View Full Version : Air Berlin - Good, Bad or Ugly?

LAVDUMPER
17th Apr 2001, 00:50
I noted on Air Berlin's website (very well done by the way) that it is looking for 737-400/800 air crews due to its "expansion."

I know there are a few Air Berlin pilots who frequent this forum. For those in the "know," I have the following questions:

1. What is your general opinion of Air Berlin? Good, Bad or Ugly?

2. What are the schedules like? Variety of routes? Maybe give example of routings...

3. How do you like the newer 737-800 vs. the older 737-400?

4. Are there many non-German pilots?

Vielen dank for the info.

Tscheuss (spelling?)

Stall4All
17th Apr 2001, 16:56
Air berlin is an operator who gets the most out of their pilots, meaning flying 1000hrs per year(yes its possible). The pay is about 5000DM per month(just basic salary). They are one of germanies largest charter 737 operators.
You will need a german ATPL(because they are not JAA yet). This is (for a foreign license holder) very hard to get. You need a job first for a conversion and to apply you need a license first. Thus NO GO!!!!! But you can try LufthansaCityline, they have the possibility of applying without a german license. And offcourse all german aperators want you to speak fluent german.

I just recently spoke to Mr.Kulbe(AirBerlin). They don't need any pilots right now. But that can change quickly offcourse.

Good Luck

Grtz Stall

Reimers
17th Apr 2001, 23:28
Air Berlin together with Germania is one of the few German airlines that don't want anything to do with the VC (German ALPA).

They don't pay for the rating if the job situation is such that pilots are willing to pay for it.

Flapextender
8th Jul 2002, 23:25
You like to work in an Airline? Donīt go. :eek:

ArcticCircle
11th Jul 2002, 12:57
Guys and gals,

LAVDUMPER is not looking for a pilot job. Why?, b`cause he is not a pilot (as far as I can remember from other postings). He is only fishing for infos about this and everything:p

bTk
12th Jul 2002, 09:23
Hi Guys,

the question is to have a job or not. If u have the choice to start your carreer go and start it.

If u are longer in business u will know that every cat might be grey in the night.[And u know as well that there is no perfect babe] :)

If u are newbie just try to get hired, because u will get money for flying.

so long

bTk
[sometimes fly for food]

Strain Guage
16th Jul 2002, 18:30
I worked for AB--never been so bloody tired in all my life. The crews were great though--a real sense of comradery and fun; keep in mind, this is definitely not the type of employer you want to work for long term (unless you enjoy feeling exploited).

Get your experience, accrue some quick flight time (1,000 hrs a year when I was there) and apply someplace halfway civilized (i.e. in Luxembourg).

Stall4All2
20th Jul 2002, 11:15
No this is a very old topic.

I fly for AB, and things have changed ALOT the last few years. We are only in dorint or other 4/5star hotels. We only fly about 850 hrs a year. We have enough cockpit personell.
This moth i'll have about 90 hrs, which isnt bad for summer. We have good management and high cockpit and cabin moral. AB is now a real airline and can't afford jacking around.

Like i said the AB you are all talking about is not there anymore.

Grtz Stall

Denti
20th Jul 2002, 21:17
Stall4all, just a question. A friend of mine, who is flying for Air Berlin for about 2 years now (he was in my course at lft) told me last october that he had only 30 hours left for the rest of the year (he had flown 970 so far) and that during his most busiest months he flew about 140 hours. Is that not true? They pay was great though, i earn a lot less, but i fly about 600 to 700 hours a year, so that is okay (but we got a 28% payrise this year, thanks to VC and our TK).

Denti

Stall4All2
31st Jul 2002, 19:09
For last year that could be correct(900/1000 hrs). This year i will make no more then 800 i guess, if things don't pick up.

But hey, I am not complaning, 800 is enough for me:-)

Grtz Stall

Brenoch
1st Aug 2002, 00:40
Air Berlin together with Germania is one of the few German airlines that don't want anything to do with the VC (German ALPA).

This I find interesting since TUI now bought Germania.. Anyone with a buisness-sence greather than that of an arse realizes that Hapag Lloyd is going to be slaughtered..

Who want's two airlines in the same country especially if one is incomparably cheaper..

It's not rocket-science, it's common sense..

Stall4All2
2nd Aug 2002, 11:28
Tui hasn't bought Germania!

Grtz Stall