PDA

View Full Version : Canada: Which flight school school choose?

BClouds
31st Aug 2007, 04:08
Good morning everyone,

I have never been to Canada, however i am hearing here and there about good fight schools in canada.

Please let me know of the ones that are reputed.

Very good day,
Antoine

OBBI
31st Aug 2007, 04:14
Moncton Flight College is the best in North america

asian airlines started sending thier cadets pilot for training at MFC

www.mfc.nb.ca (http://www.mfc.nb.cz)

Good Luck

Personal experiance

Canuck15
31st Aug 2007, 04:22
Try Montair

located at CZBB ...Excellent people

done lot of training there my self..

www.montair.com (http://www.montair.com)

good luck

Panama Jack
2nd Sep 2007, 01:35
I'm surprised to hear that Montair has a good reputation. Didn't they have some serious issues a few years ago?

One that I have had first-hand experience with is Professional Flight Centre, also at the Boundary Bay Airport (near Vancouver, British Columbia). John Montgomery has built up a very impressive operation over the years from one that mostly specialized in Instrument Flight Training to one that covers ab-initio airplane and even helicopter.

http://www.proifr.com/ (home page)

http://www.proifr.com/aviation-careers/index.php?uni_id=4 (International Student Info)

Shop around though. Not sure what the cost of flight training is these days in the USA (all the TSA security hassles aside) but the US Dollar is low, and so it may represent a good value for your training (cost of training in Canada is normally higher than in the USA due in part to a punitive tax structure, user fees, etc. and the value of the Canadian Dollar has climbed to almost par the US Dollar.)

BClouds
6th Sep 2007, 16:59
Thank you for the replies.
Professional Flight Center actually looks amazing!

Can you give more more feedbacks?
And who are its partners? I mean do they guarantee us direct job application after the Ab-initio?

Please let more suggestions coming.

BeautifulClouds

Panama Jack
6th Sep 2007, 19:18
I don't know that they, or any Canadian schools have guarantees for job applications with any aviation companies after completing their program. I know this is often offered at some US schools, however, the Canadian industry hasn't been at that level quite yet, and be weary of "guaranteed interviews," as they may be a "go to the interview, answer the questions, get your lollypop and out you go . . . " not necessarily leading to employment.

This could be changing in the future, as Air Canada Jazz, the regional airline of Air Canada has recently started hiring a few candidates directly from a well known aviation college.

I have done some of my Instrument training at "Pro," and I can vouch for the quality of instruction provided as well as John's reputation in the industry.

Good luck though in whichever training option you will take.

BClouds
6th Sep 2007, 21:03
Thanks for the info Jack.

During my researches these past hours, i have fallen on these academies:

Toronto airways http://training.torontoairways.com (http://training.torontoairways.com/)
Algonquin Flight Centre http://www.algonquinflightcentre.com (http://www.algonquinflightcentre.com/)

MFC and AFC look pretty awesome.
I have contacted both these schools, i will visit them soon.

hibypassratio
7th Sep 2007, 14:48
I highly recommend MFC:ok:.

BClouds
7th Sep 2007, 16:22
Thank you :)

Canadian friends, please tell me what you think about Cargair.
http://www.cargair.com

They actually offer JAA ATPL!

BClouds

Red max
28th Sep 2007, 19:57
I'm still not sure which school in what region i will choose, the Algonquin Flight Centre and toronto airways looks promising.
Great thread keep'em coming :ok:

FL470
28th Sep 2007, 20:28
I can highly recommend the Brampton Flight Centre :ok:

www.bramfly.com (http://www.bramfly.com)

Effee
8th Oct 2007, 15:20
Does anyone have any comments on calgary flight training centre ?

RatherBeFlying
13th Oct 2007, 02:26
As of last month, Ontario Flight Schools are being put under the thumb of the Private Career Colleges Act (same as for hairdressers and truck drivers) for Commercial and Flight Instructor courses. The smaller operations are unable to deal with the bureaucracy and fees and are either dropping these programs or going out of business altogether.

BC has had the same thing going on for a bit longer and I hear there is a court challenge under way.

