PDA

View Full Version : Steve Fossett missing - Final NTSB Report

Pages : 1 [2]

jammydonut
11th Jul 2009, 12:46
Having the ability to pay for the toys doesn't mean you know how to play with them

englishal
11th Jul 2009, 12:58
I was flying in that general area a month or so ago, and the turbulence was pretty bad. One minute we'd be going up at 1250 fpm with no throttle on, trying to maintain < Va, the next we'd be coming down at 800 fpm at full power with the stall warner chirping away...8500', DA40-180.

Barkly1992
11th Jul 2009, 13:12
SNS3Guppy

"Frequently within 15 feet to 100 feet of the terrain, "

In a helicopter I hope.

What were you doing this close to the ground?

LH2
11th Jul 2009, 14:23
"Frequently within 15 feet to 100 feet of the terrain, "

In a helicopter I hope.

What were you doing this close to the ground?

Mountain flying, probably leisure, or airborne geophysics, or maybe firefighting, or SAR, or military.

Note that the terrain clearances mentioned could equally be vertical or lateral. E.g., One (and perhaps the only) way to cross a col might be to catch rising air flowing next to the slope (orographic or anabatic lift). Also, if you think you might need to do a 180, you get as close to one side of the valley as possible (the downwind side usually) in order to leave as much room as you can towards the turning side.

btw, I concur with the spirit of SNS3G's last paragraph in his previous post, as mountain flying is an entirely different discipline compared to "normal" flying. It's a bit like questioning what was a seaplane pilot doing so close to the water, or what was an aerobatics pilot doing flying inverted.

Fuji Abound
11th Jul 2009, 14:54
That might all be so except for the mention of much of it being in light aircraft .. .. .. not the best vehicle for the purposes you mention, notwithstanding the 15 foot of terrain clearance.

I think the gentlemen erm enjoys a little exaggeration shall we say.

Still always enjoy his posts. :)