PDA

View Full Version : Induced Drag Lesson Plan

timjimreed
6th Oct 2007, 16:23
HELP!! needed for classroom lesson plan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HELP!!!

I'm doing my Instructors Rating and planning a 40 minute classroom lesson on drag.

Have been trying to use the CD-Rom i got from Bristol Goundschool for the ATPL exams but it's corrupted and won't let me view it on my new pc. Also, lent the text books to a friend who's taken them to america whilst doing his hour building.

Does anybody have the notes either from Bristol GS or from the Oxford cd-rom that they could email me? Is it all in pdf format?

Cheers/Tim

P.S. Not sure that I could talk for 40 minutes on drag ......any hints or tips also appreciated

barit1
6th Oct 2007, 19:32
Google gave me 157,000 responses to "induced drag" (in parentheses). You can probably find something at an introductory level like this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_drag).

I note some of the sites try to separate Bernoulli from Newtonian reaction (downwash) effects. I'm not so sure I'd go down that path, since the two are inseparable in my book.

DFC
6th Oct 2007, 20:49
How on earth are you going to drag induced drag out to a 40 minute lecture. :}

Are you training to be a pilot or a scientist?

Regards,

DFC

Nathan Parker
6th Oct 2007, 22:31
Not sure that I could talk for 40 minutes on drag ......any hints or tips also appreciatedAll sorts of ways. Although there are a zillion types of drag, you can emphasize that *all* aerodynamic forces derive from one of two sources: pressure differences and skin friction.

Induced drag, for example, is due to pressure differences around the airfoil.

People often attribute powers to lift that in reality depend on drag. Want to increase your glide range? Reduce drag, not increase lift. Want to climb more steeply? Reduce drag, don't increase lift. Want to decrease the influence of ground effect? Increase drag, don't worry about lift.

Giving them good information is a good start, but forcing them to integrate what you tell them into how they think about flying is something else entirely. You need to hit the same points over and over and over again.

Dan Winterland
6th Oct 2007, 22:34
Forty minutes? It is a lesson - not a Lecture. Getting student participation and elicting answers will take a large chunk of that.