PDA

View Full Version : Flights to Bahamas from Florida

acuba 290
11th Sep 2007, 19:39
I am thinking somewhere next year to chart a Piper 28 or Cessna 172 in Florida and make some flight to Bahamas. Can somebody advice flying schools with good conditions to chart a plane and experience with Bahamas. I would like to take also safety pilot/instructor for this flight, as i am not so experienced for that.
What about immigration? US visa enought to fly there? I have german passport but my wife will have russian passport with US visa...

Thanx for any help!

421C
11th Sep 2007, 21:32
Earlier this year I rented from Dean International at Tamiami airport for a solo flight to the Bahamas.http://www.flymiami.com/. I chose them because they were helpful over the phone, had nice new C172s at reasonable hire rates, could provide a ground briefing from an instructor on flights to the Bahamas and were willing to rent for a Bahamas solo trip of several days with only a check-out - some schools require 5 hours or have further restricitons.

However, since you want a dual flight I am sure many good schools can accomodate you. Flying to the Bahamas is popular there.

rgds
421C

Wessex Boy
12th Sep 2007, 07:59
Flew as Pax to Bimini and Nassau by Chalk's Mallard, great experience, sitting on Bimini Beach while aircraft was turned round - Best transit lounge in the World!

S-Works
12th Sep 2007, 08:59
I rented a Diamond DA40 (the Lycoming version) from Pelican Aviation at North Perry for the trip. Just did my BFR and they let me go. I do know that there was/is some restriction on P1 time for Insurance reasons and some places insisted on an IR. Pelican were very friendly and I have used them many times.
WWW.pelican-airways.com

Terry & Meg Fensome are very nice Brits.

172driver
12th Sep 2007, 16:34
One detail that might be relevant to you is that from the near future on (don't know exact date), you will have to provide a pax manifest with details to the US authorities if entering the country by private a/c. This has to be provided prior to departure from your last non-US stop. As you'll be flying with an instructor, this should be taken care of, just be aware. Also make sure that your wife has a multiple-entry visa !

acuba 290
12th Sep 2007, 19:23
so it means that Bahamas is not full US territory? i mean why multi US visa?

S-Works
12th Sep 2007, 20:05
The bahamas have never been a US territory.......

Tinstaafl
12th Sep 2007, 20:58
The Bahamas is a different *country*. If you fly there from the US you will leave the US & must enter the Bahamas via an (air)port of entry to clear customs & immigration. When you fly back to the US you will have to clear customs exiting the Bahamas (in practice: Pay the departure tax & get your General Declaration date & time stamped by Bahamian Customs just prior to departure). On arrival into the US via the nearest Customs airport present your GenDec + passport/visa + custom dec. to the Customs & Immigration people.

There is other documentation you will have to have available in case it is asked for ie your pilot licence, medical, radio licence (if separate to the pilot licence), photo ID, aircraft & radio equipment licences & customs tag.

US customs must be notified of your arrival time into the US at least one hour prior to departure. If your ETA prior to departure changes then you must inform US customs. There are phones at all Bahamian ports of entry to do this.

Your wife needs a multiple entry visa because the scenario you gave involves more than a single entry into the US.

B2N2
12th Sep 2007, 22:20
Good website here:

http://www.fly-bahamas.com/

Gipsy Queen
13th Sep 2007, 04:22
"Flew as Pax to Bimini and Nassau by Chalk's Mallard, great experience, sitting on Bimini Beach while aircraft was turned round - Best transit lounge in the World!"

Ah yes, Wessex Boy - it certainly takes some beating. I once was on a flight in which the P2 had to reduce to his underwear and exit a/c into the water to bounce strenuously on starboard wheel in order to get the third green before waddling up the beach. He walked ashore rather than drip his way back to the cockpit. He then had to climb some steps and file the leading edges of the props while drying out! Vented his spleen on an errant jet-ski driver on the way back though!

Chalks ran a wonderful and delightfully informal service. Memories now as the Mallard fleet has been permanently grounded and my friend Paddy has set the DI to 270. He was good fun and a fine pilot. :sad:

alph2z
13th Sep 2007, 05:38
See for some of my flights at http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=aardvark2zz

I rented from KFXE and North Perry; now I prefer the former. No renting experience with Tiamiami or Opa Locka.

Rented from North Perry a few times; once (all on the same flight):
- Fuel leak
- 1 Mag failed when hot; couldn't tell during run-up.
- Only VOR failed over water south of Nassau; at twilight.
- Only COM failed over water south of Nassau; at twilight.
- Couldn't activate my flight plan in the air over water and during twilight :-(
- Used 7600 over water inbound to Nassau ATC.
- Had to call-in North Perry to fly-in replacement C172 at Nassau.

Note, in Bahamas:
- No night VFR (I was refused TO until I confirmed to them that that I would arrive at KFLL during the day).
- Leave Bahamas through customs airport; they check for unpaid fees.
- Make sure you know US FSS frequencies (ones given to me in person by Tiamiami FSS didn't work).
- Make sure you know Bahamian FSS frequencies.
- Activate filed flight plan through Bahamas FSS after TO.
- Know Bahamian 800 and local phone numbers to file flight plan.
- Know US phone 800 and local numbers to file flight plan.
- File a flight plan 1 hr before entering US ADIZ. Should also advise US customs.

- upon entering US ADIZ expect a 12XX transponder code from US FSS.
- 2 seconds later when contacting Miami Center expect a different code.

- I rented an optional life raft (available at Opa Locka; too much driving).
- I now assume 3000 ft ceilings and light rain over water.

- Bimini customs officers wear "cool" gold shades :-D
- Customs officers are really good. But, expect the money laundering questions from the US "how can you afford it?".

- Have ALL your US and Bahamas charts; including good airport diagrams and frequencies.

etc........

Very enjoyable still.