The extra costs will be passed on to the student of course; so, check the Ontario and BC operations for all the fees.

One school I know will be charging an enrollment fee plus a surcharge for each hour.

Now mind if you plan (i.e. are dumb enough) to pay the entire course up front, Ontario and BC do protect your advance payment if the school goes belly up.

In the real world, pay as you go works just fine.

harsh_bhandari
2nd Jan 2008, 17:28
howz the professional flight centre.... and wat is the meaning of ab-initio....
i am an amateur and have lil knowledge... i wanna go for fkight training....
please help...

MidgetBoy
4th Jan 2008, 02:04
Training at CZBB might not be the smartest thing to do. It's much more expensive compared to the other airports nearby. Most of the airwork is done farther from the airport so there's about a 10-15 min flight to get there, and then theres always a line to take off. So your bill comes to about $20-30 more each flight (though you need those hours anyways, many people would rather really fly those hours than go straight for 15 minutes, find out the training area is full with 5-10 aircraft, fly another 10 min and then start training.
Personally I would suggest training at Pitt Meadows airport (CYPK). It's only a few miles from Boundary Bay (CZBB). It's much closer to the training areas, it's a lot less busy. Occasionally you'll find 5 people in the circuit due to newbies from Boundary Bay and Langley coming in (Langley has a very short runway and obstacle clearance for both t/o and ldg). Also, you'll never get lost at CYPK. You can fly to almost any airport nearby by following a river. If you get lost at Boundary Bay and you stray into US territory, be afraid. =P I'm serious though.

nibi786
4th Jan 2008, 08:31
Moncton Flight College - NB

AWESOME WELL FACILITATED PLACE :D

I have done all my JAA training there - very impressed with the level of instruction, the operation and general school + quality of people.....more info? message me :D

Nibi

Ste88
26th Feb 2008, 09:34
Hi all!

I think that in Mocton you can find some problems with the weather condition...what do you think about?

Since the price at ProIfr are very good but i dont understand the topic on taxes on flying school in north bay....

gabon flyer 2
29th Feb 2008, 08:15
Hello there!

I did my initial training with cargair back in the early 2000 based in beleoil ( CSB3)....then they moved to St hubert (CYHU)
I know some of you will ask me about the AC status and to be honest they are quiet old but maintenance is A1...they have their own maintenance and the company is training some asian cadets so in fact they are a little busy .
The airport situation is excellent with all classic type of approchs and the USA border only 5 min away.
The instructor team has maybe a good turn over but as you aviation is booming and i m still in contact with a lot of them including expat who are now flying all over the world.
Let me know if you want to know more
Happy contrails

Ste88
3rd Mar 2008, 14:48
Hi all,

Which is the best school to follow a professional pilto course+CFI license in according to Canada trasportation aviation license and then look for a job place as flight instructor:

Pro Ifr

langley flight school

???

I'm looking for advice

GRAZIE!THANKS

world traveler
4th Mar 2008, 05:41
I did some training at Langley, on the outskirts of Vancouver. The Langley Flying School was a great place to learn. They made it fun, but kept the standards that i had to fly at extremely high. The fleet is not new, but thats a great education for when you hit the real world, and it keeps the price a little lower. Also there is not usually a long wait for traffic there to get airborne. They can take you right thought to your instrument rating, and weather is only a problem more due fog or icing (IFR).

The regularly have guest instructors to run SOP, Turnbine, etc classes. The best part is that you can usually get some accommodation close to the airfield, and it wont break the bank. I suggest that you give the CFI Dave Parry an email, which you can find through the company website www.langleyflyingschool.com (http://www.langleyflyingschool.com)

I had a great experience there, and i am sure that you will too. I am now in Australia and still keep in regualar contact with my instructors. Thats how good the experience was. Flying and friendship.

Ste88
4th Mar 2008, 16:02
mhh the price is very interessing infact with 41kCAD$ We can follow the professional course with accomodation inclusive(about 300CAD$ per mounth). On the other hand we have PROIFR where the cost ONLY for Professional pilot is about 35kCAD$....

