PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Certification requirements for EASA

Blue Albatross
22nd Sep 2007, 15:33
Hi All,

I have found a builder in Ukraine who can build me a Jabiru from scratch and install Dynan EFIS into it. But when it's built it'll initially go on the Ukrainian civil register.

My question is, how difficult would it be to get that plane then certified and onto the civil register of any JAA member state (I hold a JAA licence) and do you think it's worthwhile doing?

I've looked at the costs involved for building, and I'd be saving about €30k in build costs alone, hence why I've considered getting it built in Ukraine.

Ahas anyone done anything similar and are there pitfall's I should be aware of or things to consider before going ahead?

Thanks
Blue Albatross

IO540
23rd Sep 2007, 09:43
You need to get hold of an engineer who puts these planes onto the UK register for a living.

The PFA? I haven't got a clue.

Mark 1
23rd Sep 2007, 11:25
In the UK at least, amateur built aircraft must be genuinely amateur built to qualify for a permit to fly under the PFA scheme.
I would have thought it would be a much cheaper proposition to buy a good, low hour example locally and do the upgrade. A Dynon EFIS can be installed in a day or two.
Probably best to consult with your national organisations for the legalities.

Editted to add. JAR certification is a non-starter for a non-factory built example of a non-type certificated aircraft.

An EASA issued permit to fly would allow free movement in Europe, but I don't know if it would be possible to obtain one.