PDA

View Full Version : JAR FI(H)- single engine only?

Vertolot
22nd Sep 2007, 08:26
Hi,

Is the JAR FI(H) unrestricted instructor rating only restricted to single engine helicopters (according to JAR-FCL 2)? Is it possible to do the checkride for an FI(H) renewal on a multi-engine helicopter if you are rated on it?

Cheers

vimiko
22nd Sep 2007, 18:04
Of course, why do you ask?

Camp Freddie
22nd Sep 2007, 19:51
you will find in your licence that the FI(H) is restricted to Single pilot single engine types you are rated and current on.

if you want to instruct on a twin you need to do a TRI(H) course to become a Type Rating Instructor (Helicopters).

JAR FCL 2.305 makes mention of the categories of instructor

regards

CF

Aesir
22nd Sep 2007, 21:08
In my opinion a TRI is a lesser rating than FI, a TRI can only do type ratings on relevant type. The FI can do much more incl. multi engine type ratings provided certain experience requirements are meet.

See:

"JAR–FCL 2.320C FI(H) – Privileges &
Requirements.

The privileges of the holder of FI(H) rating (for
restrictions see JAR-FCL 2.320B) are to conduct
flight instruction for the issue, revalidation or
renewal of:
(f) A single-pilot multi-engine type rating,
provided that the FI(H) meets the TRI
requirements of JAR-FCL 2.330B(b) & (d), and
JAR-FCL 2.330E(b);"

Both an FI & TRI need to have at least 500TT and 100hrs on multi engine helicopters to instruct in them as well as demonstratehis ability to instruct on the ME type to the authority.

Helinut
22nd Sep 2007, 21:23
I believe that Aesir is right.

It is possible, according to JAR, for an FI(H) to instruct on single pilot multi-engine helicopters, so long as he/she complies with all the bits in JAR-FCL 2.330 (f). In the same way, it is possible for a FI(H) to do the work of an IRI to do instrument rating training too, so long as he complies with the relevant requirements in 2.330.

FredFri
23rd Sep 2007, 14:06
+1 with Aesir.

Main difference between FI and TRI is :
- Only FI can instruct for basic training (PPL or CPL ab initio for instance)
- Only TRI can instruct multi-pilot helicopters.

And as said Helinut, if you are a FI with IR instruction privileges you do the same job an IRI does.

Camp Freddie
24th Sep 2007, 09:54
according to JAR-FC 2 amendment 3 as per CAA website

A FI(H) may conduct flight instruction on:

2.330 (f) a single-pilot multi-engine type rating, provided that the [FI(H)] meets the requirements of JAR–FCL 2.365 (a), (b), (d) and (f)

AND

2.365 (a) successfully completed an approved TRI course at an approved FTO or TRTO (see Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 2.365 and AMC FCL 2.365);

AND

appendix 1 to 2.365, Pilots holding or having held one of the following ratings are credited for the TRI(H) Teaching and Learning part of the TRI(H) course:FI(H)

NOTE
(no mention is made of exemptions the technical trainining and flight training parts of the course)

In summary my understanding is that if you are not an FI(H) you need to do an TRI(H) course and if you are an FI(H) you still need to do an TRI(H) course, but not the teaching and learning part, for both there are other requirements regarding validity of ratings and experience etc.

so at this stage I stand by my original post, I never said you had to be an FI(H) before you could be a TRI(H), they are different classes of instructor, but if you are it can give you some credit in the course.

regards

CF

FredFri
24th Sep 2007, 18:57
I guess that you will find some differences between the countries, depending on the FCL2 amendment implemented.
The CAA website displays the 3rd while JAA are at the 6th (wich by the way is less complicated when it comes to FI privileges:)).

I hold a current FI(H) rating with privileges of instruction on multi-engine helicopters (TwinSquirrel and Puma) although I never attended a TRI course, but that may be because I already was an instructor before the FCL2 got implemented in my country (some kind of "grand-father rights").

Camp Freddie, your last post is right.
It's the first one that triggered some answers (when you said <<...the FI(H) is restricted to Single pilot single engine types...>>).

Vertolot,
I think your question was more like (to take some examples) :
<<I have R22 and AS355 ratings.
I have a FI rating with R22 privileges only.
Can you do my FI renewal/revalidation checkride on a AS355 ?>>
I would answer no.

Camp Freddie
24th Sep 2007, 20:11
FredFri

although I never attended a TRI course, but that may be because I already was an instructor before the FCL2 got implemented in my country (some kind of "grand-father rights").

I think you are right, it is only since JAR all this TRI course busines !

Camp Freddie, your last post is right.
It's the first one that triggered some answers (when you said <<...the FI(H) is restricted to Single pilot single engine types...>>).

my bad english, I meant when you do the instructor course initially, it comes with a condition of single pilot single engine types, unless you then extend the privileges by for example doing a TRI course

Can you do my FI renewal/revalidation checkride on a AS355 ?>>
I would answer no

I concur

regards

CF

Vertolot
25th Sep 2007, 05:21
Thank you all for the answears! The case is that I´m only current at the moment on a twin and just wanted to do a check ride to renew my FI(H)...

Vertolot