PDA

View Full Version : Flying near Yellowstone, WY.?

SkyHawk-N
5th Oct 2007, 18:48
Just planning a trip next year flying from East to West Coast USA. Obviously the Continental Divide will be the greatest challenge and have chosen to cross at Yellowstone to take in the scenary around the park and also see the Grand Tetons. The map looks scary to someone who lives near the Fens, I have a fair bit of high altitude flying in the USA but not much near to or over 12,000ft/14,000ft mountains (although I've read a good number of books on the subject :8).

Does anyone have experience of flying in the area who can provide some ideas on VFR scenic routes? The trip will take place in June or July so DA will have to be considered.

david viewing
5th Oct 2007, 20:21
Skyhawk - taking your avatar literally it can certainly be done in a 172.

I went up to Cody (Yellowstone Regional) from Arizona in a 172 a couple of summers ago. There's not much prospect of flying over the park itself since the terrain goes up to 11,000 or so and you are 'requested' to remain 2000' above it by the park service, though I suppose it could be done.

All my trips up there have been solo in the 160Hp 172R and I'd think carefully about taking passengers. Having said that, by departing at 6am and finishing flying by 11, much of the DA bogey can be laid aside, as can the turbulence demon. Maybe a 180 Hp 172 with one passenger would have the same comfort factor as my 160 has solo.

I've never been concerned about climb or takeoff performance, but I've been very careful to choose days when downdrafts in the mountain passes are at a minimum (another reason for early mornings). I've been through high passes in the Rockies (like the Monarch) without any cause for concern but I have to say the terrain further west can be more intimidating as the searchers for poor Mr Fossett are demonstrating.

From Cody I went through what is known as the South Pass between Thermopolis, Wyo and Rock Springs, Wyo , terrain not much over 9000' all the way. The section from Rock Springs to Carbon, Utah followed the Green River and some of the most beautiful scenery (from the air) that I've seen in the US. From Carbon you can virtually follow the I-15 all the way to Vegas and LA if that's where you are going.

Alternatively, going west from Cody you could route N around the top of the park via Bozeman almost at the Canadian border and keep going to Seattle. I hope to do that sometime but it really is remote terrain up there.

Cody is a good base for visiting the park (50mi to the entrance) with car rental and plenty of hotels. Be sure to take the LDW on the car - there's a lot of wildlife up there! Yellowstone itself is the most fascinating, amazing, breathtaking place you could ever imagine.

I hope you get to do this. Please let us know how you get on!

SkyHawk-N
5th Oct 2007, 20:43
Thanks for your informative response David.

You are quite right about the aircraft, a 160Hp 172. My final destination is the Oregon coast and I will be departing the Yellowstone area via Boise, ID. Initially looking at the charts my intentions were staging thru Cody due to it's proximity to the Absaroka Range and following Highway 14 through the Sylvan Pass (8537ft). I won't be in any hurry to get anywhere so I should be able to pick the right time and weather to get by the high areas.

I'd also like to visit Jackson Hole, certainly looks as though it has a challenging approach/departure route, for a 172 that is.

I will have one other with me but tanks won't be very full and baggage will be at a minimum, I intend to make quite a number of stops in the area and most seem to have 100LL. My altitude experience is flying a 160hp 172 with two up at/above 8,000ft so I'm quite happy about the performance I should have.

From Yellowstone I intend routing to Boise to the south of the Smoky and Pioneer Mountains and keep to about 8,000ft.

djpil
6th Oct 2007, 08:13
I lived in the Jackson Hole area for a couple of years, some time back. Had a share in an old 172 but much prefered to take a Husky. Was hard work getting the 172 to 11,000 to go anywhere. In a Husky I'd go everywhere at 12,000 with the occasional 14,000 over a ridge.

I'd get to Jackson by following the canyon from Alpine. Once in the hole its not a problem, its worth visiting too.

So, an option is to use Jackson as the base instead of Cody. Route in would be from the south. Follow the highway west over Laramie, Rawlins, Rock Springs - north from Cokeville following the road but you'll need to get to 11,000 or so to get to Afton.

Route out is easier. Follow the canyon out of Jackson to Alpine then west up the Swan Valley to Idaho Falls.

Also, I never found turbulence to be a problem in Wyoming at all. Some strong winds at times though, especially around Elk Mountain.

DA combined with wind shear from even gentle winds over the mountains can play havoc with a 172's rate of climb.

I plan to be back there next July too.