PDA

View Full Version : Revalidation dates on FCL150s

rjakw
4th Oct 2007, 09:47
I haven't had a response from FCL on the following (I don't think they like putting things into writing in an email), so I wondered if any of you folks could give me an explanation.

Here's the background to the question:

1. I have a UK (ICAO) PPL (A). The previous certificate of revalidation was to expire on September 24th 2007.

2. I had logged well over the required 12h (all P1) to within 3 months prior to expiry date.

3. I had had an instructional flight of over 1h during the 3 months prior to expiry and my log book duly signed by the instructor. He was not an examiner and so could not sign my FCL150.

4. The club examiner was on holiday at the time of that instructional flight and so I was persuaded to leave my log book and FCL150 there waiting for his return. I did have a photocopy of the last few log book pages and the nice lady on reception assured me that they would post them back to me asap. I offered my licence and medical to the instructor for his inspection and was relieved to be told that it was not necessary to leave these too.

5. I subsequently received a telephone message telling me that the examiner needed to see my original licence and medical in order to "process" the FCL150.

6. Unwilling to risk those items in the post, I drove the 2 1/2h back to the club & showed them to the examiner in person.

7.The examiner then signed my FCL150, but I noticed later that he had dated the next expiry date as 23rd September 2009. I queried this, but he insisted he was right and said that all the other examiners who had signed it to 24th September on previous occasions were wrong.

We humble proles are not in a position to argue; ours is just to pay up and be grateful in these matters. I know it is only a day short, but I do not see the logic. I tried to find a source on the CAA website, but was defeated by its impenetrability. Can anybody point me at the words that confirm why he should not have dated the next expiry as 24th? Why should each renewal creep forward by a day?

I know the statistics say that by the time that date arrives I'll probably have given up flying anyway, but I'd still like to know the facts.

Thanks,

Ray.

IRRenewal
4th Oct 2007, 11:25
I guess what your examiner is saying is that in the past somebody should have signed you off till the 23th of September rather than the 24th, and he/she sees it as his/her job to correct that.

Seems pedantic to me, but since it is only a single day (and one you possibly shouldn't have been given in the first place) I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

ours is just to pay up and be grateful in these matters
If your examiner charges you to sign you off by experience, find yourself another examiner.