PDA

View Full Version : First solo, should I push myself into it?

digital.poet
12th Sep 2007, 19:08
Hi folks,

Looking for a little advice. My situation is that I have 24 hours logged Pu/t, 11 of those hours in the circuit, with practice in both EFATO and go arounds. My instructor has told me that he is quite happy to sign me off for first solo at any time, infact, he told me today that my skills are at a level where most of his students would be doing second and third solos (1st solo = 1 circuit, 2nd solo 3 circuits with T&Gs, 3rd solo a full hour of solo circuits).

The problem is, I go to the airfield with the intention of 'today is the day', but as my instructor is waiting for me to tell him when I am ready, I am finding it easy to take the easy, safe and less scary option. I am still a little nervous in the air, it is getting much better but a bumpy climb-out has me on edge a little, my turns are still a little shallower than they should be, also due to nerves, and my aileron/rudder co-ordination is not wonderful. However, my circuits are generally tidy, and my instructor says that every landing I have done for the last 3-4 hours has been safe (a few have been less than perfect, but safe). The last 5 or 6 circuits have been performed with my instructor as a passanger mostly, except for the odd comment like, "Tighten this turn", or "Are we in balance?".

So, I am looking for opinions. I am very much aware of the fact that some things represent a 'barrier' and you just have to force yourself through them to move on.

How prepared were you for your first solo? Did you feel completely ready?

High Wing Drifter
12th Sep 2007, 19:33
Well I chickened out of my first offer, citing a wish to practice more EFATOs. In hindsight I think I did the wrong thing for the right reasons! I was easily capable of a solo and my instructor knew it. If your instructor is happy, trust his judgement. Anyway, you will be surprised how a methodical calmness ensues as the training takes hold.

Norfolk Newbie
12th Sep 2007, 19:34
In a word yes! :)

When my instructor sent me on my 1st solo, I wasn't certain that I was ready. However after I had done it, I knew that he was right to send me.

Every new step step in flying seems to take me outside of my "comfort zone", however I have realised that sooner or later you have to take that leap of faith and if my instructor thinks I'm safe then that is good enough for me.

Good luck and enjoy it.

foxmoth
12th Sep 2007, 19:34
How many has this instructor sent solo? Most will not wait until the student says he is ready and most students are taken a bit by surprise when their instructor sends them off.

Contacttower
12th Sep 2007, 19:51
I was never told I was going to go solo, I was doing circuits and the instructor just announced that she would be getting out and that I was to go and do another circuit. It's much better that way. I would go for it.

Stampe
12th Sep 2007, 19:55
I,ve sent hundreds of students first solo over the past 30 years of instructing ,no one has ever let me down.I believe greatly that the human spirit rises to moments such as this.The adrenalin flows for both instructor and student I still get a real buzz from sending a first solo one of the most rewarding parts of instructing.Trust your instructor.:ok:

BEagle
12th Sep 2007, 20:04
".....but as my instructor is waiting for me to tell him when I am ready.."

What an utter tart he must be! He should tell you when you are to go solo!

"I'm just going for a coffee in the tower, so nip off round the circuit on your own and pick me up when you get back. Now - off you go and don't break anything!".

rans6andrew
12th Sep 2007, 20:06
I went and did it before my instructor changed his mind!

Best day of my life, up to that point, a real confidence booster. I am not at my best with anyone looking over my shoulder so being alone in the cockpit actually relaxed me a bit. Add this to the increase in the aircraft performance due to losing 14 stone of CFI and it was magic.

Seriously though, your instructor will have been going over this in his/her mind for long enough to be pretty confident that you can do it.

Andrew.

digital.poet
12th Sep 2007, 20:23
Thanks to everyone for their replies.

To answer about my instructor, very experienced guy, career instructor with 15'000 odd hours. I actually get the impression that he is 'willing me on'. He just doesn't want me to do something that I don't feel ready for.

I have a lesson at 9AM tomorrow morning, I think I will turn up and the airfield and tell my instructor that, for me, the goal of the lesson is to finish with a solo circuit. Pray for me! :)

18greens
12th Sep 2007, 20:32
Beagle (as usual) is right.

