PDA

View Full Version : Dick Stratton

Genghis the Engineer
21st Sep 2007, 11:37
I'm sorry to hear this morning that Dick Stratton, passed away quietly on Thursday 20th September at 3 pm.

Dick was a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society, a Royal Aero Club Silver medallist, formerly Chief Technical Officer at the British Gliding Association, and before that head of helicopter development at Saunders Roe. Formerly he'd run the flight test programmes on the Saunders Roe Princess, the SR53 rocket plane and had started his working life as an RAF flight engineer on Sunderlands.

To the end he was loud, reactionary, often awkward - and rarely wrong. His encyclopedic knowledge of aviation, his generous help to many many people across light aviation (although especially in gliding in later years) was inspirational.

I shall miss the occasional conversations and arguments with Dick, he was an astounding source of aeronautical wisdom, and we are all poorer for his passing.

On the other hand, he was a very ripe age, he was active to the end of his life, and I doubt that he died with any significant regrets about his life. He was very much one of the good 'uns, that light aviation has been so privileged to have amongst out number.

G

UAV689
21st Sep 2007, 11:55
I second that. I was only lucky enough to meet him once this Easter, during a permit renewal for my aircraft, but truely one of the most knowledgable people I have met in the aviation world.

I was very much hoping to meet him again and llistem to some of his stories and unfortunately this will not now be possible.

A british aviation legend.

UAV

Rocket2
21st Sep 2007, 11:56
For what it's worth I reckon Dick was one of the last great aviation engineers & I agree with everything Ghengis has said (Dick was also the Flight Test Engineer on the Princess flying boat). It was my great privelidge to know him & be entertained on many occasions in various resteraunts around Bicester with the snippets of information that he told to friends. God Bless you Sir we will all miss you - especially those at Windrushers GC. I hope we can give him a good send off.
R2

Knight Paladin
21st Sep 2007, 12:02
A true legend, I feel privileged to have met and spoken to him at some length about various things aviation, including his involvment with the Saunders-Roe rocket fighters. RIP.

KP

Mike Echo
21st Sep 2007, 13:46
I was really sorry to hear about Dick Stratton whom I had the priviledge of meeting many times at the GAMTA engineering committee meetings in Brill. His knowledge about aviation was phenomenal and I regret never hearing one of his talks. Truly one of the last great aviation Engineers.

JW411
21st Sep 2007, 16:47
I knew Dick pretty well starting at Bicester over 40 years ago. He was a very clever guy and also very practical.

I remember taking a Kestrel 19 over to Bicester to have a mod done on the actuating mechanism at the base of the rudder. The engineer started talking drilling holes in bolts and inserting split pins.

"B*llocks" said Dick "use stiff nuts". "Not happy" says engineer. "Dear boy" says Dick "entire American aircraft are held together with stiff nuts. Why in God's name do you want to start a rabbit warren"!

So stiff nuts it was.

Windrusher
21st Sep 2007, 16:51
Dick had an incredibly rich career, pioneering on so many occasions; aviation really did seem to be his life. Twenty-odd years ago he was one of my gliding instructors, and - like Rocket2 - I've enjoyed Dick's stories, humour and forthright wisdom in the years since. Dick's memory and wit remained sharp to the end, even as his driving skills deteriorated, and he continued to entertain with his reminiscences, talks and informed views on aviation history as well as recent topics. As Gengis writes, Dick was often blunt, and only rarely wrong; but he was also quietly thoughtful and, behind the gruff facade, a kind and gentle soul.

Windrushers have promised to post details of Dick's funeral on the website www.windrushers.org.uk/news.htm (http://www.windrushers.org.uk/news.htm).

Happy soaring, Dick.

Windrusher

HAL-26
22nd Sep 2007, 12:22
A wonderful character, a brilliant engineer and an aeroplane enthusiast to the very end.

For the past three years I've been flying from Bicester, I doubt there was a single day when I pitched up at the airfield and not found Dick there.

He'll be sadly missed by a lot of people. There's no-one for whom "Blue Skies" is a more appropriate farewell.