I hear around that at proifr there is a very good ifr training....

What about the eviroments(of proifr and langly school?), like community, flight instructor ect ect..?

zapoi67
2nd Jun 2008, 11:02
Stefano, have you obtained more info about Langley ?
Auguri !

winto22
13th Jun 2008, 11:56
BClouds

i just wanted to advise you iam a current student just done ppl from algonquin flight center in north bay ontario via pri academy ,

the training is first class based , check www.priacademy.com (http://www.priacademy.com) or www.algonqinflightcenter.com (http://www.algonqinflightcenter.com) excellent location , staff , aircraft great town to live in , cost very efficient compaired to other schools

im now moving onto night rating , IFR , commercial licence , muti engine and multi ifr + instructor rating ,

an questions feel free and ill give an honest response

happy flying
chris winton

JohnGV
26th Jun 2008, 10:07
Hi all,

Can anyone give any opinions on PPL training at Victoria Flying Club on the Island, BC?

I understand everyone has so far been talking about licencing for more advanced training but i would like to hear very much from people who have done PPL at VFC.

Im due to fly out there to start mine on the 8th July.

What will the weather be look - will i be grounded much?

Any opinions - GREATLY welcome

Thanks JohnGV

grizzled
26th Jun 2008, 11:26
JohnGV

Victoria Flying CLub is professional, well organised, and best of all, has a wide varety of members, instructors and supporters with vast mixed international experience (retired military pilots, airline pilots, AME's etc) to draw on.

The varied geography (mountainous areas, farmland, big city, and vast ocean) is a bonus in terms of the experience all that will give you during your training.

The weather is a toss up. Even in July /August you can sometimes get days on end of rain but generally more apt to be mostly good sunny VFR days.

The Spitfire Grill (on the airport) is the hangout for local aviation types and it's a great restaurant for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

You'll also get to know "The Waddling Dog" -- which is both a a VFR reporting point and a nice little pub. (Stay away if you're flying the next day . . . ;)

Good luck and have fun. You'll love the area.

Canadapilot
26th Jun 2008, 11:26
Hey i'm from the UK too, just finished my CPL/MIFR and now on my instructor rating. I trained out at Boundary Bay in Vancouver which was great...just remember you need to choose a school to get your visa sorted, but once you're here there's NOTHING stopping you changing schools if you're not happy, or even doing your IFR somewhere else...that's what i did and it's given the thumbs-up by Immigration.

JohnGV
26th Jun 2008, 19:49
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback on VFC, i must admit concerned about the VFR days prior to arriving in Victoria.

Luckily my dads canadian and i should have my citizenship papers waitin prior to my arrival so luckily, that side doesnt affect me.

I cant wait, I just hope i can complete my PPL before the winter kicks in!

Is this possible? ive got the funds and am ready to take it on on a fulltime basis until complete. any ideas on a time frame with these factors in mind??

Thanks guys,
Much appreciated
JohnGV

rigpiggy
27th Jun 2008, 02:14
PPL 6 weeks, start before september, if your in Vancouver

JohnGV
27th Jun 2008, 09:50
Thanks rigpiggy,

6weeks - opefully ill get it done before sept then

The inside scoop
12th Aug 2008, 18:38
Whatever you do, avoid a crowd called the Canadian Aviation Academy aka
Pilot Recruitment International
aka
PRI Academy!

Check the posts under Canadian Aviation Academy, the stories from these guys are are really shocking.

They're basically a recruitment company that help themselves to tens of thousands for putting you into a flight school.

Don't say I didn't warn you!

dave1975
26th Aug 2008, 13:49
hey winto22,
do you have a phone number that i could call you on to talk about your experiences on algonquin?

lastdon
26th Aug 2008, 15:09
Hi,

From what i have found (spoken to some students), harvs air seems to be also quite a good place to learn. Can anyone provide comparision between harvs and langley?

Thank you

airtids
29th Aug 2008, 23:44
If you're still considering the coast, check out Pacific Sky Victoria flight training and charter services (http://www.pacificsky.ca). I'm the CFI there. We are a school offering PROFESSIONAL flight training, by instructors who are also charter pilots, and do the job they are training you for every day. Do your research carefully...

