PDA

View Full Version : Flying around Norwich

EGCJFlyer
10th Sep 2007, 08:50
Hi all,

I am currently in the process of re-locating to the Norwich area, probably somewhere just outside the city. Can anyone help me in advising some clubs for rental or maybe even a share for sale in the area. I am currently a 100 hour PPL and fly from Sleap in the Northwest. If anyone could offer any advice, I'd be most grateful.

Kind regards,
Flyer

Cusco
10th Sep 2007, 09:04
We have a share for sale in a very nice Arrow hangared at our own private strip just south of Old Buckenham.

One of our group members lives in Norwich.

PM is you want details.

Cusco;)

Justiciar
10th Sep 2007, 09:11
EGCJFlyer:
Clubs: Big one at Seathing - Waveney Flying Group, you can find them on the internet. Had a bit of a reputation of being a bit "exclusive", perhaps because they have a waiting list and expect time of their members. You will probably have to serve time sweaping the runway before you are allowed to fly!
Otherwise, south of Dereham is Shipdham, where I believe there is a club but don't know about hiring. Further out Further out is the McCauley Flying Group at Little Snoring with a PA28 (I think). Beccles - yes I know its Suffolk! - also hires aircraft, I believe. It is fairly accessible from Norwich.

Old Buckenham is a nice field near Attelborough. They have a number of groups there. I know there is a PA28 Archer/180 there though don't know if they have shares available. I don't think that the flying school rent out aircraft, but give them a ring.

You can also try the flying schools at Norwich Airport, such as Anglian Air Centre, who certainly hire out aircraft: Warrior and C150, though these are also used for training, so can't say what availability is.
If you are after a group, there are at least two PA28 groups at Norwich, one of which is mine! If you have tailwheel time I can put you in touch with the Chipmunk group which flies from Felthorpe a few miles NW of Norwich, or a Cub group from Priory Farm, in South Norfolk.
PM me if you need to know more. May also know of aircraft for sale if that is the direction you want to go.

Wessex Boy
10th Sep 2007, 11:31
There is also a share in a PA22 Colt at a private strip just south of old Buck, very good value flying!

EGCJFlyer
13th Sep 2007, 10:58
Guys, many thanks for the responses. I will pm shortly re. the shares available for sale. Hopefully see you flying around the Norfolk area soon.

EGCJ :)

Zulu Alpha
13th Sep 2007, 13:02
Which side of Norwich are you going to be? There are quite a few public airfields around and also a lot of private ones with 2-5 aircraft. Seathing is spelt Seething, Priory Farm, Old Buckenham, are worth dropping into, but there are many others and shares are quite available when you know where you will be based and what you want.

SkyHawk-N
13th Sep 2007, 13:14
I am currently in the process of re-locating to the Norwich area

You have my sympathy! ;)

EGCJFlyer
18th Sep 2007, 12:50
Hi guys, a bit more definite now and moving to the countryside (not difficult in Norfolk) nearest place being Swanton Morley.. Norwich airport is handy but I'm looking for any local jewels that are maybe not so well advertised....

Cheers :-)

houseofraaaa
18th Sep 2007, 12:59
Seething is a little unfriendly.

Cusco
18th Sep 2007, 15:55
There is a small strip at Swanton Morley(the old grass field has had hay bales on it for ages.)

Also a flying club at Shipdham just down the road: Our a/c is not allowed in there as runway surface eats props.............

Then of course there's LKI................

Safe flying

Cusco;);)

Arclite01
19th Sep 2007, 05:18
Shipdham is a bit rough but not too bad.

Was not aware of anything still at Swanton Morley - thought the strip operation closed a couple of years back

There's Holly Hill Farm at Guist (not sure if he accepts visitors though)

Arc

stiknruda
19th Sep 2007, 18:38
[quote]Seething is a little unfriendly.[quote/]
Are you sure that you visited the one in Norfolk? Top place, excellent people.
And no, I'm not a member just an occasional vistor and purchaser of motion-lotion!

niknak
19th Sep 2007, 23:43
Seething unfriendly?
I think not.

They may have internal politics, but ultimately it's a members airfield operated by a committee appointed by the members.
Said committee runs the airfield in the best interests of everyone, does all the work and gets all the flack.

Personally, I reckon Seething offers value for money in terms of a well run and relaxed environment.

That said, if you can afford to operate from Norwich Airport (and their are plenty of operators with hangerage) you are more than welcome!