PDA

View Full Version : Possibly a daft question - N reg

FullyFlapped
3rd Oct 2007, 13:21
Apologies if this is a slightly dumb question, but ...

If I were to buy an N-reg plane in the USA and have it ferried to this country, is there anything I would have to do in order to fly it legally over here ?

Forget crew licences, ownership, trusts etc. I'm simply thinking about the aircraft. It would need to fly IFR in CAS : so presuming it was legal to do so in the US, are there any other requirements over here ?

And also, can I ask where N Reg owners insure their UK-basd aircraft ? Here or in the USA?

Thanks,
FF :ok:

EvilKitty
3rd Oct 2007, 13:25
It's only daft if you know the answer...

or possibly rhetorical :\

For the record neither of those apply to me, so not daft.

Plus I'm also curious to know the answer, so that makes it decidedly undaft in my book!:ok:

IO540
3rd Oct 2007, 13:29
FF you have a PM.

As a general answer you don't have to do anything. It's called "ICAO" :)

Obviously you need an FAA license, rating(s), medical as necessary, although you can fly an N-reg in any country if you have a license issued (note: not merely "validated") by that country (ref: FAR 61.3).

HOWEVER, anywhere in the world, you need to comply with equipment carriage requirements for the airspace in question. For the UK, the requirements are in ANO Schedule 4 (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20051970.htm#sch4)and Schedule 5 (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20051970.htm#sch5). Each European country has potentially different requirements and the equipment list for each country is in the country's AIP GEN 1.5.

Some more distant places get funny about N-reg e.g. Turkey which requires a 24hr PPR. But nobody I know about in Europe.

You insure with a UK underwriter as usual; they could not care whether it is G-reg or N-reg. With an N-reg you save the 5% IPT.

air18150
3rd Oct 2007, 16:31
So am I right in thinking a basic uk issued JAR PPL holder can fly an N reg a/c in the UK without any FAA license at all but not in continental europe?

mm_flynn
3rd Oct 2007, 17:23
The 'typical' equipment issues with an N-reg for UK IFR will be around the N having 'replaced' the ADF and DME with a GPS, the N not necessarily having a Mode S transponder (not required in the US), and potentialy not having FM immune VOR/ILS (also not required in US).

Air18150 - Yes, you are correct.

FullyFlapped
4th Oct 2007, 10:48
Thanks IO, very useful and informative as always.

I got an email announcing your PM, but strangely no PM has appeared - and my mailboxes are far from full, so methinks there is an "undocumented software feature" at work somewhere !

I'm in the market for a bit of a change, and with the current US dollar rate ... and then there's the IR, of course, if the Belgrano or EASA knock back the proposed "IR-lite". And even if they don't, presumably (a) it'll take a good while to get going and (b) I imagine that similar arrangements will be put in place as currently exist for aquiring a JAR/IR from an FAA/IR ... but hopefully, with reduced study requirement.

FF :ok:

rjakw
4th Oct 2007, 11:12
In the olden days, there used to be a "2 out of 3" rule. If you had 2 the same out of . . .

1. Airspace
2. Licence
3. Aircraft reg

. . . then you were legal.

Has the growth of the Yerpian empire put an end to that?

Ray.

mm_flynn
4th Oct 2007, 11:51
2 out of 3 - isn't true, never was true. Licence and Reg the same you are good to go. Every other combination needs a look at the law governing the aircraft.

for example

FAA pilot, G aircraft, French airspace - OK

UK Pilot, N aircraft, US airspace - Not OK (but US licence based on CAA easy to get)

IO540
5th Oct 2007, 08:15
FF - the email should have contained the contents of any PM. If not, drop me an email. I can't remember what I sent you ;)

Re the 2/3 rule, this never existed. It's mainly a creature of pilot forums, although one old chap who claimed to be a former aviation barrister told me about it. Maybe that is why he is a former barrister...

The only bit of that "rule" which works reliably is that if the aircraft reg country matches that of the pilot's license then he gets worldwide (ICAO) privileges, noncommercial. (Subject to loads of potential crap like PPR, overflight permits, etc, etc).

The other two combinations of the triangle work sometimes.

17th Oct 2007, 13:29
Obviously you need an FAA license, rating(s), medical as necessary, although you can fly an N-reg in any country if you have a license issued (note: not merely "validated") by that country (ref: FAR 61.3).

I belive if you have "validated" by FAA license you are perfectly legal to fly N-reg anywhere in the world. Not that I spoke to FSDO or something - just reading regs:
You refer to 61.3.(a).(1) (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=e9eb967c8c65d9a1c6b45d37484823d2&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2&idno=14#14:2.0.1.1.2.1.1.2)? It says "(1) Has a valid pilot certificate or special purpose pilot authorization issued under this part".
But FAA does not use word "validated" - they still "issue". See "§61.75 (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=e9eb967c8c65d9a1c6b45d37484823d2&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2&idno=14#14:2.0.1.1.2.2.1.10) Private pilot certificate issued on the basis of a foreign pilot license."