PDA

View Full Version : East Midlands Flying School

Spruit
19th Sep 2007, 07:19
Hi,

It saddens me to be reporting that The East midlands Flying School is closing down at the end of November 2007, this I believe is due to the expansion of certain areas of EGNX, effectively building over the flying schools building and apron.

I am a current EMFS Student (About 20ish hours in) and what disappoints me the most is the inability of East Midlands Airport to re-locate the flying school to another area of the airfield effectively ending what is a quality school at what I used to think was a pretty decent airfield, I'm sure there's plenty of politics behind the decision and no doubt Ryan Air, BMI, Easy Jet etc and DHL provide the airport with more ££££'s that EMFS could ever do.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone at EMFS for a great time, learning was always fun, thanks to the instructors who took me up and said those exciting and sometimes scary words "You have control" and to the owners for providing a safe and enjoyable flying school with a family atmosphere.

You will be missed.

Spru!

slim_slag
19th Sep 2007, 07:50
That's what happens when airfields become too big for their boots over here. Don't know where you live, but Leicester has a great atmosphere and the real Nottingham airport isn't that bad. If it's not too far I'd head to Leicester if I was you.

NorthSouth
19th Sep 2007, 07:58
How very sad and depressing. I wonder what the background is? Has the owner been given inducements to close/move by the airport? There's no mention of closure on the school's website.

NEMA has a similar number of ATMs to Belfast and Newcastle where training continues. It has a great deal less than Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen where training continues (although none of those are commercial outfits). There should be no reason why an airport with those traffic levels should not be able to support a flying school. At least EMFS has a whole host of alternative locations - Nottingham, Derby, Leicester to name the obvious ones.

I predict Leeds Bradford will be the next to ditch GA. The new MD there is the guy who did his best to eject GA from Bristol then Newcastle.

NS

Spruit
19th Sep 2007, 08:05
Quote "I wonder what the background is? Has the owner been given inducements to close/move by the airport? There's no mention of closure on the school's website"

Not that I was aware of, in the details I have been made aware of, the flying school asked for a new lease at an alternate location on the airfield and were refused by EGNX.

I'm from Nottingham and although I agree we have a few alternatives, it's still a sad fact of life!

Spru!

Chilli Monster
19th Sep 2007, 08:27
There are two sides to every story - so before we start attacking the airport:

1) The owner has had a stroke, the school has been run by his wife since. If the will to continue the business was there, why not re-locate to another airfield?

2) Flying training is not ceasing at EMA - Donair is still there.

3) Contrary to popular opinion expressed here the site at EMA is extremely small for the business it contains. There is precious little room to expand where needed. One look at the airport diagram in the AIP (if you have a knowledge of what is already on the site) shows to all but the most blinkered attitude that options for re-location are minimal, if they exist at all.

4) Unlike areas like Newcastle, Belfast etc the area is well served by 3, licenced, GA airfields.

slim_slag
19th Sep 2007, 08:36
My understanding that that there is plenty of room for a flying school, but car parks make more money :)

(note the smiley)

almost professional
19th Sep 2007, 09:01
could not put a car park on the EMFS site-and Chilli is right there is more to this than an anti GA airport, which by and large we are not

Kanu
19th Sep 2007, 09:58
@North South
I'd doubt anything will appear on the website to be honest - its updated by the engineer and the majority of it is well out of date.

All members/students were informed by letter, we're doing our best to get people through the course asap and for people with a long way to go, we'll be making it as easy as poss to move schools/clubs.

NutLoose
19th Sep 2007, 18:53
There are two sides to every story - so before we start attacking the airport:

1) The owner has had a stroke, the school has been run by his wife since. If the will to continue the business was there, why not re-locate to another airfield?

And where would you relocate to ChilliMonster? Most of the GA fields about are probably owned by the same people owning the schools... I am sure they would just LOVE the competition, as would the schools there..

Also simply upping sticks and bogging off at a moments notice is not really a practability....well unless your name is R***A*R.... their track record on this isn't exactly startling compared to a company that has been established on the same site for over 20 years, One hopes it does not come home and bite the airport on the butt having seemingly laid all their eggs in one proverbial basket.

4) Unlike areas like Newcastle, Belfast etc the area is well served by 3, licenced, GA airfields.

If that was the case, then why did the school have over 300 members? surely they would have gone elsewhere if the supply was adequate.

fireflybob
19th Sep 2007, 19:03
Sorry to hear the news about EMSF.

Some of us remember the early days - I seem to recall the EMSF located there almost as soon as EMA opened for business and I spent many a happy hour there when my father was an instructor there.

Many a budding professional pilot started at EMSF and they also trained countless PPLs too.

