PDA

View Full Version : Red arrows

gcolyer
16th Sep 2007, 17:10
Well today was interesting at Filton. The red Arrows overnighted there, they then took off to Swansea for a show and then came back to Filton to land. On their way back the RT went like this.

Filton App Red Arrows overhead Cardiff for a VFR join.

Red Arrows Filton App runway in use 27 VFR join approved join as you wish

Filton Red Arrows request to overfly airfield and then left and right circuit joins

Red Arrows cleared to overfly the airfield you are also cleared to 6000ft in the zone join as you wish

How annoying is that!!! why cant I get join instructions to join however I want to! and Filton is a noise abatement pain in the arse, and I am fairly sure 9 Red Arrows are a bit more noisey than a PA28.

DX Wombat
16th Sep 2007, 20:51
ATC probably wanted a free display. :E

FlyerFoto
16th Sep 2007, 20:59
Cheeky b*gg*rs!

Mind you, if I'd have stayed at home yesterday I'd have had a free Spitfire display but, no, I had to go out!!!

High Wing Drifter
16th Sep 2007, 22:50
Reminds me of something that Martin Cass wrote in "Pilot in Command" (from memory):

"Why is it that a low flying C150 at 16:55pm is a greater danger to the public than nine vermilion fast jets at 13:20pm. Perhaps it is cultural, either way it is that last dram at the bottom of the glass worthy of contemplation before being swallowed."

Flying Lawyer
17th Sep 2007, 08:27
How annoying is that!!!

It wouldn't annoy me in the slightest.

I suspect DX Wombat is spot on.
I'm sure it gave pleasure to 99.9% of the people who saw them arrive and land.
Good for Filton ATC. :ok:

As for noise, anyone daft enough or mean-minded enough to complain about noise made by the Red Arrows should simply be ignored.

gcolyer
17th Sep 2007, 09:21
Noise is noise in my view. If someobne is stupid enough to live near an airport and complain about a spamcan then they are obviously stupid enough to complain about 9 much louder fast jets.

If they don't complain then all other complaints should be ignored by the airport and council. After all you can't have your cake and eat it!!

S-Works
17th Sep 2007, 09:39
Sound logic....... However the minds of our politicians and the public don't quite work like that.

Just like the average complainer about noise is quite happy to get on a jet and fly away for 2 chavtastic weeks in lanzagrotty and not give a toss about the noise they make on the way out.......

Our world is full of double standards.

coolbeans
19th Sep 2007, 16:56
What happened is the reds had requested an opportunity to practice their display for the following day on return to Filton. That coupled with the fact there wasn't any other traffic at the time allowed them to join however they please.
The free airshow was a complete coincidence :)
Anyway whats worse? The sound of 9 jets blasting through the cct in about 30 seconds, or one lone pa28 dragging its ass up to 1500 feet and taking 7 minutes to do it. :}

*edit*
Frigging noise complaints, bane of my life:mad:

gcolyer
19th Sep 2007, 18:05
That coupled with the fact there wasn't any other traffic at the time allowed them to join however they please.

Well I guess me departing Filton and being by the new 7 bridge and the PA34 and PA28 transitting from Thornbury are not classed as other traffic.
:bored:

DX Wombat
19th Sep 2007, 18:18
The free airshow was a complete coincidence Yers, right, I believe you - I think. Pity there isn't a "Sweet, innocent look" smilie for coolbeans to use. ;) Wish I'd been there to see it. Now, if PA28 x2 and a PA34 don't count as traffic, can I have a free landing in a much-less-likely-to-be-called-traffic C152? Please?

airborne_artist
19th Sep 2007, 20:44
The difference is that taxpayers pay for the Reds, ergo they like to see them. They don't pay for each and every other aircraft in the sky, so unless it's the one taking them on holiday, they don't want to see/hear them.

gcolyer
19th Sep 2007, 20:53
Someone had to mention that the country's populus spend their hard earn cash for some RAF pilots to joy ride some shiny red RAF jet trainers at airshows where the populus have to spend their hard earned cash for a second time to see what they have already paid for!

Must admit they are good though:)

coolbeans
19th Sep 2007, 22:39
Sorry I'll rephrase that as conflicting traffic in the atz, such as ccts, overflights etc..
It was at their request to practice, not saying I didn't enjoy the spectacle though ;)

why cant I get join instructions to join however I want to

Do you ask? In my experience aircraft joining at Filton get a fairly free hand in joining to land (traffic permitting), It's fairly common to get aircraft carrying out overhead joins to practice pfls, sneaky SRA's and suchlike.

Knight Paladin
19th Sep 2007, 23:04
Dry your eyes mate....

NutLoose
19th Sep 2007, 23:21
well doing an overhead join then break into the circuit at 5 second intervals in jets stream you in the correct distances from the jet in front and behind to land.......... count em next time in your head..... standard military join.

:ugh: jeez I need to get out more

coolbeans
20th Sep 2007, 06:56
I dont think we can justify 9 jets doing a low approach and go around into a loop to 6000ft then splitting off into left and right ccts as standard practice, very pretty though.

No noise complaints I know of yet though :)

gcolyer
20th Sep 2007, 08:14
Do you ask? In my experience aircraft joining at Filton get a fairly free hand in joining to land (traffic permitting), It's fairly common to get aircraft carrying out overhead joins to practice pfls, sneaky SRA's and suchlike.

To be honest it will take ages to buzz the airfiled and then climb to 6000ft to then join left and right in a PA28:}

coolbeans
20th Sep 2007, 11:19
To be honest it will take ages to buzz the airfiled and then climb to 6000ft to then join left and right in a PA28

:D

Eurofighters today, sometimes Filtons a pretty good place to work.

gcolyer
20th Sep 2007, 12:55
Eurofighters.....ooooohhhh. Now they are noisy when they do short field take off's and go straight in to vertical climb.

Should let them do an hour of southerly circuits and see if you get any noise complaints:eek:

Flying Lawyer
20th Sep 2007, 15:40
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/grumpyoldman.jpg
******* Red Arrows!!!
Why should they get special treatment?
Who do they think they are .....
..... the RAF Aerobatics Team?!?!!

:)