PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 737 or Airbus 320 family????

PAPI-74
25th Sep 2007, 13:23
This should spark off a few comments.
When I transition from TP's (glass) to Jets in 4-6 months, what is the best aircraft of the two from the pilots seat?
I know the Airbus has great diversity within the family, but what is it like to fly in challanging conditions compared to the 737. My MCC was on a 732, which I really enjoyed, but using Honeywell now, stears my to the Airbus.
The other factor is room on the flight deck / ergonomics. I like the idea of side stick giving good vis of the PFD (especially during single engine work or aileron into wind take offs/landings where the yolk blocks some of the display), but I am really used to the feel and feedback of a yolk. The overhead panel is really logical in the Airbus too. Boeing seems a bit scattered compared.
Has anyone flown both?
Like to have a sim session to see really.....

Thanks

bigilla
25th Sep 2007, 13:41
Flew both aand preferred the A320 by far, although I believe that lifestyle on the fleet should be the priority if you have a choice. Also a 320 rating is probably more useful as eventually you can easily fly 330, 340.........which helps with job prospects.

IRRenewal
25th Sep 2007, 13:46
Questions about the yolk might just leave you with egg on your face.

Don't really understand why this is posted in rumours and news.

PAPI-74
25th Sep 2007, 14:17
Thanks bigilla.

IRRenewal,
Sorry, good pun, but it was a genuine comment. It seems as though several manufacturers in both airline and biz jet (eg falcon X) worlds are using side stick. Just wanted an educated opinion from someone who had got the experiance of both, as I hear +ve comments from both sides, but none with the ability to favour one or the other honestly.
As for the post being here.....I couldn't bothered to find a better place for it really.

WaterMeths
25th Sep 2007, 17:21
I have flown both types and must say one thing I really miss from the Boeing (I flew both the -300 and -700 NG) is that the screens on the -700 were BIG compared to the 'bus. Also the FMC on the Boeing had some nice features too which I miss on the MCDU of the Airbus.

Overall though, the Airbus wins out for me, and the side stick does not take much getting used to at all.....

PAPI-74
25th Sep 2007, 22:21
Two for the Bus then.
Did a Charter to Chalons-Vatrey last week and saw the 380 doing training with a Singapore Airlines crew.
Massive!!!!

TopBunk
26th Sep 2007, 03:58
From my perspective of having about 4,000 hrs on 732/733/734 and 3,000 hrs on 319/320/321 I would say:

The 737 is a better 'pilots' aircraft - harder but more rewarding to fly, more direct feedback to the pilot.

The 320 family is a nicer aircraft to 'operate' - better ergonomics, easier to fly but with less direct feedback due to Flight Control Laws, etc. It also requires greater discipline when handling ECAM.

Which would I choose again? Either, but with lots of experience probably the A320 for the easy life. If you haven't much jet time, I think the 737 will give you more useful experience in handling jets.

Just my opinion .....

PAPI-74
26th Sep 2007, 10:22
Thanks TopBunk,

I always used to prefer the 737 due to its build quality and reliable history. It just feels like a workhorse when you sit in it.
Having no Airbus experience and its tidy appearance just put me off a bit. Flying a TP with Honeywell is a great experience, I just want to get the next move right.....I am not paying for it, that's for sure......
I appreciate your comments.

TopBunk
26th Sep 2007, 11:35
PAPI

I would not say that the Airbus is of poorer build quality or has a less reliable history.

Indeed, it could easily be argued that the Airbus build quality is better than the piece rate construction techniques employed by Boeing. Speak to an LAE for further imformation from their perspective.

As to reliability, then I suffered no signifcant problems on either. The 732's were getting on a bit, as were the A320-100's (1988/9 build without wingtips) and both types do not appreciate early morning cold start ups. The 734's had many early VSCF serious generator issues, as examples. Airbus FBW vs Boeing rudder issues?

The technical issues are different in some respects on both makes, but not such that I'd give it as a reason for choosing one type over the other.