PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Fly 757-200 diversion

TooL8
31st Aug 2007, 20:14
BBC News reporting a Thomson Fly 757-200 diverting to East Mids after developing a "problem with a font wheel".

All OK.

Link to site here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6973035.stm

bjkeates
31st Aug 2007, 20:37
ARGH! :eek: One of my little pet hates... it's Thomsonfly (no 'p'!!) [edit: original post has now been edited!]

Sounds like a bit of a non-event to me, hardly worthy of a page on BBC News. Anyone know what the problem with the wheel was?

Avman
31st Aug 2007, 21:01
Wrong set of wheels. It was fitted with a Courier New set instead of a Times New Roman set. It happens!

Rhino power
31st Aug 2007, 22:36
G-BYAP blew the port inner rear tyre on/or after departure from Doncaster, landed at EMA after burning off fuel for an hour or so, damage to the tyre was quite obvious during the landing roll-out.

Regards, RP

ChristiaanJ
31st Aug 2007, 22:49
From the BBC item:... fire crews foamed down the runway as part of standard proceduresI thought that went out with the Dodo?

Chilli Monster
31st Aug 2007, 22:54
It did

Foam was put down on a fuel leak after the aircraft vacated the runway.

All textbook, no great surprises, ops normal after 30 minutes.

blue up
1st Sep 2007, 07:39
Bit of troub with 757 nosewheel tie bolts in recent times. How many have been lost from the wheel hubs so far?
Luton eng-type chap was saying that the tyre changers stopped refitting used (serviceable) bolts when they change tyres due to unexpected bolt failures.

Mr @ Spotty M
1st Sep 2007, 08:34
"blue up" l think your info is a little suspect on the tie bolts.
The tyre changer as you put is contracted out to one of the tyre manufactures l believe, as it is at a lot of airlines these days due to cost.
If you replaced the tie bolts at every cover change it would cost hundreds of thousands of pounds, dollars or euro's a year per fleet.
However a lot of airlines are looking into the problems of tie bolt failures that have increased all over the world, with help from Boeing and the wheel manufactures.

blue up
2nd Sep 2007, 11:24
Spotty. If I got it correctly from the Eng, Tie bolts are being replaced with new for a short while whilst the prob is being looked into more deeply. I (We?) at TOM have been asked to keep an eye out for missing rim bolts. I haven't seen any yet. (but I know a man...)

Incidentally, Mr Carrol Smith has written a great book on Nuts, Bolts & Fasteners that contains some good tech background info on aerospace hardware. Great for getting off to sleep before a night flight!:ok:

NutLoose
2nd Sep 2007, 13:03
Pics of the incident............ sorry for the overwriting, but after last time it needs to be done, oh and for the Sun THESE ARE COPYRIGHTED, 2 links and one pic for those with slower connections :}

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/donno2006/TYRE_blown.jpg

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/donno2006/Fire_Service.jpg

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/donno2006/EMERG_fire.jpg

pogop
3rd Sep 2007, 09:31
Apparently the tyre didn't actually "Blow", as it was still inflated on arrival at EMA, but lost the layer of tread. The tread that was thrown off damaged a brake line causing a slight hydraulic leak which was then stopped by the hydraulic fuse in the line. There was no fuel leak, but the fire services were taking no chances when they saw the leak of hydraulic fluid.

old-timer
3rd Sep 2007, 21:39
Well done to the folks inolved, procedures worked fine it seems, routine really, stand down witch hunters 'A' flight

GoDownFighting
4th Sep 2007, 23:31
Avman,
I've just read the whole of this thread and can't believe that nobody commented on your post! Well, be assured I laughed a lot.
We infantile pedants need to stick together.
GDF :D

jetjockey737
6th Sep 2007, 14:08
I got a call about this last week by someone who works in 'customer service' at the airport to tell me she was going to be late because they were on emergency standby because of a thompsonfly diverting into EMA....she then told me " its lost its front wheels, another main wheel and they are foaming the runway for its crash landing"...as soon as she told me that I lost any concern that I had and went back to my paper.

The papers getting it wrong is one thing but a customer service person being told that by ops ( of a different airline I should add) is another!!!

Rudder Pedals
6th Sep 2007, 14:47
Wrong set of wheels. It was fitted with a Courier New set instead of a Times New Roman set. It happens!
haha very good!... :D

fmgc
6th Sep 2007, 19:44
I wouldn't like to be the one making the PAs to the passengers.

Very difficult for the Captain to communicate to the passengers without scaring them silly.