PDA

View Full Version : Setting Standard 1013?

RAPA Pilot
6th Oct 2007, 17:31
Hi All,
I was just wondering what SOP's other airlines use to set the standard pressure setting when climbing away after departure. Departure plates usually publish Transition altitudes. Do you use this figure? Some crews say "above MSA, set standard".
I would like some feed back and thoughts from others please.
Thanks,
Col.

Caudillo
6th Oct 2007, 17:36
A/ "Set Standard"

B/ "Standard Cross-Checked (ideally whilst making the sign of an X with the arms) passing flight level xxx now"

A/ "Check" (or "Checked" if you wish to add an extra flourish)

B/ "But.. I already did a cross-check"

A/ "Check"

B/ "Why not, it's free.. Check, Check Check"

A/ "Check"

Mercenary Pilot
6th Oct 2007, 17:37
Some crews say "above MSA, set standard".I say LEVEL BUST! :eek:

http://www.levelbust.com/

airman13
6th Oct 2007, 17:40
We set standard when passing transition altitude.

A Very Civil Pilot
6th Oct 2007, 17:59
We set standard when cleared to a flight level, but keep QNH on the standby until passing transition/MSA/MFA (whichever is highest).

G--SPOT
6th Oct 2007, 18:27
We (BA) do the same as the above poster, and when cleared direct to flight level after departure wait until above acceleration alt.

RAPA Pilot
7th Oct 2007, 10:00
A V.Civil Pilot,
Thanks for that. But if you are on a SID which has a stop climb at say FL50 then there wouldn't necessarily be a re-clearance from ATC to a flight level so when would you set standard in this case? At TA?
Col.

UP and Down Operator
7th Oct 2007, 10:04
In this case we would do it when passing acceleration altitude. That should give you at least 1000 ft to play with.

asuweb
7th Oct 2007, 10:44
We set standard when cleared to a FL. If cleared to a FL on the ground, we set standard at or shortly after acceleration alt. QNH always on standby.

8che
7th Oct 2007, 11:12
RAPA

If you wait for transition altitude you will eventually have a level bust !

If the stop was FL50 then on a low QNH day if you wait for transition you will bust the level. (e.g Birmingham). Particulary on higher performance jets.

The only bomb proof way is by setting standard (on your primary altimeters) as soon as you are cleared to a flight level. On a low level off that could be after or even before flap acceleration depending on aircraft type.

You dont wait for ATC you just set it !

judge11
7th Oct 2007, 12:09
Setting 'standard' at transition altitude appears to still be firmly entrenched in 'continental' SOPs but most UK operators, perhaps following BA's lead(?), set 'standard' as soon as clearance to a flight level is obtained. It is undoubtedly a robust means of avoiding flight level busts. Of course, 'airmanship' (as much a dying trait as 'common sense') might dictate that where terrain might be a factor during departure QNH might be retained a little longer and set passing MSA. As always, flexibility (another trait which is gradually disappearing from the mental make-up of many of today's automaton crews) is the key.:ok:

haveago
7th Oct 2007, 12:51
Ek change when passing transition altitude/level...The call is PF "Transition..std set and cross checked" PNF then checks and says the same...
Personally I prefer the BA way. Change when cleared to a flight level, it seems much more fool proof!!

Gullyone
7th Oct 2007, 13:18
If you wait for transition on a low pressure day at a place like BHX, on a modern aircraft, you are in for a level bust. I have to say the "BA" way is the way to go

RAPA Pilot
7th Oct 2007, 20:35
Thanks everyone, you have indeed answered my question.
Cheers.
Col