PDA

View Full Version : JAA aircraft categories

Cubs2jets
6th Sep 2007, 20:53
Is there a JAA aircraft category that has a maximum gross takeoff weight (mass) of 600KG? I'm thrashing about trying to see if there is a JAA regulation "set" from which the U.S. Light Sport Aircraft (LSA) was derived.

What are the JAA aircraft catagories and their definitions i.e. microlight, light aircraft, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Cubs2jets

dublinpilot
6th Sep 2007, 21:15
Not as far as I know. And I'd be surprised if the FAA looked to JAA for guidance!

The closest category is probably VLA (Very Light Aircraft) which has a 750kg weight limit.

dp

Brooklands
7th Sep 2007, 12:55
C2J,
Two of the criteria for 2 seat microlights (in the UK at least) are a MAUW 450Kg and a max stall speed of around 35Kts (I can't remember the exact number though). In the UK the PFA (and maybe the BMAA) also have a maximum empty weight allowed for microlights based on a sensible weight for the crew (~85Kg each IIRC) and one hours fuel.

As DublinPilot pointed out there's the VLA category where the main criteria are 750Kg MAUW and a max stall speed.

I don't think that there's a specific definition of a 'light aircraft'.

There's no JAA equivalent of the FAA LSA category (600Kg, max clean stall 45Kts), at least not at the moment, although EASA are supposed to be working on something

Brooklands

seeyoujimmy
9th Sep 2007, 11:06
i agree with that one.

Baron Von Mildred
11th Sep 2007, 15:33
I came across a pilot with a JAR (Swedish) license with ultralight rating. Not quite sure where that fits in.

Rod1
11th Sep 2007, 17:56
Ultralight = Microlight in the UK.

Rod1

Baron Von Mildred
13th Sep 2007, 10:28
Yes, but the point is that anyone training on one in the UK can't get a JAR license, because according to the CAA a microlight is not a JAR aircraft, hence the issue of NPPLs. Its not even currently possible to get a microlight rating on a CAA/JAR license, although these were being issued a few years ago.