The halcyon days of Orion Airways and then proceeding to the flying school for a chat and a cup of tea (not to mention the bar!) will never be forgotten - how lucky we were to have those days!

Thanks to Bill and Jill and all the staff that have kept it going for so long.

wired2fly
20th Sep 2007, 19:48
That's a shame, I had just started looking at schools to do a PPL around the Nottingham area, EMFS was top of the list.
Presumably Donair might benefit from EMFS's unfortunate dismise if they sell the aircraft and other equipment to them?
Has anyone had any experience of Donair? Would be interested to know what they are like.

niknak
21st Sep 2007, 14:29
Donair have been on the go for as long as I have, (and thats a long time!) and I've not heard anything adverse about them.
I believe that says as much as you need to know:ok:

WorkingHard
21st Sep 2007, 17:25
almost professional - from a pilot point of view you are indeed a very welcome airport. I have not actually landed there for some time but on my frequent travels from my home base I often ask and receive a very good service.
Thanks

mark8647
21st Sep 2007, 21:52
I have recently changes flying schools to donair and find it great. Very good instructers, reasonablie fees and good atmosphere...better than my previous experiences.

Say again s l o w l y
22nd Sep 2007, 13:38
I trained for my PPL at EMFS, I was at uni in Loughborough at the time and it was the closest place.

It's a real shame the place is closing down. The training I recieved was of the highest quality, even with hindsight.

Another good school lost and GA getting squeezed from another airfield. I wonder how long Donair will last.

PPRuNeUser0173
22nd Sep 2007, 17:42
Sorry to here that EMSF is to close. I have many good memories of the place. I did my Flying Instructors Course there with Fireflybob's father which was a totally enjoyable experience.

fireflybob
22nd Sep 2007, 19:11
I only home they have a closing down party!

fireflybob
23rd Sep 2007, 17:54
How about any ex-students of EMSF posting any funny stories as a sort of trip down memory lane. Here's one I can recall.

This must have happened late 1960s. In those days the ATC was, to say the least, somewhat lacking.

Frank Spencer (not the comedian but a very good ex RAF instructor) is in the circuit with a student in Cessna 150. We are all in the flying school listening in to Approach and the Red Arrows call for transit north to south through the overhead at circa 2,000 ft. ATC asks if they would like to go thru the overhead at low level (2-300 ft)? They reply in the affirmative so we are all outside to watch the impromptu display and they come across with smoke on etc - only trouble is Approach didnt notify the Tower so Frank gets the shock of his life when he's on short final pattering an approach when Arrow formation zoom across his bows with all the smoke.

The look on Franks face and the expletives he used when he was talking to ATC on the phone to complain had to be seen to be belived whilst the rest of us were suffering from unrestrained laughter! His student thought the lesson was the best ever!

Frank sent me on my first solo in 1968 at EMA on RW 28 (now 27) in a Chipmunk. He was certainly one of the best instructors ever and will be remembered by many and went on to set up the Spencer School of Flying at Tollerton later on.

fireflybob
23rd Sep 2007, 19:23
Ok here is another. A large "balbo" of aircraft including all the aircraft from the flying school had gone across to see the air display at Hucknall in the late 1960s (this was in the days of REAL air displays with Lightnings doing full reheat climb outs etc!). They all returned in "loose" formation line astern. The ATCO in the tower authorised them to do a run and break (about 12 a/c) and land in stream. As they are beginning the "run" a Viscount calls the tower inbound from Belfast requesting a visual. Tower says cleared for a visual - report on final you are number thirteen!! All goes ok the last a/c of the Balbo is on final but the Viscount is a bit close behind. As the Cessna touches down ATC request the pilot to vacate IMMEDIATELY onto the grass (meaning the grass Runway 01/19 which crossed the main Runway 10/28 in those days). Unfortunately said pilot (who shall remain nameless RIP) clears the runway IMMEDIATELY onto the (muddy) grass and then gets stuck with tailplane overhanging the runway! Viscount is then instructed to Go Around (we called it Overshoot in the "olden days").

The Air Traffic Controller was well known to us and the ensuing conversation he had with the pilot of Cessna afterwards was one I will never forget!

EastMids
26th Sep 2007, 16:28
Having been a member at EMFS for some 12 years or more, I always enjoyed my flying there. Sadly, whatever the rights and wrongs (as per the letter, and issues perhaps alluded to be Chilli / Almost_Prof), the likelihood is that GA will lose a number of pilots as a result of this. There are quite a number of hire-members at EMFS who particularly use the PA28s, and whilst Donair and/or Leicester and/or Tollerton and/or others may be alternatives for some, certainly my impression is that the former lacks sufficient aircraft to soak up a significant increase in members wanting to fly regularly.

