PDA

View Full Version : Russian Concordski aircraft designer dies

Dublinflyer
14th May 2001, 00:32
Alexei Tupolev, the designer of the Russian version of Concorde, has died at the age of 75 after a long illness. He was most famous for the Tu-144, a Soviet supersonic aircraft which so closely resembled Concorde it was nicknamed Concordski. It made its maiden flight on December 31 1968, days before its Western rival, but a crash at the Paris air show in 1973 effectively ended any international appeal it might have had. A modified Tu-144 briefly operated between Moscow and the Central Asian city of Almaty, but was quietly shelved after a second crash in 1977 which killed three people.

Mr Tupolev also helped to design mass-built passenger jets such as the Tupolev 134, which remains a cornerstone of the Russian air fleet, as well as the Buran space shuttle, which carried out one flight into space in 1988, but was then scrapped due to funding problems. "A glowing memory about Alexei Andreyevich Tupolev, a wonderful man and aircraft constructor, will remain forever in our hearts," said the Tupolev company in a statement.

aerire
14th May 2001, 01:50
A fine gentleman, did a lot for the development of Russian aviation. Many TU144's remain in museums as a tribute to a real aviator who worked under difficult political conditions. One Tu144 is now in a German museum for those who cannot make it to Russia to see one "in the flesh"

Captain Numpty
14th May 2001, 02:28
Forgive me Gents........but I thought the aforementioned person died many years ago, according to the "Discovery" program Koncordski. (Which is all about the Paris Air Show Crash).

I presume you are referrring to his Son?

C.N.

A7E Driver
14th May 2001, 11:34
The Koncordski indicated that he had advanced photocopying skills.

Seloco
14th May 2001, 11:49
If anyone is interested in seeing the Buran, it's now on display at Darling Harbour in Sydney.
Incidentally I'm not sure that Tupolev's photocopying skills were that great for the 144, or he would have spotted the vortex-generating leading edge on the Concorde and avoided the need for those ungainly (and heavy!) canards. However he'd obviously improved by the time he got onto the Tu120, since it is almost impossible to tell it apart from a B1B; maybe Rockwell's plans were clearer.....

moschops
14th May 2001, 13:19
Andrei Tupolev died in '72 did he not?

village flyer
14th May 2001, 13:43
Link to recent news article...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1328000/1328132.stm

VF

A7E Driver
14th May 2001, 14:08
Why is the Russian space shuttle in Sydney? Is it there permanently -- or making a tour?

Nuke the Bastards
14th May 2001, 15:41
Anyone remember the Tu 114....now that was a REAL aircraft, and not a design copy in sight.

Thanks for that Mr Tupolev.....and may you rest in peace, whichever version you are !

Hunter58
14th May 2001, 15:47
Just for the ones above not knowing the difference between Alexei and Andrei. The former is teh son (just died), the latter the father (did a couple of years ago).

ALexei Tupolev is certainly one of the greatest aircraft designers together with his father. Not only the Tu 144, but also the Tu 154 comes out of his feather. I stand in silence for a truly great man.

------------------
There's nothing like a three-holer...

Drop and Stop
14th May 2001, 15:50
A7, I think its there permanently, an Australian company apparently bought it to put on display, sign of the times I guess.

http://www.spacehardware.com/
TU-144 for sale (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=588454510)

[This message has been edited by Drop and Stop (edited 14 May 2001).]

dmaco1
17th May 2001, 13:00
Yes, Nuke, that -114 was really something.

I never got to see one fly, but with the 15,000hp t-props, swept wing, and top speed of over 440 knots it was really a performer. Nice lines, too.

I think it set a few records for the class which still stand.

CI300
17th May 2001, 15:00
Why is it always assumed that the eastern block copied the west? Facts of life are that the worlds aerodynamicist follow the current trends/ research/ developments of the time. What results from that, will naturally be similar.