PDA

View Full Version : Nppl medical and CAA ref number

horsebox
17th Sep 2007, 19:14
A quick query...

I have a number of NPPL students going through solo stages of training, and as an FI(R) I'm logging the solo sign off's on the instructor form, a column on the form asks for the students CAA ref number...

My understanding is that for a normal PPL the caa issues a reference number after they have visited an AME for their class 2 medical. How does it work for the NPPL folks? Does the GP's declaration somehow find its way to the CAA and in time a ref number is sent out??

timzsta
17th Sep 2007, 19:17
Can sign offs for NPPL be used for the removal of a the restriction from a JAA FI rating. The NPPL is not a JAA license.

Discuss?

Hansard
17th Sep 2007, 19:18
Date of birth is an acceptable substitute if no CAA reference number is available.

xrayalpha
18th Sep 2007, 07:21
NPPL solo sign offs must count, since they are the same as JAR ones! Or are they?

As long as we leave microlights etc out of it, and stick to SSEAs, the student flies the same aircraft, has the same instructor and needs the same airfield (a licenced one).

In fact, right up until they post their licence application, they can decide whether or not they are going for an NPPL or a JAR.

So you could look at it the other way round. It could be a "JAR solo" who then later looks at reclassifying it as an "NPPL solo". Would you redo all your forms then?

Ah, but why would a student reclassify a solo? Well, after going solo, they might lose their medical and need to get an NPPL one.

So, as I see it, the only "NPPL SSEA first solo" would be someone who only had an NPPL medical - since the medical is the "provisional licence".

Presumably, I am a microlight man, your JAR medical is your provisional licence.

Hope that helps the discussion.