Ah well, it was a good twelve years - the announcement's come just in time to stop me spending money on what could be a rather wasted medical! Farewell Bill and Gill and everyone else involved - and thankyou.

Andy

Chilli Monster
26th Sep 2007, 17:35
There are quite a number of hire-members at EMFS who particularly use the PA28s

So why don't some of you get together and buy one?

Beavis and Butthead
26th Sep 2007, 20:38
Really sorry to hear this. Had my first ever flying lesson at EMFS back in 1992 and because of this I never fail to look fondly and respectfully at the school every time I taxy past it.

Many thanks and good luck Bill and Gill .... hope to call in soon to wish you the best in person.

:(

Beefy_EMA
2nd Oct 2007, 14:52
So why don't some of you get together and buy one?Yeah, what is happening to G-**ON?

I need to pop in and see Gill next time I am back in the UK.

Chequeredflag
2nd Oct 2007, 19:13
I flew the old girl today - she is still a faithful member of the school fleet, and my personal favourite. She's getting on a bit in years, but she's the aircraft I learned on, and passed my skills test in, so I'm a bit emotionally attached to her.
It's a great shame about the loss of the School - it's one of the few around based at a large commercial airport with controlled airspace. I'm sure if many others learned in such an environment, we would have less airspace busts.
They are still trying to slavage the situation, but I believe the cost of any alternatives (if any are found) will render the operation uneconomical. My thanks go to their patient instructors and Bill and Gill, the owners, whose "stickler" approach to their students discipline ensures they turn out good pilots (with the possible exception of me of course)
The ATC guys and girls are also excellent, and their patience with students stumbling R/T knows no bounds. Mind it was change for a BMI Baby 737 to have to hold for my approach today, luckily the wind was straight down the runway and my landing in front of this plane load of passengers was not too bad at all!!!

autothrottle
2nd Oct 2007, 22:20
I too agree whole heartedly , this is very , very sad. I have been flying on and off for 17years in the likes of ON, IM, ZP, RY, GO, GP. Did all my PPL ratings there at EMFS. It was EASILY the best run school I have ever come across with Highly professional instructors and the Legendary Bill and Gill. It is the end of an era where well trained pilots were a matter of course.

One or two little stories that make me smile when I think about them:

The first is the generosity if Bill and his lovely wife Gill. I had booked some hour building out in the states to prepare for BCPL training when the company concerned went out of business, taking my ( and a lot of others) money with it. I was shattered and popped in for a coffee to share my story. Bill and Gill not only listened but even did me a brill deal on block booking PA38"ER". Thats the sort of people they are .

The second involved two instructors there in the early 90's . I shall call them SNORKEY and PR. How many of you got roped into 'POPPING" into Nottingham or Leicester for a bacon sani or full english? I know I did and they were HAPPY DAYS!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for starting my aviation career in the best way, Bill and Gill . All the best.

JS:D

3rd Oct 2007, 11:22
Tatenhill is also v.good and not to far away as an alternative. Good, large fleet of aircraft and not too exspensive.

Kanu
3rd Oct 2007, 14:00
^^^

shamless plug from flying school owner me thinks:rolleyes:

Bravo73
3rd Oct 2007, 18:20
We can't both be the owner

Oh yes, you can! ;)

Local Variation
6th Oct 2007, 19:50
As a long time Member of the School, this has come as abit of a shock to all of us.

The Airport have made commercial decisions that are right for the airport and we have to accept the economics of that, given their customer in question. It is sad that another location on the airfield couldn't be found for us, possibly down towards the previous location at the western end or in amongst the BMI hangers.

As that previously mentioned, the notion of relocating as a whole elsewhere isn't a go-er as the club would not be welcomed on the basis of competition. Having already had a look around, it is going to be difficult for a number of us, as we have healthy number of PA28 drivers and these appear relatively few in the local area.

A tie in with the RR club at Hucknall where realtionships with EMFS are very good and go back along way would be just the ticket, but again, unlikely. Hopefully, we'll all get sorted.

A great Club with fanstastic owners and staff; will miss the place big time.

Chequeredflag
6th Oct 2007, 22:03
As I've said earlier, I'm very sad at the schools demise, being one of those who hire their PA28's - they patiently taught me to fly too. However, living South of East Mids, I have found "refuge" at the Coventry Aeroplane Club based at EGBE. Obviously, for those North of East Mids, it may be too far, but I can recommend the club to anyone who feels Coventry is not too far.
A very big attraction is the two new Warrior 111's in the fleet. Beautiful, low hours aircraft, well equipped (2 x Garmin 430's, electric standby vac pump etc etc) and based at a Club with good facilities - good bar etc!!
I have only done a couple of trips so far, one with their CFI (nice chap too) for a check ride, and one a couple of days ago to Gloucester. They do encourage Club members to fly together, and are happy for the aircraft to be taken for longer trips.
I have no commercial interest in the club except as a new member, but can recommend it for those who wish to fly new PA28's.