Robin

Spitfire1008
4th Sep 2008, 20:09
Hello all, first time poster here, about cargair, i'm there right now going onto my commercial, ifr and instructor. Very good facility, they built a whole new section to the school due to the recent booming business from the asian airliners sending their students. Aircraft are a little old but very well maintained. They also have their own charter company which operates about 8 navajo's and 10 king air's which u can upgrade to after doing a some intsructor work for that all important turbine time. Airport has pretty much all the equipement one requires and the training zone isnt too far off. Airport is about 20 minutes from downtown montreal. So far, very happy there:ok:

remarkablebean
5th Sep 2008, 14:43
I heard good things Spitfire too from some colleagues.

MTC gets my vote - and if you are going to be operating into the UK/Northern Europe during winter the weather patterns out there are ideal for getting some real mucky IFR under your belt.

P.S. Canadian Aviation Academy - I heard by chance CBC is planning a documentary on the "grey" immigration business in Canada - those so-called consultants who empty your wallet and you're basically worse off. Might be worth nominating for a spot.

airtids
9th Sep 2008, 06:17
There's a thread on Avcanada right now about Cargair/Maxaviation canning a pilot for expressing online his thoughts about their pay-for-PPC program.

remarkablebean
9th Sep 2008, 15:19
Yep, gotta be careful online - management are always sniffing around AvCanada and Pprune...and will cite confidentiality as a reason for their actions...

Spitfire - I hope it's not you as your post was nothing but positive...

Spitfire1008
9th Sep 2008, 21:50
Thanks for the concern, but it's not me, i will check that out though

sufi
4th Jan 2011, 18:33
Toronto airways seems to be the best . they have a large number of fleets . veryyyyy good airport (controlled) , they own their airport . good simulators . they also give you a job after training , they says !! nd alot of facilities . very big school !http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

I am planning to go in toronto airways ! i am a international student in canada . and will join toronto airways after couple of months . guys i really need your advices on this . what should i do ? should i go there ? i am intrested . because they seem to be very impressive !http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif bundle of thanx in advance !http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

nibi786
6th Jan 2011, 16:11
Hi Danish!

I have trained at MFC in the years you mention - EXCELLENT PLACE! I have been exposed to many flight training schools in Europe, Canada and America and can say with confidence and pride that I am a graduate of MFC! They are an excellent Flight training organisation and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them! My overall experience was a definite 10/10! :D

your articles in retrospect show the funding they recieved - If I was head of the province, I would also help a business that was doing well and giving to the local economy.

The last link you provide has NOTHING to do with MFC, in fact its about a small school based out of Cape Breton (some 500kms away)! so I suggest you remove that unfair association ;) all in all - a great place to train :cool:

EStrike101
6th Jan 2011, 21:52
Would you guys recommend Coastal Pacific Aviation in Langley, BC? I want to go there because I want a degree along with CPL, ME, IR.

aviator86
9th Jan 2011, 14:58
I would suggest you PRO ifr. excellent professional training. Stay out of Manitoba, on an average usually 4months go waste in a year due to bad weather, to make things worse schools are more money oriented.

Jerry Lee
9th Jan 2011, 17:03
I might be off topic, but can someone give me some advice/suggest on which would be the best route to choose?

So, as I'd really like to transfer in Canada to do flight training, study and live definitely (hope to get the residency status a day) I'm looking which route choose to become a professional pilot in Canada.

1) Go at an university in the area of Toronto, maybe York University and study Disaster & Emergency Management or something else, and at the same time work hardly to fly as much as possible to get a CPL, IATRA, and Flight Instructor Rating, and while finishing the university working as Fligh Instructor somewhere in the area of Toronto.

2) Go to a Flight College like Moncton Flight College and get a 2 years diploma and Flight Instructor Rating, hope to get hired or find a job anywhere in Canada as Flight Instructor or something else.

