PDA

View Full Version : Aer Lingus Recruitment

imperatus
24th Sep 2007, 13:14
Been called for interview this week,for belfast base.Anyone know what is involved in the interview.Yes,lets hear the criticisms also.

Visual Calls
24th Sep 2007, 14:53
Yes,lets hear the criticisms also.

Ok. There's an IFALPA recruitment ban in place.
http://www.ifalpa.org/jobs/recruitmentban/08IND017%20Request%20for%20Mutual%20Assistance%20Request%20I ALPA%20(Ireland).pdf
Essentially, pilots are asked not to help the company breach the T&C's of the existing pilots.
Aviation is a small community, and Aer Lingus smaller still, think very carefully before breaching a recruitment ban.

Founder
25th Sep 2007, 17:55
I've applied to Aer Lingus but only heard that they are going to get in contact with me soon...

dartagnan
27th Sep 2007, 11:01
pilots are asked not to help the company breach the T&C's of the existing pilotsthe truth is that most pilots I know are ready to be paid peanuts or even pay to work .I received an offer from ATlas jet asking me 35'000$ to fly 500h.
just as an example to show you how deep the black rabit's hole goes.

Do you really think that unemployed pilots really care of T&C of existing pilots when an airline call us and ask us to fly for them , and even be paid!!???Do you think an unemployed pilot will refuse a job offer because he eared there is somewhere on the net a "kind of ban"?

If they offer me a job at Airlingus, I'll take it! and I don't care of what other pilots say.
sorry guys, if you want I stay at home, pay me by paypal !

iae2500
27th Sep 2007, 23:41
Well Dartagan you should care, As you may get your foot in the door but you have a lifetime left in the career to reap what has been sow or is been sow.The simple reason you wont have to pay out for even a type rating with lingus is due in course to the union, the reason the pension is so good is due the union...........I could go on but you obviously know better. Its not a kinda ban neither.ITS a BAN period.
Go for the job, defy the ban and get your name blacklisted all over Europe, Do you think working pilots really give a sh1t who's defys the ban only that their not in their airline cos they aint welcome......

Grow up and change your tune or your gonna find it a lonely industry.

Visual Calls
28th Sep 2007, 11:55
Oh dear, if this guy is a newbie personified, no wonder the industry is screwed.
Dartagnan, look at the big picture. The aeroplanes are going to fly anyway. The issue is whether they fly with guys on the current T&C's or on reduced T&C's. If flouting the ban doesn't undermine the union, they will fly on the current T&C's. At that point you can apply to EI and join on your merits. if you don't make the grade, tough, someone is better than you are.

Blinkz
28th Sep 2007, 12:04
I still can't honestly understand why Lingus are bothering to hire again, I mean they already have 20 people in the hold pool, why spend more money on ANOTHER selection process when they have people waiting :confused:

Callsign Kilo
28th Sep 2007, 15:54
blinkz, have you voiced your opinion with EI? As I recall you are in that pool, no? Would be interested to hear their answer

Blinkz
28th Sep 2007, 18:19
well I have a friend who is in the pool and asked them about it. There answer was that we were recruited for Dublin......

not much of an answer I know but there you go. I don't see whats stopping them asking us if we want to goto Belfast....

My friend also asked if we could apply for Belfast, and we could, however they didn't know whether that would affect our position in the hold pool.....

CaptainJim
1st Oct 2007, 11:51
whats sort of hours have you got. I'm still waiting for an interview.

thanks

PaddyPaddy
2nd Oct 2007, 01:17
Where does one send a CV for Aer Lingus? Can't find much help in this regard. Any contact information would be great.

willby
2nd Oct 2007, 17:11
Hi Paddy Paddy/ Capt. Jim
If you go to www.aerlingus.com & then select "About us " from the banner across the top, you will see a link to "careers and vacancies" at the side.
All the info you require is available here.
You will also see the address to email your cv: [email protected]
Capt. Jim you will also see here possible answers as to why you haven't heard anything yet.
Good luck.
Willby

FO JimmieJames
3rd Oct 2007, 10:54
If any of you get called for an interview, please could you remind the lovely people at Aer Lingus that there are 20 of us waiting in the hold pool, who have been through all the interviews and we are . . . waiting . . . waiting . . .waiting . . . waiting. . . waiting . . . etc,etc.
Hey actually, if you get called for an interview with Aer Lingus and you pass everything like us hold poolers, maybe you too will have to wait . . . and wait . . . and wait . . and wait . . and wait . . etc,etc.

