PDA

View Full Version : weird question...

draccent
5th Oct 2007, 00:11
How do you guys deal with managing fatigue in the cockpit? I mean, what methods do you find useful to keep this at bay. For example, youv'e had less sleep than you were hoping for......?

Just curious

IFMU
5th Oct 2007, 00:34
If I've had less sleep than I was hoping for, then I'll probably have less flying than I was hoping for. If I'm too fatigued to be safe, I don't fly.

-- IFMU

javelin
5th Oct 2007, 02:12
Quite simple - I say to the other Gadge - I'm off for 20 mins, wake me if owt happens Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Runaway Gun
5th Oct 2007, 07:20
The defence is preparation.

A good night sleep is the best for this, before you set off.

If you are exhausted in the cockpit, then do what you would in a car, pull over and find a hotel (divert).

Maybe open a window for some cool fresh air...

BackPacker
5th Oct 2007, 08:00
Turn up the radio real loud and sing along! (Unfortunately the average air traffic controller is not really a talent in that respect - or at least doesn't show his/her talent over the radio.)

Seriously. You're in the Private Flying forum. We don't have to fly, we do it for fun. We can always stay on the ground if we don't feel fit enough for flying. The F in the I'M SAFE mnemonic is for Fatigue, you know.

http://www.experimentalaircraft.info/articles/pilot-preflight.php

IO540
5th Oct 2007, 08:07
Having some food and drink relieves the boredom of long flights.

Having somebody to talk to is also very good.

I've done up to 6.5 hours to date in one go and it was OK. Much depends on the scenery (both down below and in the other seat ;) ). Flying back home over northern France is never going to be exciting...

Oxygen helps to keep one awake in a way few of the "hairy chest" types would believe. If I am going home, and I have enough left, I turn it up and use it up. But then I never fly airways below FL100, which is a bit marginal without o2 for long legs.

effortless
5th Oct 2007, 08:20
Having some food and drink relieves the boredom of long flights.
Well that makes me even tireder. I find wx kepps me interested and focused. :}

Rod1
5th Oct 2007, 08:27
You will notice two very different approaches to flying on this thread.

“You're in the Private Flying forum. We don't have to fly, we do it for fun.”

And

“Having some food and drink relieves the boredom of long flights.”

If I was Bored flying, I would stop doing it!

Rod1

drauk
5th Oct 2007, 09:39
Earplugs. Seriously, noise is VERY fatiguing.

IO540
5th Oct 2007, 10:14
There goes Rod1 - the "never fly anywhere for a reason" evangelist :)

On any single leg flight within 800nm radius (which is most of Europe) I can beat an airline anytime, on the taxi rank to taxi rank time. And it's much more fun.

FullyFlapped
5th Oct 2007, 11:09
Yep, absolutely right ... or at the very least match the overall door-to-door time.

Best we don't mention the cost difference, natch !

FF :ok:

Hireandhire
5th Oct 2007, 11:30
I can recommend taking all the cushions out (in my case necessary to get enough headroom).
Sitting on the bare wooden "pew" produces enough derriere pain after 2 hours to guarantee alertness for the arrival stages of a leg.
It works for me in the Condor, but of course you may be used to flying something designed to be less pure in function!
regards
HnH

Rod1
5th Oct 2007, 15:12
IO540

An enthusiast is defined as;

“one who is ardently absorbed in an interest or pursuit.”

I bounce out of my pocket rocket with a grin and I fly for fun when I want to.

You fly to get to your meetings and take along food and drink to relieve the boredom.

Both of us get value from our approach, but there is very little cross over. I have to say one of the few times I have been bored flying was sat in solid cloud for 2 hours, so I do not do it any more.

Rod1

Captain Smithy
5th Oct 2007, 15:24
How to beat tiredness/fatigue? Easy. Just take plenty of that magic stuff that fuels flying clubs all over the UK... coffee. :E

Prevention being better than cure, a good night's sleep is the best... although you can't always guarantee that. If I was feeling very tired indeed I wouldn't fly at all - IMSAFE and all that (as mentioned by BackPacker).

Smithy zzzzzzzzzzzzzz:zzz: