PDA

View Full Version : To be a UK Instructor - Key steps??

d192049d
5th Sep 2007, 13:00
Dear All,

I am having a mid life crisis [is 43 midlife??] and and would like to understand the key steps to becoming an instructor here in the UK.

My intention would be to qualify and make a career of it, so I need to make sure that any investment is focussed on obtaining the most sort after qualifications.

Currently I have a JAA PPL [A] with 156 Hours total time and 86 hours P1, with no additional ratings or endorsement and live in South Staffordshire.

Thanks in advance.

Rgds

M

Pieman007
5th Sep 2007, 13:31
Presently, you need an FI rating to be able to teach people (£6k) and a Commercial license (£5k ish) to be paid for it. I think plans are a foot to scrap the CPL requirement due to a lack of Instructors nation wide so you might want to research that thoroughly before taking up the CPL.
If you want to make a career out of it then you would probably need the CPL ME/IR anyway as you can only teach a student a course that you have been through yourself, then teach at a commercial school, but only after you are unrestricted and meet the requirements.
Lasors07 will describe what you need much better than I can. A word of warning though, PPL instruction doesnt pay that well unless you get to DepCFI,CFI or CPL IR level.
Good luck with it all.

d192049d
5th Sep 2007, 14:15
Thanks both for your responses.

The more the merrier....

Pieman007
5th Sep 2007, 15:47
This thread might help you out also.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=286234

If I remember correctly you need 200hrs TT and 150PIC if holding a PPL, to start a FI course, so bear that in mind also.

BristolScout
6th Sep 2007, 08:20
Firstly, 43 definitely isn't mid-life. I define middle-age as someone a few years older than me and it's working well. On a more serious note, at this age most people have family commitments and responsibilities so it's important to have sufficient financial security to take you through the early phases as restricted and basic instructor where, as previously mentioned, the remuneration is risible and your outlay to get the rating is significant.

If you can handle this, and the fact that, even at senior instructor level, the pay is relatively modest, then go for it. It is a wonderfully rewarding job. I've done my time in the RAF and the airlines and instructing is still what I enjoy most.:ok:

VNA Lotus
6th Sep 2007, 17:46
Hello everyone!

Well, i have a just a few questions about the FI in UK.

When I read, there was a shortage of Fi, do you mean in the FTO or clubs ?

Do the FTO recrute FI with 250 hours, well just after a CPL/IR ?

Is it possible to do a FI course if with a JAR CPL/IR issued by french DGAC ?

Thanks

helimutt
6th Sep 2007, 21:38
Download a copy of Lasors 2007, from CAA website. It's free and tells you all you need to know. And...get a new copy every year for nothing too. Great to have on your desktop.

VNA Lotus
7th Sep 2007, 15:11
Thanks Helimutt!

I wonder one thing, is it possible to work as an FI just in summer and do an other job others months and come back the next summer ?
I mean do you have to work for a club all the year ? (not for a FTO b'cause I guess it is for the whole year)

I hope you understood what I meant.

Pieman007
7th Sep 2007, 15:16
No guarantees you will get a job at your old school because things change fast in aviation. If you are up front with your plans with the school I am sure they would appreciate that and would want you back anyway.

VNA Lotus
7th Sep 2007, 16:16
Thanks, well, because my plan is to work in summer in England and come back in France after.
In fact I am interested to do FI to improve a little more my english and increase my hours.
So I hope that my english will not be an issue... I mean I have a french accent :)

VFE
9th Sep 2007, 18:53
You won't earn much money being a flying instructor.

VFE.

NB: Quality contribution there eh?! :}

VNA Lotus
9th Sep 2007, 19:46
So, i guess; all of you get a second job ??

rightbank
9th Sep 2007, 20:13
A lot of clubs are happy with one or two summer only instructors as that is their busy time. If they are happy with you after your first summer, they will probably invite you back for the next.

VNA Lotus
9th Sep 2007, 20:21
Thank you rightbank for your reply!
And yes i think so.
I've just wanted to know if a few clubs recruited instructors just for the summer... and I see that's possible. :)