Aircart
7th Oct 2007, 17:46
I dont work for Tatenhill (just before anyone asks!) but would recomend them as I did my PPL there a while ago and do go there from time to time to say hello. They have a good School set up and reliable instructors.
As an ex FI I think it is a really good place to learn as you dont have to wait at the hold etc and you get lots of touch and goes in an hr. (landing being a big part of some PPL students hrs) So having a longish runway is a good thing when trying to learn!

Heard good things about Cov. to but depends where you live.

I started my PPL at EMFS and enjoyed it, I have good memories and will be sad to see this School close.

:{

Spruit
8th Oct 2007, 09:23
I agree that the expansion of EMA is a good thing; it will obviously benefit the local economy and the airfield.

But I disagree with the airfields methods of just running roughshod over EMFS and closing down a thriving business.

Plus this removes a decent well run training establishment in controlled airspace from the East Midlands region, this can not be beneficial to the aviation community as a whole, how many now professional pilots trained (and hopefully) benefited from training with full ATC etc etc at EMFS?

I've written to the managing director of EMA outlining my disappointment with their decision not to re-locate, not only a thriving private aviation business, but a well respected training establishment from the East Midlands!

Spru!

Just another student
8th Oct 2007, 09:42
Just a quick note to say thankyou to EMFS for helping me on the road to where I am today. I completed an IMC with them, whilst also flying a number of hours during my hour building period. The owners treated me very well and although I have not been in quite some time, just to know that the school will not be there saddens me.

I too have nice memories of G-""ON, nice plane, loved the leather seats :}

ALTSEL
4th Nov 2007, 18:04
What! No Hector Taylor stories?? The history of this school goes way way back. An ATPL role of Honor of guys flying big commercial airplanes after a apprenticeship at EMFS is very very long.

Please Add to this ex instructor list

Paul Whittingham - virgin 340
Andy Tilling - Virgin 747
Rich Hull - Virgin 747
Russ Wicks - BMI 320
Tim Palmer - Virgin cessna 152
Tim Wooltooortorton , Dave meridith, Tony Whitfield, Ian Lamb, adrian merimen,Jimmy McGregor,................................................... ..................................................the list is endless - pls add

BroomstickPilot
4th Nov 2007, 18:22
Hi Guys,

For the last few weeks, East Mid's Cessna 152s have been up for sale on some of the aircraft sales websites. While not in the first flush of youth, these aeroplanes look to have been well maintained and are well equiped.

Now if a deal has indeed been done with Donair that will save East Mids, then either these Cessnas will be needed back on the line, or else some or all of them may still be surplus to requirements and remain up for sale.

If they remain up for sale, then I would suggest that the best way to help the proprietors of East Mids would be for members to form groups and buy 'em up, 'cos they look like a good buy.

Broomstick.

EastMids
4th Nov 2007, 21:46
Best understanding of the likely sitation is:

* Donair acquiring EMFS, to be based in current Donair premises
* Donair (or whatever its to be called) to take 4 x C152 from EMFS
* Gill to be involved in running of new organisation
* Some EMFS instructors to move over (number tbc at this time)
* PA-28 G-CDON being acquired by a group, remain based at EMA but not available to Donair
* Situation wrt PA-28 G-BPRY (privately owned and loaned to EMFS) and Arrow G-TEBZ tbc

A

llanfairpg
4th Nov 2007, 22:03
Firefly Bob do you remember the day a student buzzed two local universities after a row with his girlfriend and was arrested by the busies on his return. I often wonder what became of him. Your dad was CFI then wasnt he or was it Barry something or other ?

My funniest moment at EMA was when an Aztec landed one day and called for taxi instructions. ATC said "taxi where, DF indicates you just landed at Wymeswold!"

