PDA

View Full Version : PA28/C172 Differences

samuelwmartin
2nd Oct 2007, 12:29
How different are the C172/PA28 a/c and how many hours would it take to convert?

How different are they both to fly?

Brooklands
2nd Oct 2007, 12:49
Samual,
see here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=288315), and also here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=286600) for recent discussion of this topic. You may also find this page (http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php) useful in future.

The short answer thought is "not a lot" (flying wise). A couple of hours should be enough.

Brooklands

bjornhall
2nd Oct 2007, 18:53
If you'll fly the PA28, buy an umbrella. Sheltering from the rain under a PA28 wing makes ya look rather silly... :}

Craggenmore
2nd Oct 2007, 19:00
One's a proper plane and one isn't.

As my FI instructor once said to me, "How many hours you got in a Cessna then".

"just 2 sir"

"That's 2 too many boy"

:}

Crashed&Burned
2nd Oct 2007, 19:06
Conversion should take little more than an hour.

The only difference is in turns where the Cessna wing tends to blank out your view of anyone in the vicinity of travel. Obviously, the view downward from a Cessna is better, but frankly both types are pussycats.

I do prefer low wing aircraft but that's just a personal view.

Enjoy.

C&B:)

foxmoth
2nd Oct 2007, 21:15
One's a proper plane and one isn't.
Many would say neither of these are proper Aeroplanes, proper ones having the third wheel at the back!:}
Personally I would say they are fairly similar, but fly something like a Robin,Pup, Bulldog, Chippie etc. and you will then find out how an aeroplane should handle.:ok:

eharding
2nd Oct 2007, 21:22
One lacks a high wing, the other lacks a low wing, and as such, both equally flawed.....something that can only be addressed by flying a type with has both....:ok:

EvilKitty
2nd Oct 2007, 21:43
You forgot the one in the middle :E

eharding
2nd Oct 2007, 21:51
You forgot the one in the middle

..only used by nasty old Fokkers.

Boooom Tisch! Athankya.

tigerbatics
2nd Oct 2007, 23:52
How boring do you want different? They differ but not a lot. There are real aeroplanes as an alternative.

davidatter708
3rd Oct 2007, 18:04
I went from c152 to pa28 at the weekend in 40 mins. Nothing really different just wing is below you and you have handbrake flaps and a new set of figure but lands the same all but a little heavy on the yoke in the flare.
Dave

BeechNut
4th Oct 2007, 14:15
Cessna: push on the yoke, the houses get bigger. Pull on the yoke, the houses get smaller, but if you pull too much, they start to get bigger again.

Piper: push on the yoke, the houses get bigger. Pull on the yoke, the houses get smaller, but if you pull too much, they start to get bigger again.

That's about the size of it. Two competent spam cans. I happen to prefer low-wing as well, but that's a matter of personal preference and aesthetics. They each have their quirks, strengths and weaknesses.

Beech

gasax
4th Oct 2007, 14:32
Which is better? An Austin Maxi or a Morris Marina?

EvilKitty
4th Oct 2007, 15:02
Is this like the PPL exams where you have to pick the answer thats almost, but not quite, exactly unlike a cup of tea? :}

the dean
4th Oct 2007, 15:39
Hi Samuel,

this has been covered before. 'search and ye shall find'

i used to fly and instruct on both in the same day...no big deal...its just as has been said before...which you like better..

as old as a bush is the...some guys like high wingers and some low.....usually it depends on what you learned on but not always...

there are differences in handling, performance, take off and landing....but see previous discussions...:ok:

the dean.

172driver
4th Oct 2007, 15:46
I am one of the allegedly rare breed who learned on one type but then switched to the other. Learned on PA28s (160 & 180), but switched to 172 (albeit the RG version) & 182 thereafter. Reason: more space, two doors. Also prefer being able to just step in rather than clambering up on a wing. Still occasionally fly PA-28s, nothing wrong with them, it's really personal preference, nothing else.

TheOddOne
5th Oct 2007, 14:49
eharding wrote...

One lacks a high wing, the other lacks a low wing, and as such, both equally flawed.....something that can only be addressed by flying a type with has both....

Oh yeah, Ed? No more YAK52, then???

TheOddOne