Krystal n chips
22nd Sep 2007, 17:56
Met Dick several times over the years....including doing a couple of air tests in a Chippy with him..."interesting ride" :ok:.....last met about a year ago over dinner in a Bicester pub....conversation ranged from his opinions of MTBF...he worked on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it " principle and a detailed explanation of the primitive "Q" feel sytems he worked on. The meal was quite good as well ;)

Watched his delight once when he found a bogus part..Chipmunk rudder trim cable...and off he went with a huge grin on his face.

A very practical engineer whose contribution to UK aviation will be sorely missed.

Arclite01
23rd Sep 2007, 23:19
I met him a few times when he was CTO of the BGA and he did my verbal test and interview to become an inspector.

'Well you appear to know a bit about what you are doing so I'll let you through - but never be afraid to ask for advice - that's my advice.........'

What a great guy - an absolutely unique individual.

I think he was responsible for the first RAFGSA Supermunk conversion too as I recall................

Arc

Dan Winterland
24th Sep 2007, 02:37
His work on using MOGAS in aircraft has saved many a pilot more than a pound or two. A sad loss.

kit344
28th Sep 2007, 13:49
Any news on the funeral date please ?

KT

Rocket2
28th Sep 2007, 15:19
The only news so far is where it will be held, not when. Hope to hear next week.

Lomcovaks
28th Sep 2007, 20:44
Just logged on and heard the sad news. Sincere condolences to Dick's family.

As others have said, a very practical man and a true judge of pilot and aircraft as a 'combination'.

He used to sign off my Cub. One year he came up after I'd called, kicked the tyres, had a good look at the control stick casting and signed me off.

A real friend of light avaition.

Lom

captain coldfront
29th Sep 2007, 13:56
Dick did more than anyone within the BGA to make winch-launching safer by encouraging all the clubs he visited (and he visted them all I think), to invest in good equipment and good cable.
I wonder how many lives he saved by his relentless and devoted solo crusade.
A great man and sad loss.

Rocket2
1st Oct 2007, 13:21
Just heard that the funeral is at Banbury Crematorium 13:00 Fri 12th Oct with a get together at Windrusher GC (Bicester Airfield) afterwards. More details will surely follow.

Sleeve Wing
1st Oct 2007, 21:06
Just heard. Very sad news.
Knew Dick for a few years in the early seventies when he was Chief Engineer at CSE, Oxford.
I was instructing at OATS and he always had the time to help if I had a tech.query I couldn't fathom.

I was fortunate enough to bump into him once more when I flew into Bicester last year. His memory was still as sharp as a needle. A sad loss of a fine man.

> "Oh, I have slipped the surly bounds of earth- " <

Papa Whisky Alpha
1st Oct 2007, 21:51
I remember Dick from my "Moonraker" days back in 1960. I remember him asserting that he held theworld record for the greatest number of in flight engine failures at one time, I think it was six, from his days on the Princess.

He was a gentleman

renegadespirit
13th Oct 2007, 07:56
Yesterday 12th October 2007 at 13:00hrs Banbury Crematorium we all celebrated the life of a true aviation legend. The turn out was amazing and a large number of us had to stand outside. We would have stood there in a storm had there been one.

The ceremony included a reading of High Flight, the RAF Hymn and an Address by Air Vice Marshal John Brownlow which raised many a smile.

Finally just as the curtains closed, with RAF timing and precision, a lone jet arrived overhead in the clouds, turned hard, opened the throttle and departed. (Odd thing is, no one seems to know who organised a fly past).

The wake at RAF Bicester (Windrushers) was in true Dick Stratton fashion and humour, someone asked who the CAA man was, as it was rumoured they had sent someone along just to make shure it was not one of Dicks tricks to catch them out.

Dick - We thank you with all our hearts, you will not be forgotten.

1.3VStall
13th Oct 2007, 15:55
I was there yesterday as well. It was a fitting send off for an absolute legend and a true gentleman. Bicester airfield will never be quite the same again without Dick's presence, but I am absolutely convinced he is up there somewhere looking down on us.