You don't get to choose when it happens. The instructor knows when you are ready and sends you. Unless you protest massively (like I don't want to carry on training) you go.

I think you'll find the list of people who thought they were ready is very short.

Just having read your post you say the instructor is very experienced. Has he a new technique or are you saying no every time he offers??

Flying Lawyer
12th Sep 2007, 20:56
BEagle

Maybe a little harsh on the FI? I think dp's first para may explain why the instructor is waiting and urging.
We would have been told to get on with it, in the way you describe, but that's in a different environment.
BTW, did Flt Lt Lane send you on your first solo? I know he was QFI to both of us at some stage.

d.p
Your FI obviously has great experience.
Even if your confidence in your own ability is wavering, you can have confidence in his. He wouldn't send you if he didn't know you were ready and safe.

Go for it tomorrow. :ok:
It will give your confidence a boost.

You're bound to be a little nervous when the the big moment comes - most of us were - but you'll be walking on air for hours afterwards and you'll always remember the thrill of your first solo.

FL

BEagle
12th Sep 2007, 21:03
FL, no - it wasn't Pete. I'd already been solo before he arrived under the somewhat dubious instruction of Jerry Brown.

It sounds as though the 13000 hour FI is getting nervous of the appallingly litigation-obsessed society of today and should retire.

Fledglings should be booted out of the nest without asking why or when! All FIs know that.

So go for it, dp and stop vacillating!!

digital.poet
12th Sep 2007, 21:05
18greens,

I am not sure what he had done when sending other students solo.

He does know that I am a very calculating kind of fellow, but I do think I have a slightly more nervous disposition than most. We had a bit of a discussion, with me giving some reasons as to why I didn't feel ready. The main reason being an awkward tendancy to tense up on the controls in turbulance. I told him that I didn't think it was a good idea for me to go solo until I had curbed this impulse and he agreed with me. It's a good move from my perspective, because I have no problems in refusing to do something I am uncomfortable with. I actually think this is a case of him adapting his teaching style to my personality. Some people like to be pushed forward, but it won't work for me.

I actually like the fact that he has told me, "I am ready when you are!". I don't think I would handle a surpise departure by instructor especially well. I am now just worried that I might let myself get into a rut if I don't bite the proverbial bullet.

alvin-sfc
12th Sep 2007, 21:18
My first solo started with," right, now your'e going to try one on your own now David." I was shaken but thought if my instructor had confidence in me then I must be ready.Like most people,I talked to myself all the way round and on landing felt one small bounce and touched down.Got the usual nonchalent,"oh, how did it go,ok?" from my instructor.
Go for it,you can do it.:ok:

Flying Lawyer
12th Sep 2007, 21:34
BEagle

Heard the name, but he'd either been posted or left the RAF before I arrived. Pete was already there and was the Squadron Adj, which he seemed to enjoy and I doubt if anyone else wanted.

Agree re the curse of the blame and claim culture, btw.

d.p

You've got a lesson at 9 am and you'll be doing your first solo by 9.30.
Go to bed!
Now!

FL

kiwi chick
13th Sep 2007, 04:59
I actually like the fact that he has told me, "I am ready when you are!".

Yeah, sorry, but this doesn't wash with me.

His JOB - the prime reason for his being there and you paying him - is to be your INSTRUCTOR!! Not your mother.

If every instructor waited until his students were ready there'd be no bloody solo students!!

Mine used this technique:

Better make this one a backtrack, I want to see your take-off technique again." Mumble Mumble to Control Tower that I didn't hear, then "Righto. You're too scary for me, I'm getting out! Off you go - one circuit. Pick me up on the way back"

Unexpected, humour to lighten the situation (I admit it wouldn't work for everyone but then instructors are trained to adapt to student's personality and learning style) and he excuded confidence in my ability to do it. :)

I think your instructor should have picked up by now that you are getting further and further away from the conviction that you can do it, and I feel that the longer you leave it, the harder it will be. :{

Get your ass out there and go solo!! You won't regret it and we want to hear all about it! :ok:

Bullethead
13th Sep 2007, 05:23
Kiwi Chick said,

"Get your ass out there and go solo!! You won't regret it and we want to hear all about it!"

and I hear, hear, say go for it mate.