GOOD LUCK :}

Callsign Kilo
3rd Oct 2007, 11:30
God, it must be awful being in the hold pool for an airline such as EI. Imagine having to wait for that! A career for life, great salary, fantastic route structure, modern fleet of aircraft....the list continues. As frustrating as it may seem to you, especially with the uncertainty surrounding BFS recruitment, think yourself lucky mate. A lot of people on here would bite your arm off to be in the situation that you find yourself.

PaulW
3rd Oct 2007, 15:27
Hate to say it... Its the fault of union members who do not have the forsight to see that blaming the unrepresented who have no voice, i.e. the unemployed for years of apathy of its members falls on deaf ears. I suggest those who are employed and earning a wage at all for flying, take stock of how lucky they are to be employed and defend the rights of new starters and not just their own TandCs. I suggest if you ever get made redundant tell your families, that you will not apply for another job out of principle for those existing employees of the company in question and see what response you get. BA is a fine example new starters on different TandCs both in the cabin and in the flight deck and union members wonder why solidarity isnt as it used to be.

Visual Calls
3rd Oct 2007, 15:43
PaulW
Newbies are a different kettle of fish to those made redundant. Those made redundant did not do so out of choice Newbies made the conscious decision to saddle themselves with huge debt. Why not save up first?
You can blame the current pilots all you like, but to say that you are forced to accept a $hit job is nonsense.
Let me refresh your memories. About a year ago, Aer Lingus tried to bring in self-funded TR's for those recruited to DUB last year. IALPA said NO.
AL also tried to bring in new contracts for newbies. IALPA said NO.
Many low timed newbies are now benefiting from this.
In return, wannabes like you now seek to denigrate the existing AL pilots and shaft us by ignoring the recruitment ban - which is designed to help newbies let me remind you.
I suggest you do some research before shooting your mouth off. That's advice that will also stand to you in a cockpit.

PaulW
3rd Oct 2007, 16:09
I am not a wannabe, have been a union member in the airline industry for 11 years and have seen conditions erode. The unemployed and those that aspire will always erode the industry but that is not their fault they merely aspire and companies take advantage of this. Wannabees have no power they will take any opportunity given to them. Those with the voice and the power to slow if not stop tandc deterioration are the members of the union and working body of the company.
It is not a question of paying for ratings or not it is merely a question of the absurdity of the employed asking the unemployed to refuse opportunities they have work so hard for, irrelevent of the monetary costs all tho they are significant. If you feel so strongly about it what are you personally doing about it are you on company council, offering to write a business plan to successfully reverse the trend and introduce a cadet scheme...maybe but I doubt it.
This thread has drifted from subject, yes their is a recruitment ban but you cant blaim the unemployed for applying. Instead of taking it up with the desperate maybe you should vent your opinions with your company representatives as to why they are recruiting during a ban, and do something about it internally, industrial action does not mean strike and work to rule does not mean industrial action.
Oh and I have respected the recruitment ban and not applied.

Visual Calls
3rd Oct 2007, 16:33
If you feel so strongly about it what are you personally doing about it are you on company council, offering to write a business plan to successfully reverse the trend and introduce a cadet scheme...maybe but I doubt it.

Read my post again, IALPA successfully defended against self-funded TR's and eroded T&C's for new hires in DUB. They are doing their damndest to do same for BFS.
The problem lies equally with newbies and existing pilots. In EI, they existing pilots are playing their part. It's a pity the apathetic majority in Ryanair, the worst offended by far, are unable to get it together. Other airlines and unions also need to play their part too.
The beef here is that IALPA are about the only union actually trying to stop the screwing of newbies so a little support from said newbies would be good. After it is them that will ultimately benefit.

Callsign Kilo
3rd Oct 2007, 17:00
Land No Blues

Can't help but think that you have taken what I said to FO JimmyJames out of context.

I was highlighting the frustration that he finds himself in while he waits in a hold pool of 20 or so pilots for the DUBLIN BASE. I believe these people were recruited BEFORE EI's decision to start up at Belfast had long been announced. I would therefore think that these people were offered the existing T&Cs which existing EI pilots rightly fight for.

Now if JimmyJames et al wants to jump in to the Belfast pot with it's eroded T&Cs, then that's up to him and his counterparts.

What I was getting at was that in general people of our disposition (low houred CPL/IRs) would remove a limb in order to receive half a chance of the position that he finds himself in. That would be the hold pool for DUB with the T&Cs which did not come under debate. I never refered to BFS recruitment and the unfortunate debacle it has caused.