Flyer Flier
4th Nov 2007, 22:15
ALTSEL Please Add to this ex instructor list
Paul Whittingham - virgin 340
Andy Tilling - Virgin 747
Rich Hull - Virgin 747
Russ Wicks - BMI 320
Tim Palmer - Virgin cessna 152
Tim Wooltooortorton , Dave meridith, Tony Whitfield, Ian Lamb, adrian merimen,Jimmy McGregor,......................................... .................................................. ..........the list is endless - pls add
Don't forget:
Paul Rawlings - Ryanair
Phil Brown - Thomas Cook
Erica Morris - Virgin
Steve Walshaw - exVirgin
Steve Clark (me) - Virgin
Simon Hinsley - Virgin
Andy Smith - BMI baby
Jason Scattergood (exPPL) - BMI baby
Nick Smith (exPPL) - Virgin
Dave Garney - Not sure who now.
Lots more, bet Bill can still rattle them all off despite his condition. The twenty year EMFS party showed how successful and popular the school was by the huge numbers who turned up to celebrate with Bill and Gill.
Whatever happens, either with a Donair tie-up or not, EMFS will always be a happy memory for very many former students, PPLs and instructors.
Cheers Everyone:D:ok:
Steve.

fireflybob
4th Nov 2007, 23:28
Firefly Bob do you remember the day a student buzzed two local universities after a row with his girlfriend and was arrested by the busies on his return. I often wonder what became of him. Your dad was CFI then wasnt he or was it Barry something or other ?

My funniest moment at EMA was when an Aztec landed one day and called for taxi instructions. ATC said "taxi where, DF indicates you just landed at Wymeswold!"

llanfairpg, yes I recall both incidents very well! In the former I recall that the person involved had (allegedly) also managed to do this whilst drinking a bottle of gin (or was it vodka) in the process and also hit a powerline with the tail blacking out the local electricity in the process! Yes Hector was CFI then - I think Barry was the one that went to Monarch and eventually married (I think) Joyce Barton who worked on reception for quite a while.

There was also a case in the early days when a Viscount landed at Wymeswold instead of EMA.

llanfairpg
5th Nov 2007, 10:52
Ah Bob, I know you well. I was always impressed with your table of different app speeds for the C172 for each passenger carried and I can confirm i am still trying to fly that accurately!

What happened to the chap with the moustache who seemed to own the school at the time and loved drawing Thrust/drag + Lift/thrust diagrams on the board?

There was also the Aztec that was cleared to land at EMA after calling 'finals' and touched down non radio on 24 at Birmingham!

Hector by the way did more Instructor renewals and initials than any other panel eaxaminer at that time--God bless him- a true gentleman

K.Whyjelly
6th Nov 2007, 21:24
Heard on the grapevine that Jason Scattergood is now a Capt with Ryanair, Dave Meredith and Ian Lamb both skippers with bmi Baby.

And dear old Hector did my instructor test many many years ago and scribbled a few notes whilst I was briefing him. On seeing me look quizzically at his scribblings on returning to my seat he told me it was in classical greek having studied classics at university

fireflybob
7th Nov 2007, 00:23
Jason Scattergood just left Ryanair to go to Emirates!

I think Hector's scribblings were probably Pitman's Shorthand!

What happened to the chap with the moustache who seemed to own the school at the time and loved drawing Thrust/drag + Lift/thrust diagrams on the board?

Think that would be Roger Truseler who I recall went down to Hurn to be an instructor there.

benhurr
7th Nov 2007, 01:05
Ok how about:

Jason Stevens : LEA

Lindsey needham : LEA

Tony Myers: LEA

Richard Goodwin: Thomsonfly

Gareth Blakeley: Easyjet

fireflybob
11th Nov 2007, 01:33
Not to mention the infamous and good friend of mine Tim Howarth who must now have more hours on the A320 than many - he's now flying for a company in Italy but lives on his boat when he comes home!

Spruit
15th Nov 2007, 08:37
Anyone got any updates on what's occuring at EMFS?

Spru!

Local Variation
16th Nov 2007, 16:52
If you're a Member, expect something in the post very shortly.

If your not, you'll have to wait to hear what we hear !!

Fingers crossed on the anticipated outcome.

horizon888
22nd Nov 2007, 14:40
Hi had my solo at burnaston air field Derby 1965 on GAPYG Chippy.
Can't believe EMSF is closing down:(

llanfairpg
22nd Nov 2007, 14:50
Horizon have you got any pics of Burnaston?

horizon888
23rd Nov 2007, 11:15
Sorry regret no pics of burnaston, forgot to mention i moved to EM same year,Frank Spencer was CFI.
Burnaston is now Toyota:mad:

horizon888
23rd Nov 2007, 11:26
EMSF is moving to Don Air!

Local Variation
26th Nov 2007, 18:01
Confirmation from the school that EMFS is relocating within Donair, just the other side of the BMI maintenance hangers at EMA.

The transfer along with Gill !!! will take place this coming Thursday.

Normal service resumed........:ok:

Spruit
27th Nov 2007, 10:07
That's great news!

Congrats to all involved for figuring out a solution to an absurd problem!

Spru!

