PDA

View Full Version : Practice ILS

RAC/OPS
19th Sep 2007, 09:24
Quite often we accept training flights only for the TWR to impose a go around not below 400 feet because the runway is occupied.
Is this a problem for you? Would you rather complete the approach to minimums or are you happy just to track the LLZ/GS?
I personally think it a bit inconsiderate to accept such flights then be told you cannot complete the exercise!

PS I work approach for two airports. The one in question is located in Class G!

Chilli Monster
19th Sep 2007, 11:48
And as an adjunct to this

How many examiners / instructors out there realise that the "not below 400ft" restriction refers to the runway itself - there is nothing to stop you coming down to DH providing you don't overfly the runway below 400ft agl?

DFC
25th Sep 2007, 11:49
I can't believe that you as a controller would be happy with issuing an instruction for an arriving flight to "go-arround not below 400ft" and that flight descended below that.

As an examminer, not complying with the instruction would be a failure point and I would have to intervene to ensure the safety (and legality) of the flight.

Similarly, manoeuvering the aircraft off the missed approach (either published or issued by ATC) would also be a failure point for very important safety reasons.

Regards,

DFC

QNH 1013
25th Sep 2007, 12:01
RAC/OPS, Well I'll try to answer the question. It really depends on the training that the student is doing. Not below 400 ft would be ok for IMC rating training, but certainly not very helpful for IR training, because its the last bit that is the most sensitive. When I did my IR I remember the approach fees being very high at places like Southampton. If I wasn't allowed to go to minimums, then I think it would be wrong to charge for the approach. You are going to have to show the examiner you can fly the ILS to minimums on the test.