PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest/Best Radio/intercom/modeS?

one2go
20th Sep 2007, 18:38
What would you opt for to fulfill these requirements?

I've flown in a friends aircraft and with a handheld Icom and another with a Micrair, definately prefered the latter.

Just want something that does the job but doesn't cost the earth. I'm trying to set an accurate total budget for a possible syndicate kitbuild.

Thanks in advance for your advice. I know you pay for what you get but what is the minimum standard you think acceptable?

I may be in a position to shop on a regular basis in the USA with work if that's a factor.

lc_aerobatics
20th Sep 2007, 18:46
Give adams a call on 01959576129 and aks for Stephen or Robin.
They'll help you to get all sorted.
Cheers.
LC

A and C
20th Sep 2007, 22:28
The best answer that I can give is that the cheap bottom of the range avionics are the most costly to own in terms of reliability and repair cost.

Think about what you aree going to use the kit for and dont get taken in by "showroom performance" that is unusable in the air.

The best kit will be made by Becker, King or Garmin (not in any order) with PS engineering high on the list for intercoms.

Once you have decided what to fit spend the extra £200 on an avionic cooling fan..........................it will save it's cost four times over !!!

tangovictor
21st Sep 2007, 17:00
filser make excellent avionics
uk importer is lx aviation in Oxford
they have a site, can't recall the url, try a search

Small Rodent Driver
21st Sep 2007, 17:09
I use an Icom A22 coupled to a Communica intercom in ye ancient Cub with excellent results.

The intercom is the type which replaces the Icom battery pack and has the headset jacks built in.

A good antenna fit also helps.

muffin
21st Sep 2007, 17:43
We have just fitted an Icom A200 which works very well for a basic radio. Also a PS Engineering intercom which are probably the best standalone ones in the world.