PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from FI(R) - questions.

Whirlybird
1st Sep 2007, 15:35
It looks like I'm finally going to have enough solo sign-offs to become an unrestricted FI. Does anyone know how long it'll take to get it in my licence if I send the paperwork to the CAA? And if I manage to get down there, will I be able to get it done over the counter on the same day? And how much does it cost (yes, I know I could look this up, but I'm lazy)?

This is a helicopter FI rating, but I don't suppose the timescales and costs are all that different from f/w - anyone know?

aztec25
1st Sep 2007, 17:47
The CAA will issue ratings (and instructor restriction removals) over their very expensive counter but not licences.
Great value for £78!!
Well done.

Duchess_Driver
1st Sep 2007, 20:47
But at least the CAA now have a 'Deli Counter' system - you pull a number when you first get there then go have breakfast in the cafe. Not bad value (the cafe, not the £78!) You can then get back to the FCL counter at 0900 and not be queue jumped.

I was in and out by 0930 with mine.

Whirlybird
2nd Sep 2007, 08:56
Duchess Driver,

Sounds good! What time did you get there to manage that?

And if I can't find time to get down there (involves an overnight stay or leaving in the middle of the night from the wilds of Derbyshire), does anyone know how long it will take if I send everything (if the Post Office doesn't lose my log books!)?

combineharvester
2nd Sep 2007, 10:45
When i did my de-restriction the "deli counter" only did same day service until 12 o clock, so bear that in mind!

helimutt
6th Sep 2007, 10:31
get there by 7.45 or you could find yourself at the back of the queue!:ok:

Whirlybird
17th Sep 2007, 16:54
Drove to London yesterday evening and stayed with a friend. Got up at 4.30 am and arrived at the Belgrano at 7.20. I was No 4, and was out of there, £78 poorer and with a new printed sheet for my licence, by 10.15...and back in Derbyshire by mid-afternoon.

So thanks for the advice, everyone. It was a long day, but much better than entrusting my log books to the post and waiting for weeks.

And after over 4 years and well over 300 instructing hours, I'm finally an unrestricted FI. :ok: