PDA

View Full Version : G-1000 Evolution

VORTIME
29th Sep 2007, 21:12
Hi there -

Does anyone know the changes made to the G1000 system since inception?

VT

denhamflyer
30th Sep 2007, 17:49
Not sure since inception - but there have been quite a few changes. Mainly documentented through the SB's. The key feature changes can be determined from the user guide (http://www8.garmin.com/support/userManual.jsp?market=1&subcategory=59&product=All) editions. And also the service alerts (http://www8.garmin.com/aviation/servicenotices.jsp).

However each installation has many different mods. I have a G reg C182 and have applied several SB's, some of which have been safety related and a few have been feature related. The features which are NOT ordinarily retrofittable are:-

1. WAAS (EGNOS) not needed for non-precision approaches. Have not had a satisfactory reply as to the possibility of an upgrade (it should be simple replacement of two units - but approvals seem to be the barrier.)

2. New Integrated auto-pilot - ideal for integrated VNAV but many prefer the KAP140 fitted to most installs. This would need to replace both panels and a hidden control unit with major wiring so too expensive to consider..

Other upgrades (with some cost)

1. Jeppesen MFD Flight Plates. (Currently IFR only)

2. TAWS-B for those likely to go CFIT flying. The basic terrain awareness is very useful for the average pilot (it is a license key the s/w is built in)

All the other fiddle and twiddles are in the manuals. One of the hidden twiddles was a change to the KAP140 to reduce "wander" in some installations.

Mine is having another s/w upgrade fitted as we speak which comes with yet another manual (arrived a few weeks ago). When I pick it up next week I will have a read and see what they have changed.

Was there anything specific you were after??

IO540
30th Sep 2007, 18:12
Denhamflyer, are you saying the G1000 cannot fly a standard GPS approach unless you have WAAS/EGNOS available?

denhamflyer
30th Sep 2007, 18:56
No - it says NOT needed for non-precision. i.e. a standard GPS approach here (uk) and in the USA does NOT need WAAS. but the precision approaches with simulated ILS DO require WAAS - we dont have these in the UK yet. I dream of the day when we can and dont need full ATC!. (Too many negatives sorry.. :\ )

PS. One of the other benefits of WAAS is that you are very very unlikely to get a RAIM (if ever).

IO540
1st Oct 2007, 06:51
OK, fair enough.

Europe is a long way away from GPS approaches with a glideslope.

Or, more correctly, from getting them in useful places, not just at airports with an ILS where any GPS approach is largely irrelevant.

They would use EGNOS.

denhamflyer
1st Oct 2007, 10:50
Unfortunately I have to agree. However one can hope.

In the meantime we may find that some of the newer european states may invest in GPS LPV approaches (one off cost) rather than adding expensive (to install and maintain) equipment as they start to open new airfields. I also hope that we transition to NOT requiring ADF/DME all over the place. Why o why o why did they keep the missed approach as NDB on the new UK GPS approaches!

Either way if I had two equal planes I would choose the one with WAAS/EGNOS support since this is definitely the way to go, but of no material value at the moment.

IO540
1st Oct 2007, 14:32
UK's ADF requirement for IFR in CAS is already unusual in Europe, and IMHO this will go. It's completely stupid for enroute.

You will still need an ADF to fly an NDB approach, which may be the case if going to some place with an ILS or a VOR approach and the ILS or VOR are out of service. I've seen several O/S VORs lately in the "deep south" of Europe, and even Tempelhof was down to an NDB approach last year, for quite a while.

I agree the former Eastern Europe is very pro-GA and they may well do the obvious and follow the USA - it's completely logical after all. But they will still need to provide an ILS for all the cheap airlines, so you will find an ILS at any airport that serves the holiday flights, for the foreseeable future.

I can well see places like Brac - a fantastic place to fly to; a model airport which makes most UK ones look silly - getting an LPV approach the day they can.

Looking at the worldwide 737 fleet, I don't see them installing kit for GPS LPV approaches, and getting their company procedures re-approved, when they already have an ILS. If Ryanair wants to fly to XYZ, the airport will ask whether they want the ILS gold plated ;)