You'll be so thrilled you won't realise you're by yourself until you're on downwind.

Good luck.
BH.

Whirlybird
13th Sep 2007, 08:13
Instructors, like people, differ. And so do students. I would always ask someone if they wanted to go solo, and I know several instructors who do the same. My instructor did that with me for my first solo, and I practically threw him out of the aircraft! I personally don't like this, "you will do this now because I say so" attitude, whether it's for first solo or anything else. And I don't like the big mystique surrounding first solos either, with no-one being told when they're nearly ready, and not daring to ask, and so on. It's not that big a deal; it's just the next part of your flying training.

Your instructor sounds like a nice guy. So have a chat with him, and tell him pretty much what you told us in your first post. That should make him realise that you need a lot of confidence boosting, and maybe a definite shove in the right direction...ie upwards, alone! Instructors aren't psychic you know. Communication helps.

Ultimately I'm not sure that it matters that much. You have 24 hours - very few in the greater scheme of things. You're nervous, OK. So you could do it now, or wait a few more hours until the nerves subside. If they don't...well, then you have a problem. But I don't see that it really matters (except to your bank balance, possibly) whether you go solo at 24 hours or 34. But all the same, talk to your instructor. :ok:

HR200
13th Sep 2007, 10:31
Well Done on getting this level.

You should only go Solo when you feel the YOU are ready.

My instructor surprised me with mine. I had only done 11 hours of flying, and after 1 hour of dual circuits, we landed on the 6th, and he said do you want to go solo for one circuit. I just knew I was ready and I had no doubt in my mind. So I went.

However, it doesn't matter if you go solo at 11 hours, or 50 hours, as long as you are ready.

There will be nothing worse than going solo, not ready, panic and forget things, especially at a bigger airport like Leeds Bradford for example where I fly from.

Enjoy the rest of your flying.

Contacttower
13th Sep 2007, 11:31
You should only go Solo when you feel the YOU are ready.

I'm not sure I would agree with that, with only 10-12 hours one isn't really a very good judge of one's own abilities, the instructor on the other hand has seen hundreds like you- I'd take his word over my feeling, unless of course I really didn't want to go. A lot of people would waste a lot of time and money if they went when they felt ready.

digital.poet
13th Sep 2007, 11:47
Hey folks,

Well, just got back from the airfield.

I woke up this morning, and looked out of the window into thick fog. I wasn't sure I would even fly, let alone go on my first solo, but as I starred at the tree at the end of my garden and saw that it was getting more and more visible, I got some hope back.

Headed to the airfield and was there at 8:50AM, before my instructor arrived, visibility was still pretty bad. I stood outside the front of the flight school and had a ciggy (I know, I know, gotta pack them in!). My instructor turned up and saw me waiting. Apologised for being a little late and asked me if I had done the pre-flight, I hadn't as I usually wait for him incase there has been a change in which aircraft we were using. He told me to go check it out and just as he was heading in, I told him I had been doing some thinking and that I felt ready for the solo. He said he would see how it went, visibility still wasn't great....

I did the preflight, put some oil in and waited for my instructor. He arrived and we hopped in. He said at this point, "Listen, don't get your hopes up about soloing today, vis is pretty poor and I find that if people get fixated on soloing they get distracted and it messes up their flying!", "Fair point, I thought".

We took off on runway 29, very hazy but I was very pleasantly surprise by the smoothness of the air, it was like silk, very unlike the rest of my flights the past 2 weeks. I flew a nice circuit, but struggled to get down on base and final. I added some flaps as I saw we were too high and my instructor remarked, "Good descision!". However, we still weren't sinking fast enough, "What are you going to do now?" says my instructor.... I applied full power, accelerated and climbed away! "Good!!" was the response.

