PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled services and unlicensed airfields.

Say again s l o w l y
30th Aug 2007, 21:48
A quick question. Can scheduled flights be operated from an unlicensed airfield?

Even if the Operator has the unlicensed field on its AOC and is normally allowed to operate to these fields on a charter basis?

Thanks.

p.s I am talking about the UK.

Spitoon
31st Aug 2007, 07:45
Quick answer because it's a complex issue and a) you havent given enough info and b) I haven't got time to explain where it gets messy (and it's while since I last thought about the topic so I'd need to check all the rules again!).

If the flight is carrying pax the answer should be no - take a look at ANO Art 126. But as you note ANO art 6 allows an AOC holder to do anything if it is specified in the AOC - and in some cases in the past I think this has included regular operations from unlicensed fields. The definition of scheduled in ANO Art 155 may also be relevant.

Say again s l o w l y
31st Aug 2007, 08:39
Its a service using Islanders, normal MTOW is above 2730kg, but you coud reregister them for a lower authorised weight. Does that make a difference?

Thanks for that, it's nice to just get good info on this site rather than the noise that is usually generated!

Tinstaafl
31st Aug 2007, 20:02
Loganair operated scheduled services using BN2 Islanders into unlic. fields at 2994 kg MTOW. Not sure if the service was *technically* 'scheduled' or was some form of charter (albeit with published departure/arrival times & routes).

Say again s l o w l y
9th Sep 2007, 19:42
Thanks for that. Much appreciated.