown at Bourn Airfield, nr Cambridge does all the ex-RAF and airline pilot boys. If you are retireing then his slower paced way of life should suit you. ;)

VFE.

BoeingBoy
7th Oct 2007, 21:48
Thanks VFE. I'm based in Cheshire so Cambridge is a bit of a distance for me. (I was flying with the Cambrdge Flying Group on the tigers for some time so know the A14 intimately!!)

If I need to do the course I guess it will with Primo at Ravenair at LPL.

BB