The next landing I did get us down, but it was still pretty high with full flap. As we headed out my instructor got on the radio to request a landing on 11 as he had noticed some smoke from a fire below and it seemed to be blowing in a direction that would make 11 a preferable choice. We did a long turn back from about 1200 feet to land on 11. Much better, easier to maintain a good approach.

However, I thought, "Thats blown the solo!", I had never done any circuits on 11 as every time I had flow circuits the wind had favoured 29. I flew a few circuits left hand on 11, with some problems with converging with the runway and having to rush base leg, but after 2 dodgy ones, I got the hand of it.

After landing my instructor asked how I would feel about doing one on my own, and I told him I could do it! We pulled off the runway and headed back to 11.... my heart started racing! Was I really going to do this? After a few quick instructions and some reminders from my instructor ("Dont get to slow when turning final" etc).... he jumped out. I called "ready for departure"....

Everything was a blur until I was climbing away... "Gotta get back down now".

Incredible climb rate from the aircraft, my instructor is much smaller than me (I am 6'7" and 18 stone), so I had figured that it wouldn't make a great deal of difference.... but it sure did. I found myself a little high on early downwind and paniced a little.... not for long though... "You know how to handle this.... just take off some power!". I got back down to 1000 nicely and called "downwind to land". Started on my checks while keeping an eye out for other traffic. Turned onto base and set up for decent. All going very well.

Then I had a panic moment, I couldn't see the airfield. It was still a little hazy and the airfield from this height and this far out is just like a field amoungst other fields. Then I remembered that the railway runs almost paralell, so I followed that and there was the airfield... "How could I have missed that??" I thought, but I was glad that my head was back together.

Turned final, the turn was a little fast, but I figured it was better that way than too slow. Got lined up and concentrated on my approach, kept looking at the empty seat next to me. "Nobody but me to fix this if it goes wrong!". Got over the threshold, nicely in trim and bang on speed. Flared a touch too early, but dealt with it. Not my best landing, but certainly not my worse.

Pulled of the runway, called "Runway vacated" to a "Roger, and congratulations!".

My instructor marshalled me into the appropriate parking spot. Waited til I had finished shutdown checks, open the door, shook my hand and said, "Welcome to the club!!".

I am not sure how long this grin is going to last!! But I hope a long time!!

I would like to thank everyone in my previous thread for pushing me on and giving me confidence. I was far less stressed that I thought I would be, and I am very very very pleased to be in the P1 club!

maxdrypower
13th Sep 2007, 11:52
well done matey many congrats , keep going now the hard work starts , but you will love every minute
well done

Bahn-Jeaux
13th Sep 2007, 11:55
Congratulations, great feeling isnt it.
Things get better from here, the pressure is off so now you can really enjoy what you are doing without having to worry about that first milestone any more.

PingDit
13th Sep 2007, 11:55
Well done indeed - congratulations!

PingDit
:D

Contacttower
13th Sep 2007, 12:02
Very well done. :ok:

strake
13th Sep 2007, 12:09
Very well done..congratulations and get someone to take a photo of "the grin"..!!
:ok::ok:

DX Wombat
13th Sep 2007, 12:14
:ok: It's a wonderful feeling isn't it? :)

kevmusic
13th Sep 2007, 14:18
Well done, D.P.!! And you're flying from Headcorn, aren't you?!:ok:

julian_storey
13th Sep 2007, 16:26
Good work!

alvin-sfc
13th Sep 2007, 19:00
Well done mate, safe flying.:ok:

Flying Lawyer
13th Sep 2007, 22:12
d.p

It's always regarded as bad form to say 'Told you so.'
So, on behalf of everyone too polite to say so: We told you so!

Really pleased for you. :)
Well done. :ok:

kiwi chick
13th Sep 2007, 23:19
:D :D You DID get your ass out there and do it!! ;)

YAYE TO YOU!

