PDA

View Full Version : Please Could Somebody Help Me Out

basin
6th Oct 2007, 14:38
Hi all,

In the uk we have the ANO, what is the applicability of these regs when flying abroad? (including maintence, definitions of VFR, what night and day is defined as for the purposes of PPL holders).

Also...

The ANO states that a licence holder must not act as a memeber of the flight crew of an aircraft reg in the uk if they know that their physical or mental condition renders them temporarily or permanently unfit ro do so.

BUT

The JAR FCL provision is different in that is more stringent, mentioning surgical operations needing to be reported to an AME, and other things like clinic admissions of more than 12 hrs etc.

MY QUESTION IS: which do we take notice of!!! very confusing!

My personal take on it would be just to stick with what is in the ANO, as this is what has been enacted as law in the uk. The fact that the JAR FCL provision is slightly different, and the fact that my medical quotes JAR FCL 3, is the bit that i cant get to grips with!

Hope somebody can help

Many thanks

Basin

EvilKitty
6th Oct 2007, 15:22
The ANO has worldwide applicability to registrations and licences issued by a delegated authority (i.e. the CAA).

Where the rules as stated in the ANO differ from those of a supranational authority of which the UK is a signatory (e.g. JAA and ICAO), then those differences will have been filed with those authorities.

So if you have a CAA medical, then it is issued as compliant with JAR-FCL3 with UK differences.

I'm sure someone will correct if I've got any of that wrong :)

dublinpilot
6th Oct 2007, 16:39
Do you have a specific concern? If so asking that may get you a clearer answer.

In terms of defination of night and day...check the UK ANO. It probably does one of two things

1) Defines night and day worlwide for a G reg aircraft, or
2) Deindes night and day in the UK and elsewhere unless the authority of the other country gives a different definatio.

The Irish equilivant does the second option.

dp

Curtis E Carr
6th Oct 2007, 19:42
I thought basin's handle rang a bell. I remember me and others answering a earlier query he had concerning applicability of the ANO etc in other states. As is customary with basin, there was no acknowledgement, not even a thank you. I therefore do not feel inclined to answer his current plea for help.

machel
6th Oct 2007, 19:57
Basin, as far as I understand it, if you have a JAR-PPL, then you have to comply with JAR as well as UK rules.

If you have a medical issue it's better to 'phone the CAA MEs and ask. I did that last year as I was due to get a surgical operation. I was told you must report if you receive an appointment to have an operation - even if the appointment is some time in the future. The CAA MEs are very friendly and happy to answer any queries. I've had to contact them more than once and have nothing but praise for the way they handled my queries. :)

DFC
6th Oct 2007, 20:13
You are not a lawyer I think so there is no requirement for you to interpret or even have ever read the ANO or any other legal text. (Even if some like to debate it ;) )

You are a pilot I think so you must be familiar with the AIP for your country and the other countries you fly to especially the GEN part which gives you all the rules and differences that may exist from the international standards (ICAO) which you will have been taught during your training (if it was done as per JAR-FCL).

Simply put you are required to comply with the most restrictive version of any requirement when abroad.

With regard to the medical question please check the uk AICs (pink I think) where there is further guidance.

regards,

DFC

basin
12th Oct 2007, 16:07
Many thanks chaps