PDA

View Full Version : Flying and Patter

Epic_mg
3rd Sep 2007, 17:49
Hey all,

Im halfway through an FIC course and still having problems combining accurate flying and the correct patter even though I have a CPL/MEP.
PFL's especially have been somewhat interesting along with various other exercises.
If anyone's had a similar experience and has any useful advice on the FI course I would appreciate a post reply or PM.

Many thanks,

Epic

pulse1
3rd Sep 2007, 20:39
As no-one else has yet answered you Epic, I had a similar problem when I was training as a gliding instructor, where every landing is a PFL. I could fly OK but could not talk and fly at the same time.

I was helped to get over this problem by an instructor making me chat throughout the flight. It didn't matter what I talked about, it could be commenting on the view, telling a joke or anything. It was amazing how quickly this helped me to introduce patter which itself helped me to fly more disciplined approaches.

Nimrod615
4th Sep 2007, 00:25
Good advice.
Been a gliding instructor myself, and driving instructor, and now flight instructor. Don't suppose you can get some cheap flying cos if you can just do a running commentry, out loud(that bit's important), of every thought you are having.
If you can't get the extra flying then do it in your car. The important thing is do it out loud. Don't practise patter in your head, that's what we're all doing when we fly. You need to train your gob to keep up with your hands and feet. Eventually your mouth will second guess your next move which studes catch on to alot easier too.
"When I move the control column to the left the aircraft will roll to the left....."....start moving c/c here..."...and will continue to roll until......."
Try and say it before you do it....see what I mean???
Experience is the key. You will get there. Have fun doing it!
Let us know how it goes
Nim

Whirlybird
4th Sep 2007, 06:54
Practice, practice, practice...eventually it gets easier.

athonite
4th Sep 2007, 07:27
There is a book called the flying instructor patter manual, by Cole(i think) which might help, from what I remember the patter was in a 'military format'.

On the other hand you could write down the important key points and write your own script. Then keep practising it, when you have a spare moment, or while you are driving your car.

I'm suprised no one has never produced a instructors patter casette or CD, ideal for use in your car.

Kanu
4th Sep 2007, 12:42
I still find it tricky to patter through a spin:O, damn those things!:*

athonite
4th Sep 2007, 20:27
Well the spin is probably easy:

You just call out the actions!

gimmesumvalium
4th Sep 2007, 22:57
Had the same prob coordinating the slow roll with my mouth.......(or was it vice-versa?) (BRAKE FADE AGAIN!!)

Duchess_Driver
5th Sep 2007, 06:51
Robert Cole & Peter Phillips. Bought it, never used it!

One guy I know had the exercises on tape - my problem was that I no longer had a tape in the car. Great idea though.

My problem with spins was getting the patter to match the actions! What fun!

As others have said, practice wherever you can - out loud. Move your hands and feet at the same time as if you were touching the controls.

Also, remember to personalise your patter - You will retard the trottle. Then you hold the attitude..... When you move the control column.

BristolScout
6th Sep 2007, 13:21
Do as the police do on the advance driving courses. When in your car, talk the journey, noting every road sign, bend and incline in the road, light and weather conditions, speed, gear changes etc. Talk clearly as if to someone in the car with you, but I suggest you do it when you're on your own, otherwise your nearest and dearest may summon the men in white coats. It's something I used to advise all my FI students to do and almost all found it useful.

EladElap
9th Sep 2007, 09:11
Pattering a student whilst flying accuratly, is something that you can only achieve with practise. When I completed my initial instructors a year or two ago, I still didn't have it nailed totally.

One thing that helps is when you develop your own patter, so that you aren't trying to recite and remember something. Now days, with a fair bit of experience behind me, when I fly solo, I still find myself talking constantly about what I'm doing in the air. Even for IF renewals or conversions, you will end up pattering through the person testing you, which I thing always comes across well, they then will be aware of your procedures and accuracy of flying. For example if you are 100 foot low in straight and level, and you point it out as part of your patter, then you'll find the examiner is far less likely to penalise you because they are aware you know that you are low for example.

Anyways, it's a tricky skill, but once you've mastered it, it becomes second nature. Best idea, take a mate up with you, someone you are comfortable around and not worried you are going to screw up around, and patter him through some of the upper airwork. Effects of controls, S & L, climbing descending etc.

All the best and good luck with the instruction, I'm sure you're going to love it! :ok::ok: