PDA

View Full Version : Tom 757 Diverts After Burning Smell In Cockpit

BYALPHAINDIA
1st Sep 2007, 20:49
A TOM 757 NCL - GER Diverted this afternoon to MAN, After reporting a smell of 'Burning' in the Cockpit!

GBYAI Ironically, Also reported a strong smell of 'Burning Birds.:uhoh:

I have just read the other incident yesterday about GBYAP!

Birds seem to like TOMFLY aircraft colours!:ugh:

BYAI.:ok:

alert
2nd Sep 2007, 14:35
NCL-GER ?

A 757 would be hard pressed to fly from Newcastle, UK to Nueva Gerona, Cuba. Thomsonfly do sometimes fly to Cuba but they use B767's into VRA.

Do you mean GRO? Gerona, Spain (or as Ryanair call it Barcelona).

db16
2nd Sep 2007, 14:40
TOM would be better understood if they had stayed Britannia!

rjay259
2nd Sep 2007, 20:26
Sorry db16, not quite sure what you mean by that?

Thomson has become one of the best recognised brands in the uk.

If you can explain a little more would be very greatful.

I think it was going to GRO, and as the 757 across the world is a decreasing fleet there will always be some issues as there are in any aircraft.
anyway good evening all

259:cool:

MD11Engineer
2nd Sep 2007, 20:32
We had a 757-200F once where an avionics cooling fan was giving up it's ghost. It was still rotating, but had an almost seized bearing and was thus overheating and blowing the smoke right into the flight deck. No cockpit indications except for the smoke.

haughtney1
2nd Sep 2007, 21:05
We had a 757-200F once where an avionics cooling fan was giving up it's ghost. It was still rotating, but had an almost seized bearing and was thus overheating and blowing the smoke right into the flight deck. No cockpit indications except for the smoke.

Its a pretty well understood 757ism....:ok: particularly by those who operate older specimens.

fireflybob
3rd Sep 2007, 16:01
We were following a Tom on the way down to Faro on Friday morning, and it diverted to Santander on a Pan call because of smoke in the cabin - bad couple of days for Thomsonfly by the sound of it!

Depends how you look at it - I say well done to the crews that dealt so professionally with these in flight events - a tribute to their skill and training.

BYALPHAINDIA
3rd Sep 2007, 23:19
I have also heard about a MON aircraft? that had an emergency also I think it was BHX?

Regards.

A Very Civil Pilot
4th Sep 2007, 17:53
Map shift

Santiago (LEST) actually, but yes it was still a diversion.

LNAV
7th Sep 2007, 23:45
RE above Britannia Airways was an established named for 40 years, Thomsonfly is still Thomson who.......?