Rocket2
15th Oct 2007, 09:38
I'd just like to thank Baldrick, Dick's family & the team at Windrushers for organising such a fantastic send off for the great man. A really touching service & JB's address was one of the best I've heard. Shame the weather was not good enough for a flypast (never heard the jet from inside the crem').
RIP Dick, it's an honour to have known you.

Sedbergh
22nd Oct 2007, 11:55
Very thorough obituary for Stratts in todays Times (Monday 22nd October)

- you can't really call an obituary good can you?

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Oct 2007, 12:27
Given we all keel over eventually (or at least nobody's beaten the system yet) yes, I think you can.

Well after "compulsory retirement", with that level of achievement and that many friends and admirers - well I think that most of us might hope for something similar when we shuffle off. (Not many will achieve it mind you).

Similarly, it was a very appropriate funeral - my complements to John Brownlow for an excellent memorial speech, and to the Windrushers gliding club for ensuring that his passing was marked appropriately. Interesting to glance at some of his certificates and awards: 37 years as a Fellow of the RAeS shows the level of his achievements in early life, including another showing him coming top of his RAF Flight Engineers course in 1945.

G

pete lewis
27th Aug 2009, 23:06
Hi G
Dont know if you are the G I knew at Bicester but I have only just heard about Dick and am saddened to here the news.

Genghis the Engineer
1st Sep 2009, 21:08
Hi G
Dont know if you are the G I knew at Bicester but I have only just heard about Dick and am saddened to here the news.

I knew Dick mostly through the RAeS and a common friendship with the late Ann Welch - I've never flown from Bicester.

Was just talking with a Bicester flyer about him the other day, still missed and still much appreciated for all of his years of work in aviation.

G

astir 8
2nd Sep 2009, 07:30
I doubt if Dick (of blessed memory) would have got on well with EASA - he was far too sensible a bloke.

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Sep 2009, 15:53
I doubt if Dick (of blessed memory) would have got on well with EASA - he was far too sensible a bloke.

I think it would be fair to say that Dick never got on well with any authority that wanted to tell him what he could, or couldn't, do to any aeroplane. At times a reactionary old bugger, but a very competent one who did many people many favours in this industry.

G

astir 8
3rd Sep 2009, 07:07
Dick - Never mind the paperwork, think of practical safety

EASA - Never mind the practical safety, think of the paperwork

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Sep 2009, 09:59
The right approach is probably somewhere in the between - the problem with the two extremes is that real safety only happens when you have the best people (like Dick!) on the job, whilst a mix is reasonably survivable in most environments.

G

james stratton
5th Jan 2018, 15:32
I have just joined this forum as Dick Stratton was my uncle and I have a question which you gents may be able to help me with. Dick had a twin brother Gordon (my father) and he passed away in April 2017 at the grand age of 94 yo. He was also a flight engineer on Sunderland flying boats during the war.
When I went through his things I have found a trophy which was awarded to Dick it is the JOHN PLAYER AWARD FOR LIGHT AVIATION presented to RB STRATTON in recognition of his services to light aviation. Its in the form of a delta wing aircraft and is made of silver , dented, typical Uncle Dick.
Can anyone tell me anything about it? It doesn't have a date on it.
He was a great Uncle and obviously highly thought of . I wonder if anyone can help?

OpenCirrus619
5th Jan 2018, 17:02
From this it looks like he was the first person to receive the award (in 1971): https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1971/1971%20-%202777.html

New award winner The winner of the first John Player
Award for Achievement in General Aviation is Mr Dick
Stratton (46). A panel of judges headed by HRH The
Duke of Gloucester unanimously agreed to the award in
recognition of Mr Stratton's contribution to general aviation
as an engineer and technical advisor (in which
capacity he helps CSE, Oxford and Hoverwork, Isle of
Wight) and his many years of voluntary service at flyingclub
and private-pilot level.
The announcement was made during the British Light
Aviation Centre's Christmas reception on December 16,
although Mr Stratton was unable to be present at the
time to collect his trophy and £250 cash prize. The winner
was selected from a total of 18 nominations.

OC619