PDA

View Full Version : PPL recommendation - Inverness!

forest2807
27th Sep 2007, 08:43
As my first post on here, I just wanted to recommend the Highland Flying School at Inverness Airport for PPL training. I did my PPL in exactly a month over the summer (one of the benefits of being a teacher!), despite some 'dodgy' weather, especially returning from Wick and Kirkwall on my solo cross country! All in all, including RT tuition and additional fees (landings, etc) I reckon it cost me £5k which I think is pretty damn good. There is accomodation available nearby at very good rates if required, although I have family in the area so I got free board, which was brilliant news financially. The instructors are first rate and the place is very laid back - perfect if you have the self motivation to learn your met and aviation law when you're not actually flying! Now my sights are turned towards my night rating and IMC when finances allow. Thanks to all at the HFS and to my RT instructor who I know reads this!

ebrahime
4th Oct 2008, 19:21
The school sounds great. i am starting my training by middle october. i am very optimistic about it... will keep you updated

PS. thank you forest, you made my day ;-)

spinnaker
4th Oct 2008, 19:41
You probably flew over my place. Small world.

Glad you enjoyed it. :)

preduk
4th Oct 2008, 19:52
I'm going up there next summer I think, it sounds like a really nice place. What are the aircraft like? How often did you get to fly in good days?

DBisDogOne
5th Oct 2008, 13:09
I'd heard good things about HFS too, I'm thinking of doing my IMC with them soon (assuming I don't get made redundant in the next month or so.....) as their charges for courses and hire seem very reasonable and its worth me travelling up from the south coast to do it there (thanks to Flybe - Southampton to Inverness!!!!).

DavidHoul52
7th Oct 2008, 09:30
I did their Advanced Handling Course a couple of weeks ago. Very good deal - even if you don't get any extra rating. Nice confidence booster for a low hours PPL, though! Flying in the area is awesome. After the course I flew to Kirkwall in the Orkneys. They have 3(?) PA-38 tomahawks. Might go back for my night rating.