PDA

View Full Version : How do you fly...

InfraBoy
17th Sep 2007, 13:33
Having been away from licenced civilian flying for a fair few years I've finally got around to rekindling my love of actually poling the aircraft. So, the question is (since I'm started doing both) who's had a go at the slightly slower forms of flight? I've just started learning to glide - absolutely amazing and thermaling with the birds has to be experienced. And I've just started learning how to fly hot air balloons - an even slower form of flight but as excellent team sport with just as much fun in the retrieve vehicle as in the basket. And yes, the adage of any landing you can walk away from works best!!!

Only problems? Well it's potentially going to get expensive and I have to maintain 3 log books! But when you live next to an airfield with it all available - I've grabbed with both hands!

Why have I asked this? Well I wanted to say hello and welcome myself back to the fold but also put it to you that anyone that hasn't thought it worth going gliding should do.:)

OpenCirrus619
17th Sep 2007, 13:50
One of these (guess where the login came from):
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/andykmoore/100_0095.jpg

and these:
http://www.tigerclub.co.uk/gacdc.gif

OC619

InfraBoy
17th Sep 2007, 13:54
Lovely, I stepped out of a weeks worth of gliding into a Chipmunk and figured that I flew it far better and smoother than I did 13 years ago and that was thanks to the gliding rather than all the powered fixed wing inbetween, you have the best of both worlds Cirrus. Lucky you!

Saab Dastard
17th Sep 2007, 14:46
anyone that hasn't thought it worth going gliding should do

I would simply say that anyone who hasn't gone gliding - should!

I actually started on gliders, then moved to power. But gliding is in many ways much more enjoyable, in terms of the experience and satisfaction. Obviously crap at taking wife and kids from A to B, though!

I've also had a balloon flight, and I can heartily recommend the experience.

Not sure I want to pursue it further however, as it is SO much more weather dependent.

SD

er340790
17th Sep 2007, 14:58
Started powered flight with the CCF and UAS years back. Then when I had to pay for flying, took up gliding for 10 years until I could afford powered flight again. Still reckon glider pilots are among the most accomplished of flyers - must be the lack of the go-around option that focuses the mind wonderfully.

Intend to buy a share in a powered glider ultimately. Here in the wilds of northern Canada it would be almost perfect, second only to my J3 floatplane.

InfraBoy
20th Sep 2007, 14:09
I've flown J3 floatplanes in Florida and excellent fun, there are so many aspects of flying that many don't try - I say try them all!

Having spent 17 years flying powered my brain went into EFATO on my first practice cable brake off a tow-plance in the glider so I was infact turning back for the airfield far too fast!!!

There are a few powered gliders of the type that the engine and prop pops out from inside the fuselage behind the cockpit - but of course they are then classed as SLGs so can't beat up the ridges at zero feet about the tree lines like we do!

All the best to all, if you get the chance - try the £25 trial glider flight option when you next pass a gliding school.

DBisDogOne
21st Sep 2007, 13:46
Just seen this thread, By co-incidence, I'm off to do a weeks gliding course next week. I'm hoping it will sharpen up my normal power flying skills as InfraBoy says. I've only flown sailplanes twice before and am thoroughly looking forward to it.

Oh, and Infra, you're spot on with the EFATO reference and also the lack of go-around option too, I was the same!

dirkdj
21st Sep 2007, 14:02
Opencirrus,
if you are based at EGKE, could you PM me?
Thanks

Rocket2
21st Sep 2007, 14:12
Been gliding 30 + years, powered flying slightly less. Love both as they are so different. I am never happier than when I've got a set of wings on my back, stumbling round the countryside in my trusty SHK or turning a Firefly upside down for the few minutes I can afford, it's all so good & I realise how lucky I am.
Did a tandem freefall jump many years ago, that was fun too but over too quickly :sad:

Lister Noble
21st Sep 2007, 17:50
Love the Tiger Moth reg,you have it all ways!
;);)

looptheloop
23rd Sep 2007, 09:03
I have been lucky enough to fly some wonderful aeroplanes, mainly through meeting terrific pilots who want to share their passion with others. My log book proudly shows flights in a Yak 52, T6/ harvard, Extra 200, Pitts S2A & B, A Robinson R22, Tiger Moths, TravelAir 4000, Chipmunks, a Percival Prentice along with the usual spam cans. Every time I climb out of a plane wthout fail i think i have lost part of my heart to it. I tell people i am writing a Love Story (its my log book). My most recent flight was in a J3 Cub and as usual i drove away from the airfield knowng i was in love!
It doesnt matter what you fly, its how it makes you feel.

MadamBreakneck
23rd Sep 2007, 12:36
I started out as a weekend glider pilot (Swallow & K8 once solo), then after a longish layoff returned to the air via microlights in [one of these] (http://www.abpic.co.uk/results.php?q=chevvron&fields=all&sort=latest&limit=10) then [one of these (http://www.abpic.co.uk/search.php?q=Thruster%20TST%20Mk1&u=type)]
Immense fun :ok:
Though the car is better for AtoB stuff :bored:

larssnowpharter
23rd Sep 2007, 12:53
I learned to fly in the CCF: Kirby Cadet days in 1967. There then followed a flying scholarship and many years in uniform.

To cut a rather long story short, I returned to gliding about 15 yrs ago and have to say that it is one of the most exhilarting forms of flight there is. It is also very demanding if done well.

However, as I recall the club scene in the Uk it need not be expensive in terms of money (time is another matter). Also, you can use a club aircraft or buy or share one of your own. No need to go for the expensive stuff. It's all about 'smiles per mile' and you can have as much fun in a K8 as in a Nimbus 4.