3) Go either to Seneca or to Coastal Pacific and get a Bachelor's Degree + Flight Instructor Rating and look for a whichever flying job everywhere in Canada.

Remember, I'm italian and I will come in Canada as an international student who wants to live definitely in Canada...

Many thanks in advance for your help!

confusedcanuck
12th Jan 2011, 00:38
Hi,

I just graduated from MFC in November of 2010. I don't know much about the other schools but I can give you a bit of info that might help.

1)Firstly, MFC is a great school, there are 4 or 5 around Canada that are top notch, MFC is one of them. Another is Brampton Flying Club which is also great.
If you want to know the best flying schools, go and check the website of the Webster Memorial Trophy. It is a competition for the best private pilot in Canada and consists of the best students from the best schools in the country. Check the Regional Finalists sections from recent years and jot down the number of times each school is represented, that'll give you a good indication of the best schools. Brampton is almost always in it as is MFC. The Webster Memorial Trophy Competition Regional Finalists (http://webstertrophy.ca/regional-finalists)

2) You're on the right track with choosing your overall education strategy, i.e. whether to pursue a degree or not. I chose to do a 4 year economics degree and then do the ICPC course at MFC after that (completed all in just over 5 years). I completed the flying course in 1 and a few months, but the average is around one and half years. The course says 48 weeks but that is assuming the weather is always perfect. Note that MFC also has a degree program with Mount Allison University, its still in the experimental phase, which is 20 minutes from Moncton. Having lived there for a year I met a lot of Allison graduates and they rave about their university, infact it more often than not is ranked as the best undergraduate university in Canada! That program will give you a bachelors of science with a frozen ATPL in 4 years.

The University of Western Ontario had a Aviation Management program, I'm not sure if its still around or not, but I do know a few people who took it and it was a lot of work. Last I heard, the school that was doing their flying became exclusively a training centre for Chinese airlines, I don't know whether the course still exists. Its called the Aviation Management program, and UWO is also a top quality school. BUT this is a management degree, not a science degree, keep that in mind, if you plan on working for an airline a management degree would be leaps and bounds better than a science degree, I still don't understand why pilots who want to work for airlines need science degrees.

Finally, Seneca, if you get to talk to them ask them this question, and I would like an answer as well because its a real problem; Where are they going to do their flying? Because Buttonville is closing and their campus was right beside it. If thats where they do it from, and I think it is, it might be a problem. The other issue is they are based in Toronto and that means expensive, expensive and more expensive. However, having said that their program has years behind it and It seems to be put together very well. If you are new to Canada as well it might be easier to fit in to the cosmopolitan atmosphere of Toronto being that there are so many Italians there and it might be easier for you living there. I say this as I also immigrated to Canada and spent years in London Ontario at UWO and certainly missed some of the comforts of home which were available in Toronto.

Oh, and finally, if you have the brains to do a degree, do one it is vastly superior to a diploma and a number of ways and airlines look highly upon them.

I hope this information was useful if you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

Jerry Lee
12th Jan 2011, 15:44
Which flight school would you suggest me in Montreal?
Are there any aviation college or aviation (business) related university degree in the province of Qučbec?

Alex2
3rd Dec 2018, 15:27
Hello there!!
I'm planning on obtaining CPL followed by ATPL (frozen) in Canada. Have a doubt between Moncton flight college and Academy of Aeronautics (Montreal). Both seem to be respectable schools. May somebody advise me which school to choose please considering job possibilities after graduating? I'm an international student from Russia. Thanks in advance!!

Capt.Tiger424sqn
4th Dec 2018, 02:01
Brampton flight centre. You can get done fast!

Alex2
6th Dec 2018, 15:29
Thanks for response. How fast is it meant? MFC offers 1 year frozen ATPL program.

Yoohj
18th Dec 2018, 17:52
Many foreigner study pilot in there

Darthkader
26th Dec 2018, 14:46
I was also an International student at MFC, i completed the ICPC course in 18 months, I could have finished sooner but i had a part-time job while studying. After your studies the college offers the Instructor course and you're almost guaranteed a job when you're done. As long as you're not incompetent.