Well done - and may your grin never wear out! (Mine hasn't) :ok:

Whirlybird
14th Sep 2007, 07:04
I'm not polite, and I don't give a damn about bad form....

WE TOLD YOU SO!

And CONGRATULATIONS :D:D:D:D:D:D

Flying Lawyer
14th Sep 2007, 09:02
I'm not polite, and I don't give a damn about bad form....
It was meant as a light-hearted comment, not serious.

Whirlybird
14th Sep 2007, 10:58
FL, so was mine. Forgot the smilie! :):):) (Better late than never)

Norfolk Newbie
14th Sep 2007, 11:02
Congratulations! :ok:

P.Pilcher
14th Sep 2007, 11:43
Well done: but what a time it has taken!
For the benefit of any other pre-solo student reading this, I'll post what I would have if you hadn't made it. With a mere few thousand hours instructing experience, I consider it totally unreasonable for a student to be asked to make a decision as to whether they are ready for first solo! This is purely the instructor's job - how can a student have any idea as to what his instructor may be looking for?
In 1970, my assistant instructor had advised me that he thought I was ready for solo. As an assistant, he couldn't send me so I was put up for a solo check with the CFI of the neighbouring "big" aero club on the field. I cocked up my refresher with my instructor before the big trip - my landings were terrible but the wind stated that I should do them on grass and I wasn't getting the same visual cues that I did on the hard runway. This was decided to be the problem, so off I went for my check with this CFI on the main runway. Three circuits later and we stopped on the runway. I had no idea why, then he said:"Right, I have sat here for three circuits and have not touched the controls. You have flown this aircraft entirely yourself so I am satisfied you can do it on your own. Thus I am sending you on your first solo. Don't forget that without my weight, the aircrat will climb more rapidly than is does with me in it." With that he got out, and 37 years and thousands of hours later, I can still see that empty seat with the neatly tied safety belt on it as I took off and climbed away for the first time ever on my own. Having sent hundreds of first solos myself, it is a "speech" which I always use when I have made the decision.
Now you will have experienced that unique feeling that you get after your own first solo. If you ever become an instructor, you will get it once more - the first time you send one! But I still get a little thrill everytime I send one off as the student lands it on his own for the first time.

P.P.

digital.poet
14th Sep 2007, 13:09
Firstly, thanks to everyone for the heart warming messages of congratulations. I am happy to report that the smile has yet to fade. I also took a ride to the Transair shop at Shoreham yesterday (by car rather than plane unfortunately!) and bought myself a shiny new headset (DC 13.4) to give myself a little reward.

P. Pilcher:

Firstly I want to say that I respect your opinion and your experience, but I don't agree with you and others who say that I shouldn't have been given a say when making this very big step. Yes, it has taken some time, more time than it might have done, but I don't treat training in a potentially dangerous activity as a race. There was a story posted on here about a student on his first solo who was asked by ATC to turn away from the circuit as they handled something else, and who then made some mistakes due to lack of experience and died in a fatal accident. This was not due to lack of training in my opinion, but was due to a unusual request causing him to get flustered with tragic consequences. I have been in the circuit when aircraft have called in rough running engines etc.... and emergencies don't respect first solo students. I wouldn't expect to know how to deal with every situation, but I thought it was important that I was confident enough to take effective action should an unusual situation arise. I am old enough, and wise enough to consider this possibility. Maybe I am too calculating in that respect, but I expect that caluclating nature to, *touch wood*, keep me alive.

Let's be clear, no matter how it is phrased, it is *always* the student's choice to do their first solo flight. It doesn't matter was the FI does, they cannot force the students to take off if they are not sat next to them (nor should they, even if they are). So it makes no difference, because up until yesterday, when I did feel ready, I would have refused any attempt to send me solo by my instructor. I feel lucky that I have a very experienced instructor who would have understood, rather than one who would have refused to continue my training due to my 'non-complience'. Even after all the encouragement I received on this board, I would have refused yesterdays solo if I had not felt ready. I did, I went, and I was reasonably calm and had a great enjoyable experience. If I had been terrified during the whole trip, yesterday would have been my last lesson (could this by why many students get to first solo and then quit?).