FO JimmieJames
3rd Oct 2007, 22:13
Callsign Kilo,

You are absolutely right! I am really looking forward to working for AL and yes my counterparts and I in the pool are very lucky to have at least this hope in a tough industry. I do not want to get into the ins and outs of Belfast, I just want thoughs applying for Belfast to understand the frustration felt by us in the pool. To me AL is AL wether it be in Dublin or Timbucktoo. A bit if a kick in the teath for AL not to even consider us for Belfast. Beter T's and C's or not the princilpal is we should at least be considered.
I am all for better T's and C's for pilots, but I really want to get my career started too . . . It's a bit of a tough one.

The Otter's Pocket
3rd Oct 2007, 22:33
Visual Calls

Did I really read that you suggested people doing their training should not get into debt, that they should save up first!

Nice idea. Barman - I will have the same as this chap. oh while your at it could you get one of those rich capt to sponsor me instead of the airline.

Lets face it if a man is starving, he doesn't care if he is eating venison or dog, he just wants to survive another day. So do the trainees.
Ts & Cs are one of the last thing on his mind.

FO JimmieJames
11th Oct 2007, 10:32
Aer Lingus to suspend more pilots as dispute escalates

More Aer Lingus pilots are expected to be suspended by the airline today in a move which could escalate the dispute over its plans to establish a new base in Belfast, writes Martin Wall , Industry Correspondent.
The company also said last night that it would not enter into talks with pilots' representatives unless a ban on co-operation with the establishment of its new Belfast set-up was lifted.
Four pilots have already been removed from the payroll. One was suspended without pay at lunchtime yesterday while the company last night sent letters of suspension to three others.
However, the Irish Airline Pilots' Association, which is a branch of the trade union Impact, said last night that industrial action was not on the cards.
Ialpa president Evan Cullen said: "We are going to sit on our hands and wait for management to shut down the operation and then see how they explain it to the shareholders."
Mr Cullen said that the suspension of pilots would inevitably lead to a reduction in flight services as other aircraft captains and first officers reached their legal flying limits.
The Labour Relations Commission was reported last night to be planning to intervene. The airline said, however, it had not been contacted by the LRC.
It is understood that the suspended pilots had refused, in line with advice from Ialpa and Impact, to participate in the airline's recruitment process for new staff for the Belfast base.
The company wants some of its 30 pilots who have training and instruction responsibilities to begin assessing applications for the positions of aircraft captain and first officer in Belfast. About 400 applications have been recieved.
These pilots would also be required later to serve on interview panels and provide training for successful candidates.
Management has maintained that such work is an integral part of the duties of pilots with training responsibilities, for which they receive additional pay.
Ialpa has advised members not to co-operate with the establishment of the Belfast base.
The union has been in disagreement with management for some time over the proposed terms and conditions of pilots at the Belfast operation.
Further conflict could arise today after the airline management rejected moves by about 30 pilots to resign their training and instruction responsibilities.
Management saw the resignation plan as an attempt by pilots to neutralise the threat of suspension while continuing to refuse to co-operate with the recruitment programme.
"These pilots have been appointed as instructors and are paid as instructors. This is a paper exercise to evade their responsibilities.
"We will not accept partial resignations of responsibilities," Aer Lingus said in a statement.
However, Mr Cullen said that pilots' contracts allowed them to resign as instructors and revert to flying duties only. He said that the four suspended pilots had all first resigned their training roles.
An Aer Lingus spokesman said that the suspensions would not affect flights in the short term.
The attempt by pilots to resign their training functions represented the first response of Impact and Ialpa to the threat of suspension for those who did not co-operate with the recruitment programme.
Impact said that it remained available for talks either directly with the company or through the State's industrial relations machinery.
The union said management's actions "inevitably risked" the disruption of services because suspended pilots could not fly planes. It described the suspension of pilots as "a self-defeating action" which would make it harder to achieve a resolution.
Bertie Ahern urged management and unions at Aer Lingus to work together to resolve the dispute. "Trying to call victory for one side or the other or force victory for one side is never a good idea and my advice to them for what it is worth, is to try and confront those problems and resolve them together", the Taoiseach said.

To thoughs who have applied for the Belfast base . . . Good Luck!!!
Viva better conditions for pilots:), Viva Aer Lingus:E, Viva the susspended pilots - true courage. :D
Hope for a resolution soon, because all this fighting is not helping anyone! :confused:

willby
11th Oct 2007, 18:33
Hi,
Interesting to read in today's Irish Times that Ryanair and Aer Lingus have diametrically opposite views on aspects of European Labour laws.
FR are appealing a decision of the French courts which rules that local French labour laws should apply to flight crews based at FR's Marseilles base. FR contends that since the planes are registered in Ireland then Irish labour laws should apply.
Aer lingus contend that local conditions etc should apply at any base outside Ireland. I guess the European Court of Justice will have to decide the issue.
Willby

flying paddy
11th Oct 2007, 21:49
Hi

For goodness sake all those who even think about joining the BFS base, think about what respect you will earn from the other pilots. You will have to sit there and always been known as the SCAB that closed the picket line.

