PDA

View Full Version : Tailwheel Instructor Courses

chipieflyer
19th Sep 2007, 12:09
Hello,

I was just interested to know if there are any schools in the UK which offer an FI(R) course on tailwheel aircraft. I already have some tailwheel time and would like to build on this at the same time as doing my instructor rating. I know its a little different but I have my reasons!!

If this is possible, is it likely to affect me if I then apply to work at your average flying school instructing on Cessna/Pipers, ie. do schols like you to have completed the rating on the aircraft you are going to instruct on.

Many thanks,

Chipie

portsharbourflyer
19th Sep 2007, 14:09
Old Sarum offer the instructors rating on the tailwheel variant of the C-152.
I can highly recommend it.

Although not official, a common recommendation I have seen in some schools is that FI(R) should have at least 5 hours p1 on any type he/she is instructing on. In other words as long as you have some previous time on the type of aircraft your school is operating it doesn't matter what type you complete the FI course on. So in other words no it won't make any difference, infact completing the course on a tail-wheel has many advantages. After learning to patter a tailwheel take off and landing you will find it quite easy to patter a take off in a trike undercarriage. Also most clubs will find it extremely useful to have someone on the staff with tailwheel experience.

'India-Mike
19th Sep 2007, 14:37
Currently doing my FIC on a Chipmunk. Tailwheel a non-issue but I've got 160 hours on type. Might be a bit different if you wanted to do FIC on a tailwheel type with limited experience though.

Contacttower
19th Sep 2007, 15:24
Old Sarum offer the instructors rating on the tailwheel variant of the C-152.
I can highly recommend it.

Indeed I'll second that.

FlyingForFun
19th Sep 2007, 19:31
To tell the truth, so little of the FIC is spent doing circuits that I can't see it would make any difference at all (to your training, or your subsequent instruction, regardless of the u/c configuration) whether you do the course in a tail-dragger or a trike.

On the other hand, if you feel your tail-dragger skills are lacking, and you'd like to hone them during the course, then you can be sure of becoming more proficient during the course. But I'm not sure I would like my proverbial granny/son/wife being taught to fly tail-draggers by someone who wasn't absolutely confident flying them himself only a few hours ago, regardless of the legalities.

FFF
--------------

portsharbourflyer
20th Sep 2007, 00:00
For most of us that did the course at Old Sarum, the majority of us had only completed (including myself) the tailwheel conversion a couple days before starting the FI course, and I seem to remember getting a reasonble bit of circuit practice during the course. Yes the tailwheel does make it a little trickier but nothing that can't be mastered in the 30 hours. Remember every flight gives you the chance to practice pattering a take off and landing.
Plenty of the FIC course grads at Old Sarum have gone onto teach tailwheel conversion at the club without any problems.

Remember any FI(R) whom has done course on a trike and then completse a 5 hour tailwheel conversion afterwards is legally allowed to teach tailwheel, so if you have completed a whole course on a tailwheel you are alot better prepared than for teaching tailwheel than the legal minimum.

FlyingForFun
20th Sep 2007, 21:07
Remember any FI(R) whom has done course on a trike and then completse a 5 hour tailwheel conversion afterwards is legally allowed to teach tailwheelTrue (although I'm not sure there's any 5 hours requirement for the conversion, just training as required).

But I wrote my previous post as someone who did his initial taildragger conversion with an instructor who had only just converted to taildraggers herself - then spent another 7 hours dual with an experienced taildragger instructor learning all the bits that I hadn't learnt in the initial checkout. I have no problems with the original instructor at all, I'm still friends with her many years later, and I also used her for my IMC course some time after my early taildragger experiences, but at the time when she did my conversion, she was not experienced enough to train me properly.if you have completed a whole course on a tailwheel you are alot better prepared than for teaching tailwheel than the legal minimumCan't argue with that!

FFF
---------------

chipieflyer
21st Sep 2007, 09:32
Many thanks for all of your replies.

I think I will be contacting Old Sarum in the near future to have a chat with them. It certainly seems a good option.

FFF, I take your point about trying to teach tailwheel without much experience on them. That was why I was looking at doing the course on a tailwheel aircraft, the more experience the better! I figured it would be easier to do the course on taildraggers and then instruct on tricycle gear when necessary, than vice-versa.

Contacttower
21st Sep 2007, 09:44
I think Old Sarum's C152 Taildragger is up for sale...if that went that would just leave the Cub...:E

BroomstickPilot
21st Sep 2007, 11:53
Hi Guys,
'Old Sarum offer the instructors rating on the tailwheel variant of the C-152.
I can highly recommend it'.
I regret to inform you all that Old Sarum's C152 Texas Taildragger is very definitely up for sale. You'll see her in the current issues of some of the flying mags.
Broomstick.

portsharbourflyer
22nd Sep 2007, 00:17
FFF,

Yes you are correct it is just training as required, the only reason I mentioned 5 hours is most schools offering "tailwheel conversion courses" are sold as 5 hour packages. Sorry for my misleading phrasing.

That is a real shame to hear that G-Drag is for sale; one of Old Sarum's defining features.

Lembrado
22nd Sep 2007, 12:22
Re: G-DRAG

This wonderful little aeroplane was up for sale when I worked as an Instructor at OSFC three years ago!

I used her at every opportunity - trial lessons, PPL lessons, tailwheel conversions.

Enjoy!

Happy times.

L.

Cuillin
24th Sep 2007, 09:04
Here she is

http://www.justplanetrading.com/Stock/CESSNA%20340A.htm

barit1
30th Sep 2007, 18:13
Forgive please the thread creep -

Wouldn't that 152 look much nicer with a straight (early 60s) Cessna vertical fin? I always thought straight-fin Cessnas had smoother rudder feel (compared to swept-fin) too - probably less friction in the clevises. :)

And there may be another reason to prefer this too: :ouch:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20050414X00457&key=1

Whopity
30th Sep 2007, 20:33
Try Denham they have a Citabria!

Duchess_Driver
30th Sep 2007, 21:02
The Citabria has just had a new engine....a few hours needed before it's used in anger me thinks!.