My instructor knows that this is a hobby for me, and I am not planning on moving on to commercial flying (at least in the forseeable), and I do not feel the need to impress anyone by telling them I soloed in 8 hours. I would love to be a natural in the airplane, but I am not. Yesterday, I acheieved something huge, something few ever will, I was comfortable, and I am proud. That is all that matters to me.

*edit*

Just a further thought... I keep hearing a saying on aviation forums (including this one)... "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots". Do first solo students get an excemption from this rule?

J.A.F.O.
14th Sep 2007, 14:28
Whatever the rights and wrongs it worked.

Well done and thanks for sharing your first solo circuit with us. I love hearing first solo stories, they always make me smile.

21 years since mine and, even though I've forgotten most of the intervening years, I can still see, hear, smell and feel that first circuit.

Congratulations and welcome to the club where the members (whether or not they know it) are the most fortunate in the world.

Heliport
14th Sep 2007, 15:05
I keep hearing a saying on aviation forums (including this one)... "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots". Do first solo students get an excemption from this rule?

It's a well known saying but, as with most old sayings, there are exceptions - and not just first solo students.

H. (Not bold; old is a matter of opinion. :) )

Saab Dastard
14th Sep 2007, 15:40
Here's my 2p:

If your FI says - "off you go" and you don't feel it's right, then that is your call. That was exactly my situation, before I went solo in a glider. When the instructor said OK, off you go, I just said no thanks, not today.

Next day I went solo, and felt totally on top of it.

I had no problem when I migrated to an aeroplane with an engine, as a result!

But there are 2 different cases here - one is where the FI says go, but the student - for whatever reason - isn't confident. The other (and I assume rarer, from the posts to date) is where the FI waits for the Pu/t to indicate their readiness.

WEll done DP, BTW!

SD

P.Pilcher
14th Sep 2007, 16:27
Digital.poet: I fully take your point and I must admit that a few minutes after making my post, I did realise that I forgot one point that I also intended to make: Throughout my instructing career, I have always looked for solutions to problems some of which were unconventional, but in the circumstances, they worked - after all what would you do when a trial lesson candidate advised you in his preflight brief that he was terrified of flying and for the first time ever he had been persuaded to go on a Spanish holiday. His trial lesson was the only thing he could think of to try and assuage his fears. He certainly didn't get a standard trial lesson, but left looking forward to his holiday. In your case, I cannot make a definite decision as to what would have been the best as I wasn't sitting in the right hand seat. I can only refer to generalities. Your instructor was there, made a decision which eventually had the desired effect which is the most important thing! Welcome to the world of aviation!

P.P.

sternone
15th Sep 2007, 09:26
Well, just got back from the airfield.

Great story, congrats, and do you still have the smile on ?

UncleNobby
15th Sep 2007, 18:48
Congrats, first solo is special!!

The decision to, and execution of, a go around on your approach no doubt influenced your instructors decision to hop out and set you free!!

commanderb
16th Sep 2007, 21:28
You cannot repeat the moment - you will remember it as long as you live - simply enjoy and well done!

Beefy_EMA
17th Sep 2007, 14:55
You cannot repeat the moment - you will remember it as long as you live - simply enjoy and well done! QFT, my solo will always be with me. Well done.:ok:

digital.poet
17th Sep 2007, 16:44
Thanks again for all the replies. A quick update if anyone is interested....

Welll, I just got back from the airfield. Today I completed an hour of solo circuits with T&Gs in two sessions. I had two hours booked with my instructor. The first hour we went up and he did some circuits with me to check I was still 'in the game'. The first landing was horrible.... flared way to early and landed with a jolt and a screetching stall warner.

Next couple were better. So my instructor jumped out and told me to do 4 circuits.

First circuit, again landing was awful, I hit my head on the roof and wondered whether I should just give it up for now, but decided to have another go and judge based on that. I was a little more nervous today than on my first solo because there was 2 other aircraft in the circuit and I was hearing them call downwind around the same time as me, although always behind me. I completed the second circuit and the landing was better to opted to carry on. At this point I heard both of ther two aircraft call for a full stop landing.... was it something I said?