EastMids
27th Nov 2007, 11:03
Confirmation from the school that EMFS is relocating within Donair

Actually, Donair are buying [some of the] assets of EMFS, and Donair will continue to operate an enlarged business from their existing location. The EMFS building is going, sooner or later. The four EMFS C152s are moving over, as are some of the staff (indeed including Gill I understand), and PA28 G-BPRY will to be loaned to the new organisation as it was to EMFS in the past. PA28 G-CDON has been bought by a group of EMFS members and won't be available to Donair, and I'm unsure what's happening to G-TEBZ.

A

Russell Gulch
28th Nov 2007, 13:28
Horizon have you got any pics of Burnaston?
Pprune photos of Burnaston (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3732823&postcount=1603)
And here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3732623&postcount=1597)

fireflybob
28th Nov 2007, 17:12
I had my first flight ever from Burnaston in the rear seat of an Auster Autocrat - the year was 1957 and my father, Hector, was the pilot with my mother in the front also - I think she was more nervous than I was!

I also recall attending an air display there as a child when a Miles Magister flicked off a low level steep turn whilst "balloon bursting" killing the solo pilot. This happened right in front of the crowd line but it did not put me off flying but it was a salutary lesson which I have never forgotten!

Whenever I drive past the Toyota factory I mourn the loss of Burnaston!

Mickey Kaye
31st Jan 2008, 04:46
Could anyone tell me what Adrian Matthewman is up to these days?

egbgstudent
31st Jan 2008, 07:29
That's what happens when airfields become too big for their boots over here. Don't know where you live, but Leicester has a great atmosphere and the real Nottingham airport isn't that bad. If it's not too far I'd head to Leicester if I was you.

The atmosphere and surroundings of Leicester are great, sitting in uncontrolled airspace, the airfield is run by the club. Social scene is also great once the days flying is complete.
There is a cloud over Leicester though as the current landowners (our wonderful caring sharing CO-OP) are trying to break a lease with 12 years to run in order to build a new eco town!!!

Airstripflyer
31st Jan 2008, 07:37
I joined EMSF in 1973 after 2 years learning to fly Chipmunks in East Midland UAS. I well remember flying with Frank Spencer and Lesley Hardy at Castle Donnington. Incidently Chipmunk G-AMUF that I flew there is still going strong! I am still flying and have been with Monarch for the last 21 years.
My amusing anecdote is that ATC had a habit of asking for Captain's name and number on board. A certain pilot had the surname Haddock so his reply was " Captain Haddock with 3 soles on board".

Mike Clark

fireflybob
31st Jan 2008, 08:55
I well remember flying with Frank Spencer and Lesley Hardy at Castle Donnington.

Lesley Hardy became a professional pilot for British Midland, not sure where she is now.

There was also an Australian instructor, Andrew Leet who went off to fly with Air Bridge on the Argosy.

Another one I recall was John Fleming - also went to BM.

Airstripflyer
31st Jan 2008, 09:36
Looking in my logbook I see that my Chipmunk checkout in January 1973 was with an instructor named Krarup. Does that name ring any bells?

Mike

fireflybob
31st Jan 2008, 09:40
Yes that was Tony Krarup - remember him well - he was still going strong when he came to my dad's funeral in 1995 but not heard of him since!

TacitBlue
26th Feb 2008, 06:51
A.M. with Monarch apparently,FBW.

Mickey Kaye
27th Feb 2008, 00:11
Thanks. I used to work with AM at GT air services and we both soloed and got our CPL and AFI's at about the same time. Had my medical pulled not long after so lost touch. I always look back at those days with fondness.

ShyTorque
29th Feb 2008, 22:08
EMSF is definitely no more. I noticed today that the actual buildings have been removed, only a bare patch of earth to mark the site now.

Kanu
1st Mar 2008, 13:54
EMFS is still there!

Donair acquired all assets and employed all the staff including Gill:)

same school, different building.

ShyTorque
2nd Mar 2008, 09:54
No, I think it's true that not all the staff made the transfer to Donington Aviation and I've heard there are some new faces too.

Kanu
2nd Mar 2008, 10:56
ALL the staff moved over. 1 instructor has since moved on to Easyjet and 2 new instructors have been employed bringing the total to 5 full timers.

Not entirely sure who you think was left behind?

ShyTorque
2nd Mar 2008, 11:27
I didn't say anyone was left behind (please check your pm's).

Nearly
13th Mar 2008, 16:50
Hello everyone,

As an ex-student of EMFS, I was very gobsmacked to hear last week that EMFS had shut down after having got back in touch with an old friend who I used to fly with from there. As many of you have already said, it seems to be the end of an era, particularly as I also remember the school being based at the eastern end of the field next to where the old Aviation Viewing park used to be. Its fantastic news that Donair have managed to transfer everyone (members and staff and aircraft) over to their premises and of course, I would like to wish everyone all the best.

