PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 767 Performance

danieloakworth
12th Sep 2007, 09:55
Am looking for advice on B767 Take Off performance. I work at a small airport who are looking to extend their runway with a view to enticing transatlantic services. I've been tasked with the job of producing some performance figures for the 767 to establish what the required TOW would be for transatlantic and how long our runway would need to be to allow the aircraft to take off at that weight.

For commercial reasons, we don't want to talk directly to any operators at this stage (feasibility), however I'm struggling to get hold of any info. Is this a lost cause (i.e. do we have to ask an airline for the info), or is there info available for use.

many thanks.

Dan

Bullethead
12th Sep 2007, 10:13
G'day Dan,

Why don't you ask these guys,

http://boeing.com

They'd know for sure.

Regards,
BH.

enicalyth
12th Sep 2007, 10:39
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/acaps/767.pdf

danieloakworth
13th Sep 2007, 13:17
Excellent, just what I needed, many thanks.

mutt
13th Sep 2007, 15:45
The airport characteristics document is excellent, but remember that it doesnt account for takeoff obstacles nor slope. Considering the amount of money that is involved in extending a runway, it would be sensible to contract a professional company to do the analysis.

Mutt

zerograv
13th Sep 2007, 21:40
Daniel

If it's of any usefulness check the link below in which it is mentioned
a swedish company that does airport performance analysis for several
aircraft types.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59734

Probably you already know this but just in case you're not aware,
a B767-300 Take-off Weigth (Max) is around 185 tonnes. It could
be a case of, additionally to the extension, also needing to reinforce
the existing runway.

Hope that your airport project of extending the runway will go ahead.

Cheers,
Zerograv

OverRun
17th Sep 2007, 08:06
danieloakworth
Stage 1 in the process
At the very early planning stage, you would want at least a clear length of 3100m, being made up of 2500m runway plus 60m strip plus 240m RESAs at each end, plus for the sake of simplicity and erring slightly, a 2% clear takeoff gradient at each end of the 3100m. That will give you slightly constrained widebody operations. In a more perfect world, 3000m of runway is needed. Shoehorning a transatlantic operation into 1800m of runway with, at best, 90m RESAs is going to be a nightmare and shortsighted, but possibly do-able. So check your airport and see if it is really worth proceeding.
Stage 2
Check your existing runway strength. Almost certainly it has to be significantly strengthened (and maybe widened). It is ENORMOUSLY cheaper to close the runway for a few weeks or months and fix the insides of it then to overlay it. The cost of the strengthening and the extension will determine if it is really worth proceeding.
Stage 3 - professional analysis
Follow Mutt's advice, and get the professional performance analysis. This will validate and address the many assumptions and short-cuts in the process above, and it will give you your real options for extension length. The professionals will request the various surveys that the airlines themselves will later request. Then get an engineer to do a prelim design and a QS to cost the work, and the cost/benefit can be worked out to see if the airport can make money.
Stage 4
A visit to the Routes conference anybody?