The fourth landing was the best of the 4 so it was nice to finish on an up. I taxied back in and parked up for a short (10 minute) break before starting again.

After the break my instructor came back out with me, he had seen the dark clouds and thought that there was some rain coming. He was right, I did one normal circuit and hit some heavy rain as I turned onto base leg. The approach wasn't much fun, would be nice to have some wipers at that point.

The next circuit my instructor demonstrated a glide approach. This kept us out of the rapidly receding rain on a short downwind leg. After making it look easy, it was my turn. I did a wonderful demonstration on how to :mad: it right up on the first attempt, but the second one was better. The third and I managed a nice safe landing with a glide all the way (the earlier two required power at the end to make it to the threshold).

The rain had cleared from the circuit area so my instructor jumped out and said, "Ok, you are on your own, have fun.... do 6 or 7 circuits, I will see you when you get back!". So off I went.

First circuit was uneventful, but the second take off scared me a little as I shot over to the left immediately after take off. I banked slightly to get back on track but I hated it, I felt too close to the ground to be pissing around with banking. I wondered what had caused the effect.

The approach for this circuit was sloppy, I was way too high. I took full flap and I was coming down, but there was quite a bit of buffeting around and I was really uncomfortable with the high approach angle and all the yawing around. I figured I could probably land it safely (I was starting to lose the extra height) but it just didn't feel safe given some of the mistakes I had been making on regular landing during the day.... I went around.

As I set up for the approach on my third circuit, I suddenly saw the cause of that sudden shift on the first take off. The wind had shifted and there was now a reasonable crosswind from right to left. I mentally kicked myself for not realizing such and obvious thing earlier. The loss of a headwind component would have been a cause of not being able to get down so easily last time around also. I made a mental note that I am supposed to notice these things, and not miss the obvious. This time I landed.... and did something I probably shouldn't have done.... I applied full power and off I went. I think, in honesty, the right call would have been to make this one a full stop. This time though, I was prepared for the drift, and executed a reasonable crosswind takeoff correcting for drift with slight bank and rudder. As I climbed away maintaining a nice straight line down the runway, I felt a touch of pride, but decided enough was enough. I am nowhere near experienced enough to be screwing around in an increasing crosswind, this circuit was going to be a full stop landing.

I managed the landing ok, not great, but ok. I did feel one wheel touch before the other, which was something, but it wasn't so smooth.

I taxied back in, and my instructor greeted me, "Bit more 'fun' this time huh?". "Yes, I didn't notice the crosswind until the third circuit", "Well, you made the right descision to stop when you did, if you hadn't I would have been on the radio calling you in!". I was half expecting to get a ticking off for not stopping on the circuit before. My instructor said that I could have done, and that would have probably have been the right choice, but I made my descision and I handled the conditions well. I smiled.

An hour logged as P1 today! And to think, this time last week, I wondered if I would ever be soloing!

Fake Sealion
17th Sep 2007, 16:47
d-p

Just picked on this thread from last week and want to add my congrats on your first solo.:D:D

Mine was 32 yrs ago at Hamble, and my lasting memory was the rate of climb sans instructor. Come on Ppruners, admit it...we all had sly chuckle to ourselves just after the downwind call.

By the way....at 6' 7" - interested in what a/c you have been flying !!??

digital.poet
17th Sep 2007, 16:55
Fake Sealion (great handle btw!).

Thanks for the congrats.

My school has 2 172's available so I fly those. It's still not completely comfortable, but nothing is, there are not too many cars that I can sit up straight in either. You just adapt after a while. Actually there is a guy who works at the airfield on the A/G radio who is about my height and he will hop in and fly pretty much anything. It is more than a little amusing to see him emerge from a 152, it definately can't be comfortable.

michaelthewannabe
17th Sep 2007, 18:13
Many congratulations on the solo, digital.poet. Your instructor's attitude to soloing was a little unusual, but you clearly sorted it out and did a great job.