I joined the flying school back in the late 90's having my last flight from EMFS late December 2004 so remember many of the instructors from that era very well indeed. In fact, Jason Scattergood used to be my instructor until I’d passed my PPL in 2000 and then Alan Cooper who used to drive that bright yellow car took over when Jason got his job for British Midland. I’ve got some excellent flying memories from EMFS. In particular, when I look back through my logbook, the first time Jason got me checked out and then all of a sudden, I was going on my first solo!! Not to mention my qualifying cross country, PPL skills test and being able to introduce my family and friends for the first time to flying light aircraft and there’s plenty more very happy memories besides. I also remember plenty of weekend daytimes just hanging out at EMFS when the weather was dodgy with Gill and Bill, Jason, Alan, Lindsey, Dale Wall and the young guy who worked behind the desk who used to fly the twin round the corner on the airfield (sadly I can’t remember his name!!) and the lads I used to fly with. The school was very professional and taught me a lot whilst at the same time maintaining that ‘family feel’ and I’m sure that’s pretty much why I used to travel to the airport even if the weather dictated we were never going to get flying – just for the chat!!!

Until now, I’ve always taken it for granted that when I got the chance to pop back to Nottingham I’d be able to go back to EMFS for a catch up with Gill and Bill, and take a flight but unfortunately those days that I remember are sadly now gone. I managed to get my PPL, IMC and Night ratings during my time at EMFS and now work for EasyJet based in Gatwick and am sure that EMFS played a very big part in teaching me the foundation skills needed to enable me to be in the position I am today.

Many thanks to Gill and Bill for their hard work over the many years (20 odd I believe??). I’m very sorry to hear of Bill’s illness but hope that he is much better now. I would be interested to hear how things are going over at Donair and I’m definitely going to make the effort to pop by the old site next time I’m up north and will probably pop by Donair too.

The Mad Russian
17th Mar 2008, 00:31
I guess many of us can thank Bill and Gill for launching our careers... I for one!

They took me on as a 17 year old AFI in 1985, despite thinking I knew it all... the truth soon manifest itself, I knew little about flying and even less about instructing. Bill frequently offering 'guidance' in those formative years!

I'm sure this start prepared me well for my Commercial career ahead. Which has spanned from humble beginnings as a 'self improver' to a B767 Captain and now B737 TRE for the airline that was once called Britannia. Off to the world of Corporate flying now to fly an intercontinental biz jet...

I learnt loads from my time at EMSF both in an aeroplane and in the bar!! My students might have learnt a little too??... I do remember that 'wingovers' and other 'experimental' aerobatic manoeuvres taught during trial lessons were promptly discontinued by Bill's post flight inspection regime for belly oil streaks! God help you if any were found!!

Thanks Bill and Gill for my start in aviation, I wish you both the very best for the future,

Rob Berger

alantheflyer
22nd May 2011, 10:09
Frank Spencer was my first instructor too. He and Hector Taylor - great guys.

I remember doing an exercise to the south of EGNX one afternoon with Frank - stalls I think - it had become quite turbulent on the return trip. As a newbie I was quite tired so Frank took over for the landing. It was a snorting cross-wind along with the turbulence. Frank approaches RW09 almost at right angles to allow for the x-wind. I'm waiting for him to hang a sharp right just before touchdown but, no, Frank lands it in the WIDTH of the runway! Who cares about the cross wind - much easier to land into wind!

Great days and great guys...

alantheflyer
22nd May 2011, 10:18
Who else rode the chartered DC8 from EGNX to Majorca for the presentation dinner - early 70's sometime? I still have my photo of drinking sangria. Sadly, my 8mm movie of Hector Taylor and others walking "along the prom" has since been lost.

fireflybob
22nd May 2011, 15:18
alan, yes I was on that chartered DC8 for the presentation dinner in the 1970s!

pity you haven't got that 8mm movie of my father, Hector walking on the prom!

Frank Spencer sent me on my first solo in 1968! Happy Days

alantheflyer
23rd May 2011, 06:44
Hello there Bob - nice to catch up again. I remember you from those days and flew with you on several occasions. I used to virtually live at EMSF during the times I was on leave from the Merchant Navy.

I always remember Hector with much admiration and affection. He was a most patient and effective tutor and a real gentleman to boot. I also remember him on one occasion doing flour-bombing displays out of a Tiger Moth at the annual airshow at Hucknall. Oh happy days....

