PDA

View Full Version : Anyone flown an Alarus?

gfunc
25th Sep 2007, 13:00
Hello Girls and Boys,

I'm currently choosing between a couple of rental places at my local field and I notice that one of them rents out, amongst your typical PA-28s, an Alarus (the FAA certified one: http://www.newplane.com/amd/amd/products/ch2000.html).

Its significantly cheaper than what I'm used to ($88 rather than $120 for the C172) and if I give it a go it it'll be the first aircraft I've flown that was built in my lifetime (and I ain't young either!). It looks a bit weird, sort of like the bastard offspring of a PA28 and a Robin, the cockpit has those silly cessna style plunger type throttle and yokes that look like they're stolen from an excercise bike, but I can live with that.

Obviously it is a two-seater, rather than a psuedo 4-seater like the PA28/C172, but I wondering if anyone has any experience of the Alarus and would think it worth my while having a check out on it? How does it handle compared to a C172/PA28? I'm trying to get my mates to come flying with me - hows the cabin comfort etc?

Any opinions welcome!

Cheers,

Gareth.

B2N2
25th Sep 2007, 18:59
From the website:
PERFORMANCE:
Cruise @ 75% Power: 99 KIAS
Never Exceed Speed (Vne): 143 KIAS
Stall Speed: 48 KIAS
Maneuvering Speed: 108 KIAS
Take-Off Distance (Over 50’): 1,640 feet
Rate of Climb: 750 fpm
Landing Distance (Over 50’): 1,820 feet
Range @ 75% Power (No Reserve): 486 nm

I've never flown one, never had the inclination to.
To me it's a low wing version of the 152( loads of time in one of those thank you :ooh:), same engine, performance to match.
Certainly not stellar on a hot day.
There were some bad rumours about slipping this aircraft, don't know if it's true.