After I got first solo done, I went backwards for a while, really not getting things together and having some bad luck with the weather too. Don't be disheartened if that happens - it'll all come together again in no time!

safe landings.

mtw

kiwi chick
17th Sep 2007, 23:04
Let's be clear, no matter how it is phrased, it is *always* the student's choice to do their first solo flight. It doesn't matter was the FI does, they cannot force the students to take off if they are not sat next to them (nor should they, even if they are). So it makes no difference, because up until yesterday, when I did feel ready, I would have refused any attempt to send me solo by my instructor. I feel lucky that I have a very experienced instructor who would have understood, rather than one who would have refused to continue my training due to my 'non-complience'.

I think the vein of this point may have been a missed a little bit here, dp. Those of us who are looking back (some of us waaaaaaaay back :rolleyes:, lol! And I mean in years, not experience BTW) to our first solo, I think, are meaning this:

IF it is left to the student to decide when he/she is ready to go solo, I would GUARANTEE that a vast majority would not. Ever. :ooh:

There are the tragedies, such as the young fellow made to go-round and turn etc, but there are also probably far more involving experienced pilots.

I don't think that any good instructor would suggest a first solo before the student was ready - and I would fully agree that if any student didn't feel ready or comfortable, then by all means don't go.

But I don't think it's right for the instructor to wait for the student to indicate he's ready. :oh:

digital.poet
18th Sep 2007, 00:41
Kiwi Chick,

Fair point. I understand.

Please appreciate though, my instructor didn't just wait for me to tell him I was ready, infact, he told me I was ready and then I told him I wasn't. I think that there are two little gauges, marked 'skill' and 'confidence' and both have to reach a certain point before soloing. My instructor indicated that he believe both were at the required level, but skill is a far easier thing for an instructor to judge than confidence (yes, it really is! I know we can get into, "A good instructor can tell you are confident enough yada yada", but some people, myself included, do a reasonable job of projecting confidence, so that what we are feeling inside, isn't always the same as what we are projecting outside.... for some people, this is their *job*), I wasn't confident enough, I told him this and he told me to tell him when I felt that I was. I actually don't think he would have waited forever.... and if I had gotten to the point I am now and still hadn't soloed, I would be expecting to receive some more nudging in that direction. It was 'grace period' for me to make my mind up, before he did it for me, nothing more.

I am still very nervous about my solo time. It's fun, but in an hour of solo time today I made quite a few mistakes, things I forget, things that even seemed quite dangerous (like suddenly realizing that during turn onto final that speed was getting far too low). There were times when I was definately thinking, "Should I be doing this?".

kevmusic
18th Sep 2007, 16:00
I feel I should step in with DP to the defence of his instructor here. I have uniquely had very many instructors, both civilian and RAF CFS (through the Air Cadets). Some have been good and some bad, but two of these stand head and shoulders over the rest: one was Leigh Hood, of the Air Cadets Central Gliding School and the other was DP's instructor.

He sent me for my 2nd 'first' solo (which was over 10 years after my proper 1st) and there was no question in that he called the shots. Similarly a couple of weeks ago (and with a bit more solo time by now) south of Headcorn practising steep turns and PFLs in the Cub he was telling me how to get back to the airfield using external visual cues and the chart. I thought, "Bejays, he's going to send me out here on my own!" A moment later, he confirmed that and said, "Do you feel ok to come out on your own to do some more of this?" Does a wild man cr@p in the bush?! And then the butterflies started. We went back and had a quick lunch. I didn't have time to get too nervous but boy, I was definitely apprehensive. But the overriding thing was that I thought, "If he's got the confidence in me to do it, then I can do it" And that governed events.

Still full of butterflies I went out, did the checks, started up and went off. The nerves didn't really go until I was taxying out - by then I felt more in charge of myself.

He's a great instructor, for lots of different reasons; and I think he was sensitive to DP's own particular persona and how it may either help or hinder the process.

Kev.