DONT DO IT.

Lord Lardy
15th Oct 2007, 07:56
Looks like it all systems go again folks for recruitment in Aer Lingus after agreement seems to be reached between management and unions for the recruitment of future bases.

Bad Robot
15th Oct 2007, 18:03
Any details of the Agreement?

BR.

eagle21
16th Oct 2007, 16:30
Any information about what is happening at Aer Lingus would be appreciated.
Have they finished recruiting for Belfast?

willby
16th Oct 2007, 18:50
As a result of settlement with Ialpa seniority will apply to the hiring of captains for Belfast i.e. Dublin based captains wishing to move to Belfast will be given priority on a seniority basis. If their requirement is not met then they will recruit on the open market. FO's will be recuited on the open market but Dublin based FO's can transfer under local t/c's. However, those transferring from Dublin will retain their defined benefit pension scheme while new recruits will have a defined contribution scheme.
Ialpa will have negotiating rights for belfast pilots but will not negotiate the original contract, only subsequent ones.
The above info from the Irish Times which is usually reliable.
Willby

eagle21
16th Oct 2007, 19:52
Thanks willby, is such a breath of fresh air to read an informative and well manered post for a change!

eagle21
17th Oct 2007, 12:50
If there is anyone still waiting to hear back from their interview results please PM me.

Thank you

eolas
17th Oct 2007, 19:37
Just for the record Aer Lingus HR do not get back if you are unsuccessful also there is no feed back.

Have done interview and Sim check last spring and I have heard nothing yet.

If you pass interview and sim check you are called quickly for aptitude.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news ! but best of luck hope that you get a positive call.

Eolas

eagle21
18th Oct 2007, 03:15
That is quite bad if it's true. I mean is not like they see 80 people a day just a standard email would do.

Eolas did you ever contact them?

Thanks for the repplies

willby
18th Oct 2007, 18:43
Hi Eolas,
Quote: If you pass interview and sim check you are called quickly for aptitude.
Surely the sim check is left to last! Why go to the considerable expense of putting some one through the sim only to have them maybe fail the aptitude later on?

Looks:
There is already a priority pool for Dublin '08 which will be used to fill vacancies when new aircraft arrive early '08. I presume they will also use it to fill vacancies arising from any transfers to Belfast.
There is good information about the pool and further recruitment requirements for '08 and beyond on the Aer Lingus website.
Willby

eagle21
19th Oct 2007, 10:29
Thanks LOOK , as I understand it they will be contacting all candidates, source: Ar Lingus recruitment

King Da5id
19th Oct 2007, 16:15
Just got a phone call today from a very pleasant lady at aer lingus calling me for interview and psychometric testing for their bfs base. So it looks like they are moving again. Psychometric testing will take about 3 hours followed by an hour of interview. Interview will be duties of an f/o, questions on the company and then tech q's. Has anyone done this before? Any help would be appreciated as always. Esp. on the tech interview side of things.

eagle21
23rd Oct 2007, 18:55
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has got any up to date information about what the situation in Aer Lingus recruitment is regarding the new Belfast base.

Are they still interviewing?

Have they offered any jobs to FO?

Thank for your responses.

Founder
23rd Oct 2007, 19:22
King Da5id

What kind of experience do you have?

FO JimmieJames
25th Oct 2007, 09:24
You are all in for a very long wait! There are 20 of us in the hold pool! Don't worry . . . Patience is a virtue.

GOOD LUCK!!!

:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:cool: . . . The hold pool for Aer Lingus . . . I'm the really cool one at the end wearing sunglasses . . . Naturally!

King Da5id
25th Oct 2007, 18:28
founder,

I have 1900 hours mostly turbo prop and recently just moved onto the jet. about 100hrs total jet time.

Bad Robot
30th Oct 2007, 15:37
Have any of you guys who have been interviewed recently been called for Psycho testing or Sim ride yet?

BR.

eagle21
1st Nov 2007, 12:16
Could anyone update us on what's going on at Aer Lingus? Are they inviting people back for Sim assesments? I would be great if you could post the date of your interview.

Thanks everyone

Bad Robot
3rd Nov 2007, 15:23
Anyone had a PFO letter then?

BR.

Bad Robot
16th Nov 2007, 10:39
Latest info is that they are still interviewing until next week, then they will sort out who goes through to the next stage.:ok:

BR.