PDA

View Full Version : Pilots aged 80 years plus

fireflybob
5th Sep 2007, 14:31
Recently our insurers have advised us that pilot members aged 80 years or greater will be subject to an excess of £1,000 (instead of £500) and that in the event of a claim we will lose the whole of our no claims discount.

I would be interested to hear whether any other organisations have had any similar conditions applied and also any comments concerning pilots aged 80 years old or greater!

flybymike
5th Sep 2007, 23:32
Most insurers seem to start imposing special conditions at age 75., so to hear of one who doesn't start until the age of 80 is good news even in these supposedly anti age discrimination times. As far as I am concerned, if you are not Gaga and can pass the medical or NPPL sign off then fly till you drop. God willing I intend to myself.....

BristolScout
6th Sep 2007, 08:12
There is currently a move within Parliament to make discrimination on the basis of age illegal. It may not stop insurers in their tracks, but it may help a little. Do they have actuarial evidence of ancient aviators being more accident prone or are they just using motoring statistics? They obviously never met Hector Taylor and his contemporaries who proved that 80 is the new 50 many moons ago.

P.Pilcher
6th Sep 2007, 08:35
R.i.p.

P.p.

BigEndBob
6th Sep 2007, 20:22
Had an old boy wander in today, asked
"I'm interested in learning to fly, how much will it cost",
we replied as he leaned towards us with his good ear, "about six thousand pounds"
he replied, "60, no i'm 83!" i thought thats a good start??

BigEndBob
6th Sep 2007, 20:27
I remember some years ago flying with a chap, ex RAF WWII, plus civvy stuff since, had a break from flying was asked to check him out. Was pushing 70's, was embarrassing to fly with him, sometimes you should just retire gracefully.
Still got his instructors ticket back, don't know how?

flybymike
6th Sep 2007, 22:45
On the other hand the notable test pilot Scott Crossfield was still actively flying at the age of 85 when he lost control of a Cessna 210 in a thunderstorm earlier this year. At least he died doing what he loved and was still doing it and doing it well, at a ripe old age.