PDA

View Full Version : FAA IR & Airways

gcolyer
28th Sep 2007, 08:34
I know you cannot use your FAA IR in the UK if you are in a G reg aircraft. However if outside of the UK in G reg can you use your FAA IR and fly the airways?

IO540
28th Sep 2007, 08:51
ANO article 26 authorises a G-reg flown with an ICAO (non-JAA) IR to be flown under IFR but only outside controlled airspace.

So, you could fly such a G-reg worldwide IFR in Class F or Class G.

This is somewhat useful in the UK where there is a lot of Class G and you can fly IFR in it without ATC clearance or indeed any radio contact.

Much of France for example is Class E which is controlled airspace for IFR, so this is no good.

Some countries (don't know which; Germany?) prohibit IFR in Class G and have no Class F.

apruneuk
28th Sep 2007, 10:50
I believe that the CAA will grant you IMC privileges off the back of your FAA IR but you need to apply to them. At least you would then be able to fly IFR in CAS (except class A) in the UK; slightly higher approach minima, though.

IO540
28th Sep 2007, 11:01
If you have had an FAA IPC within the past 2 years, plus a UK/JAA PPL and medical etc, then you can apply for an IMC Rating.

The CAA disregards the FAA IR rolling currency, which is why a current IPC is required.

Then one can fly IFR in Class D also, UK airspace only.

The IMCR minima are the same as the full IR. The "higher minima" are a recommendation, not law.

gcolyer
28th Sep 2007, 11:30
IO540

Whats the application process for getting an IMC based on an FAA IR? (assuming it is a fresh new FAA IR and current IPC).

IO540
28th Sep 2007, 13:24
Never done this myself but AFAIK you just get the IMCR application form (the same form which you use to apply for the rating following a successful checkride) from the CAA, and there is a section which asks whether you are applying for the IMCR using a IR as a basis or whatever; you put Yes in there, and a cheque for £70 or so, and that's it.

As I said, you need a valid UK/JAA license and a valid UK medical.

Incidentally, the IMCR is equally valid in an N-reg; I have this in writing from both the CAA (who correctly say it's up to the FAA) and the FAA.

Shunter
28th Sep 2007, 14:32
slightly higher approach minima, though
I am informed that despite it being plaster all over textbooks as the law, it is in fact NOT the law, and purely advisory. I've met many, many instructors who swear blind that IMC pilots must have absolute minimums of 500/600 for prec/non-prec approaches, but I'm pretty sure this is, in fact, bollocks. Common sense perhaps, but bollocks all the same.

Cusco
28th Sep 2007, 14:41
Bollox it may be but I wouldn't recommend trying to put it to the test during your IMCR revalidation test (or even your IMCR initial flight test.)

Safe flying

Cusco;)