PDA

View Full Version : MPA IR privileges in SEP

tmmorris
29th Sep 2007, 10:32
I have a friend (no, really) who is an airline pilot. He holds an IR which he revalidates at his type rating check annually. This is, presumably, a multipilot aeroplane IR, i.e. not valid for SPAs.

He took his initial IRT in a SPA (a Seneca, in fact) but has flown only MPAs since. He's planning to renew his SEP rating, which has lapsed, and do some private flying. I've trawled through LASORS, but I can't find the answers to the following questions...

1. Does his MPA IR confer any privileges flying a SPA SEP? I have a vague recollection that he gets IMC privileges i.e. OCAS... or can he apply for an IMC rating?

2. I assume not, but... is there a simple way he can get a SPA IR? I note in LASORS that SPA and MPA IRs must be revalidated separately, so this is probably a non-starter - he'd face renewing both every year.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Tim

Blinkz
29th Sep 2007, 10:35
The MPA as far as I know gives nothing for SEP. When I had my SPA IR issued I also had an IMC issued on the basis of it, since its easier to renew and lasts longer, and is obviously for SEP. I don't know if you can get an IMC issued on the back of a MPA IR, I doubt it. He'll probably have to have another skills test.

BEagle
29th Sep 2007, 11:07
Does your airline pilot friend have an old-style CAA ATPL, or is it a JAR-FCL PPL?

If the former, he has perpetual IMC Rating privileges.

If the latter, he will be another victim of the CAA's decision of a year or so ago. Without bothering to consult with anyone, they arbitrarily changed the rules in 2006. The rules used to be:

The holder of a JAR-FCL professional aeroplane
licence with a valid multi-pilot IR(A) is not
automatically entitled to fly using the privileges of
an IMC Rating in single-pilot aeroplanes. They will
be required to obtain a separate IMC Rating
endorsement on the basis of their most recent
multi pilot IR proficiency check or skill test. In this
case, the IMC Rating will be valid for a period of 25
months from the date of the IR(A) skill test and will
not need to be revalidated if the IR remains valid. If
the IR(A) lapses an IMC revalidation flight test is
required.

However, this was changed in 2006 and is now:

The holder of a JAR-FCL professional aeroplane
licence with a valid multi-pilot IR(A) is not automatically
entitled to fly using the privileges of an IMC Rating in
single-pilot aeroplanes. They will be required to pass a
IMC Flight Test and apply to PLD for a separate IMC
Rating endorsement.

So, thanks to the Belgrano, if your friend has a JAR-FCL ATPL(A), he will now have no IMC privileges whatsoever on single pilot aeroplanes until he passes the IMC Rating Flight Test.

tmmorris
29th Sep 2007, 11:15
Thanks, BEagle, sadly that is exactly the situation. Does that also mean that once he has the IMCR, he has to undertake the IMC renewal every 25 months like the rest of us? I assume it does.

Grrrr.

Tim

BEagle
29th Sep 2007, 11:23
Unfortunately, it does indeed.

I was furious with the CAA at the time, because they hadn't consulted with anyone in industry. Someone there tried to allege that the reason was "Because they don't do limited panel UPs on MPA IR revalidations, it isn't sufficient". When I pointed out that there was no requirement whatsoever for UK ATPL holders to do anything to maintain their perpetual IMC Rating privileges, it was clear that the Belgranist hadn't thought of that.....

I was going to take the cudgels up further, but a colleague who is a ba captain went and failed an IMC revalidation flight test - hadn't flown an NDB approach with a DI for years...... So that rather took my ammunition away.

tmmorris
29th Sep 2007, 11:55
That could be a problem for this chap, too! He is rather, err, appalled at the avionics the rest of us have to use. Still, he was well trained at the basic stage (OUAS) and has excellent handling skills, so the SEP won't be a problem.

Tim

Kit d'Rection KG
29th Sep 2007, 13:48
BEagle,

You're not saying that the chaps at the Belgrano were right, are you????

:)

BEagle
29th Sep 2007, 14:08
tmm - if he achieved a PIFG at OUAS (:yuk:), then he'll find that will stand him in good stead for the IMC Rating.

Unless he had an IMC Rating included when he did his IR on the Seneca, your friend will have to do the full IMC Rating test rather than the renewal test.