Alan

netsurfa9
7th Jun 2011, 14:06
Hi I could not read all the anecdotes about this great flying school without adding my recollections. I learnt to fly there in 1968 and did my first solo on the Chipmunk G-AYPG that year. My instructor was Dave Smalley now (BA retired) but I was sent solo by Frank Spencer the CFI. Other Instructors at the time were Derek Harding RIP. Howard George, who I heard went to Midland, Viv Roberts. There was also a sim instructor called Ralph Readbuckle who supported a fine handlebar moustache. I also spent many happy hours with Hector Taylor and used to act as his stooge at airshows for which he kindly let me fly to and from the airshows to build up my hours. I did my Assistant instructor rating there and Hector later did my QFI test there. I owe Frank and Hector a great deal of gratitude. Frank gave me a lovely reference for my first job at Northants aero club, and was responsible for me getting a grant from the Geoffrey De-Havellend foundation to help with costs. I later went on to fly Viscounts, 1-11, DC10, B747 with Ba before retiring. I only hope there are instructors of there calibre out there now to give young men and women the encouragement and help to start on a great career in aviation
regards
Mike Jeffs:D

PeterO
1st Jan 2012, 15:39
Whist I was never directly involved with EMSF myself, my late father Alan Onion flew with EMSF between 1965 and 1974 and he took me flying with him many times during that time. Even though I was only a child all those years ago I have enjoyed reading this thread and I have recognised several of the people mentioned and some of the events as well. I see from my fathers log book that his first flight was with Frank Spencer in Chipmunk G-APYG on 13/11/65 (which incidentally was my 2nd birthday!). His other instructors were J. Wilcox, M. Hibbert and of course H. Taylor. Another name mentioned in this thread that I recognise (and is in his log book) is A (Tony) Krarup, I've just scanned a rather fragile and faded newspaper cutting from Castle Donnington and Kegworth NuNews from March 7th 1968. It's available here: http://www.peteronion.org.uk/EMSF/Emercency2.jpg I have a few pictures that I'll scan and put in the same place... Peter Onion. PS: I can't seem to get a sensible text layout so sorry it's a bit of a mess !

fireflybob
1st Jan 2012, 20:50
PeterO - I remember your father Alan well with a great sense of humour so he and dad Hector got on very well. (I think he attended Hector's funeral in 1995)

Yes sadly Ralph Reid-Buckle (who did much work for the Air Training Core) died in the Varsity accident. His partner was Gillian Campbell (nee) who was an air traffic controller at EMA for quite a few years and often used to pop in to EMSF and I believe she also did R/T tests - last heard of as a controller at Gibraltar.

Another one to add to the countless list of those who went on to fly with the airlines was Keith Munro who went to Orion Airways and then Cathay Pacific where he got his command on the B747.

When I get a moment I will have a look at Hector's logbooks (assuming I can read his scrawl!) for some more names!

Sleeve Wing
2nd Jan 2012, 00:01
Happy New Year, Bob..........

>>> When I get a moment I will have a look at Hector's logbooks (assuming I can read his scrawl!) for some more names! <<<<

See your PMs.

bluemoon21
26th Aug 2012, 23:58
Hello Robert,

I came across this forum completely by accident. I do of course remember all the instructors & members of EMFS of the '70's. I am saddened to learn of Hector's demise. He was a real character, gentleman, fantastic pilot & instructor. He taught me such a lot.

I've been living in Perth Aust, since 1979 & Hong Kong/Shenzhen as well since 2005. The last time I was in the UK was '82 hence my lack of knowledge about EMFS & Hector.

Hope you are well etc.

David
GAS00 Twin Comm

JamesMc
29th Jun 2017, 08:53
Hi,
I completed my flight instructor rating with the great Hector Taylor back in 1978, at East Midlands Flying Club.
Sorry to see it is no more, and gone forever, can I ask is Donair on the same site as the old EMFC?

Also remember the old greasy spoon where we had lunch, that`s probably gone too. Do have a bun!

Jim McNally
[email protected]

Posted 29.06.17

Council Van
29th Jun 2017, 11:17
Don Air is adjacent to Dakota Road, the other side of the apron that the former Midland Hangar is on.

Search in Google Maps for Don Air and you will see exactly were they are.

craigy50
21st Feb 2019, 21:52
I used to work with both Adrian and yourself at GT Air Services at EMA on the ramp from 1988 to 1991,good times.
Do you know what airline AM is working for now since Monarch's demise.

Duncan Adams
2nd Apr 2021, 18:22
My dad, Don Adams flew at EMFS in 60-70s,up to failing his medical in late 70s. He was in a plane crash in a twin, 1970-75 ish, and wonder if anyone recalls anything about it. I saw the photos when I was a kid in the 70s,and my dad had a couple of black eyes from it.