PDA

View Full Version : GPS/IRS based low visilbilty solutions?

YakYak
1st Nov 2001, 16:06
Following the LIN disaster, a thought has occurred that I'd like to encourage a discussion on.

Many modern and inexpensive cars these days have onboard GPS navigation equipment, with voice prompts for impending turns, and other directional guidance.
Since many transport aircraft have GPS or inertial navigation equipment, why not modify it to provide taxi assistance as a part of EFIS/EICAS perahps, in the same way?

A current database of world airports and associated taxiways is easilly achieved, and after landing or indeed before takeoff, the desired taxiing route could be entered by the crew, or perhaps linked to the equipment automatically from the ground (for the near future, perhaps?), thereby completely removing taxi confusion.

I think this would be a major aid for even familiar pilots at complex airports in all kinds of visibility, but the advantages in lowviz are obvious.

I'm tired of people pointing the finger of blame following dreadful accidents like at LIN. Lets combine our efforts and experience and do something POSITIVE about it.

Comments and suggestions please, fellow airline professionals? Over to you..........