PDA

View Full Version : Frozen ATPL - Licence Renewal Advice

vloft
5th Sep 2007, 10:35
My licence is up for renewal next year, but it's a bit complicated. I got a Frozen ATPL in March 1998, and a jet type rating in Aug 1999, but got chopped in line training and basically stopped flying in June 2000. Have not renewed medicals etc with a total no of hrs about 350.

Due to change in circumstances I am now considering taking up flying again possibly with a view to securing a FO position.

The question is do I have to resit the ATPL exams again and what flying instruction / tests would I have to undertake, to be in a position to:

a) Have my licence renewed
b) To be in a position to be considered for a FO position.

Any advice most gratefully recieved. Thanks

smithgd
5th Sep 2007, 12:17
I seem to recall that after 7 years you would need to resit the ATPL exams and also do an IR skill test with a CAA examiner, (obviously you will need to do some training first).

Not sure about the medical. The CPL licence can be renewed once you have the medical and ratings back, I think.

Best to talk to the local schools and or the CAA.

good luck
smithgd

A Very Civil Pilot
5th Sep 2007, 19:19
As a general rule, 5 years seems to be the cutoff point for it being easier/harder to get back into aviation.

Don't let that put you off.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
9th Sep 2007, 12:46
If you have a 'valid' IR (<7yrs expired), then you keep your UK ATPL credits. I have just asked the CAA the same question.

Sounds like you need to re-sit the ATPLs:{