PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPSMAP 296 and changing map databases

guytje
14th Sep 2007, 21:39
Hi,

I am in the process of buying a portable GPSMAP 296 GPS system in the states, but I will be flying in Europe and East africa the most. I have been searching online to see if it is possible to upload a map of EUROPE/AFRICA (I can purchase these online at garmin.com). In other words, I would like to use my garmin handheld in the US as well as in EUROPE/AFRICA. I am not sure that all the features will be available, but that is not the most important. I just want to be able to use (= upload) the maps I can download from the garmin site.

If this is not a possibility, what would you guys advise me...

This is all a bit new for me, so maybe I am not making sense, but if anyone has any tips, I would be greatly thankful.

Cheers.
Guy

tangovictor
14th Sep 2007, 23:14
in a nut shell, don't, buy a European version, no probs updating and should anything go wrong, garmin are excellent with after sales service,
the minimal amount saved in the US isn't worth it

coodem
16th Sep 2007, 06:41
U cant have both US and US maps on the 296, only 1 at a time. You can change them with a computer. Add £150 for the terrain update and £25 for the base maps (airspace, frequencies, aerodrome info)

You will need to pay for each of those items twice, as you will need a unlock code for each terrain. (even though you already have one preloaded, but you have no idea what the unlock code is) and the same for the base maps

So its better just to buy 2 units or just fly around in the US with your base map, thats what I do, So I dont get any terrain features, I just see one color for the land and another for the sea, along with all the airspace and airfield info.

Most my US flying has been done in Florida, so there is not much terrain to actually worry about

Oldpilot55
16th Sep 2007, 16:44
Plenty of 2000foot masts to bump into in Florida!!